Md vs dds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrStraggler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! As can be seen through my previous posts, I've been thinking about switching to pre dent from pre med. Mainly because I'd like to have more of a family life that some med careers allow.

Financial and job security is the most important thing to me when picking between medicine and dentistry, as it's a commodity that I've seen little of in my life. I love many aspects of medicine and dentistry, and find that I'd be happy with eithere.

So, my main question is, which career, dentistry or medicine-internal, has more job/financial security?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Which one is greater, one or uno?

Members don't see this ad :)
medicine for sure, you can almost work wherever whenever you want. Doctors are always needed. Dentists need to establish themselves.

In comparison to most other jobs and professions there is far greater job security in both dentistry and medicine.

I'd probably guess medicine. But that's about the only 1-up that medicine has on dentistry in my book.

cereal-guy-newspaper-guy

I say medicine just because that is one less person I have to compeye with lol jk. They are both such awesome careers. Medicine is cool because one day someone might get hurt and you can run in front or a crowd and yell " it's okay, I'm a doctor" lol sorry for the lame response....I'm in lab waiting for a reaction to finish

have fun with 4 yrs of school, 4+ yr internal med residency, then little reimbursement from insurance companies and massive bureaucratic bs

medicine for sure, you can almost work wherever whenever you want. Doctors are always needed. Dentists need to establish themselves.

In comparison to most other jobs and professions there is far greater job security in both dentistry and medicine.

But is it common for dentists to graduate and have a hard time finding work?

I think think is true for several medical specialties as well.

If you're doing medicine and you go into something like primary care (IM, family, OBYN) or become an ICU physician you will get a job anywhere. Though, for more desirable locations it may be more difficult to establish yourself in a saturated specialty.

If you're in California or NYC, yeah. Everywhere else, no.

Hello! As can be seen through my previous posts, I've been thinking about switching to pre dent from pre med. Mainly because I'd like to have more of a family life that some med careers allow.

Financial and job security is the most important thing to me when picking between medicine and dentistry, as it's a commodity that I've seen little of in my life. I love many aspects of medicine and dentistry, and find that I'd be happy with eithere.

So, my main question is, which career, dentistry or medicine-internal, has more job/financial security?

Thanks!

no one can answer this....

die-hard pre-dents will say dentistry (or both)
die-hard pre-MD/DOs will say medicine (or both)

dentists will say dentistry
doctors will say medicine

you see the trend?

IMO, it depends on your business mentality and negotiation skills. If you don't know how to negotiate a salary, don't know how to deal with patients, don't know how to deal with office-booking AND ARE NOT WILLING TO LEARN IT.... perhaps a steady income from a hospital-base position (MD) is better suit..... And vice versa.

I strongly believe, that a dentist whom understands business, location, advertisements and most importantly, satellites their office are some of the heaviest income generators. At one point, my sister worked as a assistant for a dentist whom owned 8 private practices lol, he sore to her he used to pull about 1.8 (AFTER OVERHEAD) a year :eek:

I think you make more money as a dentist, all things being equal, malpractice insurance and insurance in general eats up more of the pie. I know a doctor and they'll prescribe drugs left and right (they are obviously more careful with controlled substances but still) I was like this person had a headache for only one day why would you prescribe ____ he's like "oh it's just a business, people are stupid they feel bad one morning and they go to the doctor, and if i don't give them any medicine they think i won't help them" So honestly, I think there's more room in medicine to be unethical than there is with dentists.

Thanks!

They both provide job and financial security. It all depends on what you prefer to do. DP

I think you make more money as a dentist, all things being equal, malpractice insurance and insurance in general eats up more of the pie.

Do you think dentists don't have to pay malpractice and insurance? In general, a doctor will make more then a dentist in terms of salary. Bottom line, that's the truth.

So honestly, I think there's more room in medicine to be unethical than there is with dentists.

:laugh: You haven't been to enough dentists offices then. At least with medicine, you can go online to see what your doctor is prescribing. With dentistry, you have no idea if your dentist is taking you for a ride unless you get a second opinion.

I'm a dental student. I love dentistry. But I don't think you should just create facts to make dentistry look more appealing.

Do you think dentists don't have to pay malpractice and insurance? In general, a doctor will make more then a dentist in terms of salary. Bottom line, that's the truth.

:laugh: You haven't been to enough dentists offices then. At least with medicine, you can go online to see what your doctor is prescribing. With dentistry, you have no idea if your dentist is taking you for a ride unless you get a second opinion.

I'm a dental student. I love dentistry. But I don't think you should just create facts to make dentistry look more appealing.

I'm not creating facts, that's my opinion, I did say 'i think'.

It was my understanding that the dentists' malpractice insurancs isn't as bad as let's say a surgeon's. I personally think I could make a lot of money as a dentist but I'm a little bias if I may say so myself. Besides, it all boils down to business sense and location IMO.

I think you make more money as a dentist, all things being equal, malpractice insurance and insurance in general eats up more of the pie. I know a doctor and they'll prescribe drugs left and right (they are obviously more careful with controlled substances but still) I was like this person had a headache for only one day why would you prescribe ____ he's like "oh it's just a business, people are stupid they feel bad one morning and they go to the doctor, and if i don't give them any medicine they think i won't help them" So honestly, I think there's more room in medicine to be unethical than there is with dentists.

I guess you don't hear about your best friends "needed" $900 crown when in reality, all he needed was an $80 restoration lol.

There is PLENTY of room to be unethical in dentistry.... Probably more so than medicine.