MD vs. DO school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zamba

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN people,

Thank you for continued support in this forum. I have been accepted to an MD and a DO school. The MD school is CMED (Central Michigan University) and the D.O. school is Midwestern in Illinois. There are pros and cons to both schools and I have made my lists, but I was just wondering if anyone can chime in with some advice between picking an MD or DO school.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

So only looking at MD vs. DO, you should pick MD in like 98% of cases. It will help come residency time because unfortunately there is still bias against DOs in certain residencies and programs, even when they are equally qualified.

That being said, everyone's situation is different. If you tell me that you have a family that can't move and is near the DO school, well then you have bigger responsibilities and act accordingly, and will still be a successful physician.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should attend CMU because
1. There is still a stigma for DOs
2. CCOM’s pricetag is outrageous, and a massive difference compared to IS tuition at CMU (assuming you are IS)
3. If you’re IS at MI, hopefully family will be closer for you.
4. P/F grading at CMU is way better than a graded curriculum at CCOM.

Reactions: 2 users
You should attend CMU because
1. There is still a stigma for DOs
2. CCOM’s pricetag is outrageous, and a massive difference compared to IS tuition at CMU (assuming you are IS)
3. If you’re IS at MI, hopefully family will be closer for you.
4. P/F grading at CMU is way better than a graded curriculum at CCOM.
Thank you! I would be out of state at CMU and in state at Chicago, but the tuition is still pretty high in Chicago

Hi SDN people,

Thank you for continued support in this forum. I have been accepted to an MD and a DO school. The MD school is CMED (Central Michigan University) and the D.O. school is Midwestern in Illinois. There are pros and cons to both schools and I have made my lists, but I was just wondering if anyone can chime in with some advice between picking an MD or DO school.

Thank you!
You already asked this in the non-Trad forum. Don't cross post

Is it true that there is still stigma associated with a DO education?
Yes. Do you wanna close your eyes and apply to every residency program in the country without worrying about if they’ll take you or not? If yes, pick MD. You’ll also be invited at places while scoring 10-20 points lower than your DO friends. There’s multiple filters we have to run through before we apply for residencies as a DO. When I read “what are my chances” or rank list posts on sdn, I can tell right away if they’re an MD or DO without clicking on their profile. This is one of the unwanted superpowers you’ll gain as a DO

Last edited:
Yes. Do you wanna close your eyes and apply to every residency program in the country without worrying about if they’ll take you or not? If yes, pick MD. You’ll also be invited at places while scoring 10-20 points lower than your DO friends. There’s multiple filters we have to run through before we apply for residencies as a DO. When I read “what are my chances” or rank list posts on sdn, I can tell right away if they’re an MD or DO without clicking on their profile. This is one of the unwanted superpowers you’ll gain as a DO
Thank you for your feedback. It is ridiculous~

Hi SDN people,

Thank you!
go read the DO medical student forum, especially what they are saying about NBOME, AOA, COCA and the DO schools. You are signing up for 400 hours of OMM, which alot of DO students refer to as quackery and they absolutely hate it. Also post this question on the DO medical student forum and the answer will be more obvious to you.

Reactions: 1 users