MD vs NP in international reproductive health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zelph_33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm currently in nursing school trying to figure out where to go from here. What I want to eventually end up doing is working for an NGO or something similar trying to promote reproductive health in developing countries. My current dilema is trying to figure out where to go after I get my RN.

On one hand from what I understand MDs are a fairly universal degree with very little restrictions that won't vary as much when compared to trying to work overseas with an NP or PA. I assume I will learn more practical skills and less nursing theory, something especially DNPs are notorious for. The downside is a considerable more time in school, especially where I am already spending longer on my bachelors than average because I wasn't originally a nursing major, and am having to grapple with the bureaucratic obstacles in the way of people who change their path in college. I would likely go for a post-baccalaureate program to bridge the gap in med school prereqs, which will be another 1-2 years, plus any extra time for an MPH.

The benefits of an NP would obviously be less time, but there are possibly some practical advantages that I was hoping someone could clarify for me. First of all, I'm more interested in spreading birth control and other preventative measures than delivering babies. I contacted Planned Parenthood a little while ago, and they informed me that they really didn't use doctors, except for in executive positions. Considering the current head of Planned Parenthood is a history major with no formal medical training, it's hard not to wonder if the extra time would be worth it. This of course could be something unique to a country like the US, and shouldn't be generalized to less developed countries. What is the roll of MDs in preventative reproductive health? I'm not necessarily that concerned with owning my own practice, and the research I'm interested in is more epidemiological than developing treatments. I guess the best way to sum up my interest in research is applying and finding ways to implement what we already know to places that desperately need it , rather than come up with new treatments. If the main perks of going through med school would be executive positions, I would rather do patient care. My main concern is that is seems that higher level nursing is starting to push towards DNP degrees, and a 4 year degree of mostly theory seems very unappealing to me. I also don't want solid opportunities to fall away because I chose the wrong degree.

While I'm sure either path would provide a fulfilling career, I have already invested enough in this dream that I do not want to be held back, even if it means giving up the next decade of my life. Thanks in advance for any and all advice you can give me, I greatly appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I'm more interested in spreading birth control and other preventative measures than delivering babies.

If this is what you are ultimately passionate about, and less interested in delivering, doing surgery and performing more direct clinical patient assessment and treatment then I think that becoming an advanced practice nurse could be sufficient to achieve this.

What is the roll of MDs in preventative reproductive health?
Ob/gyn physicians are the ultimate clinical experts in all aspects of female reproductive health.

the research I'm interested in... applying and finding ways to implement what we already know to places that desperately need it , rather than come up with new treatments...
you could certainly perform such research without being an Ob/gyn or having any clinical experience. Many Ob/gyn's do perform research exactly like this, but the main focus of becoming an Ob/gyn is to become the clinical expert in pregnancy, child birth and gynecology.

If the main perks of going through med school would be executive positions, I would rather do patient care.
I can tell you with 100% certainty that the main perk of going through med school is not obtaining executive positions (as you already noted the history major in your post). Becoming a physician through med school and the grueling Ob/gyn residency gives you the ability to take care of just about any healthy or sick pregnant female and fetus with any variety of comorbidities or acute illnesses (pregnant women get sick too) with medical or surgical treatment as necessary. So... If your goal is to be able to go to an underserved location abroad and have the ability to safely manage just any pregnant patient that walks through your door then the path you need to take is medical school followed by residency.

It sounds like you are more interested in providing contraception and studying preventative reproductive health issues, which is certainly doable as an advanced nurse with research training.

Good luck.

Hey everyone, I'm currently in nursing school trying to figure out where to go from here. What I want to eventually end up doing is working for an NGO or something similar trying to promote reproductive health in developing countries. My current dilema is trying to figure out where to go after I get my RN.

On one hand from what I understand MDs are a fairly universal degree with very little restrictions that won't vary as much when compared to trying to work overseas with an NP or PA. I assume I will learn more practical skills and less nursing theory, something especially DNPs are notorious for. The downside is a considerable more time in school, especially where I am already spending longer on my bachelors than average because I wasn't originally a nursing major, and am having to grapple with the bureaucratic obstacles in the way of people who change their path in college. I would likely go for a post-baccalaureate program to bridge the gap in med school prereqs, which will be another 1-2 years, plus any extra time for an MPH.

The benefits of an NP would obviously be less time, but there are possibly some practical advantages that I was hoping someone could clarify for me. First of all, I'm more interested in spreading birth control and other preventative measures than delivering babies. I contacted Planned Parenthood a little while ago, and they informed me that they really didn't use doctors, except for in executive positions. Considering the current head of Planned Parenthood is a history major with no formal medical training, it's hard not to wonder if the extra time would be worth it. This of course could be something unique to a country like the US, and shouldn't be generalized to less developed countries. What is the roll of MDs in preventative reproductive health? I'm not necessarily that concerned with owning my own practice, and the research I'm interested in is more epidemiological than developing treatments. I guess the best way to sum up my interest in research is applying and finding ways to implement what we already know to places that desperately need it , rather than come up with new treatments. If the main perks of going through med school would be executive positions, I would rather do patient care. My main concern is that is seems that higher level nursing is starting to push towards DNP degrees, and a 4 year degree of mostly theory seems very unappealing to me. I also don't want solid opportunities to fall away because I chose the wrong degree.

While I'm sure either path would provide a fulfilling career, I have already invested enough in this dream that I do not want to be held back, even if it means giving up the next decade of my life. Thanks in advance for any and all advice you can give me, I greatly appreciate it :)

I think the biggest factor you have to consider is that for the scope of work you want to do an MD is overkill, given the time and cost. Postbac 1-2 years (fees at a public vs private school but let's say public - $10,000). Then you need to take the MCAT and do well enough to get into led school. Med school 4 years (avg debt is around $150,000). You said you wanted an MPH 1-2 years (can be free in some cases but let's say $40,000). Residency 3-4 years (family medicine vs OBGYN). So that's basically 8-10 years until you even approach doing what you want to do AND you are $200,000 in the hole. You will then apply for an NGO earning maybe $30,000 a year. It's kind of a non-starter.

PA or advanced practice nurse would be a much more practical way to do it. 3 years of intensive schooling, with hopefully a scholarship, and you can practice right off the bat. If you aren't interested in actual healthcare delivery then looking for an MPH or Msc in health sciences that focuses on international public health and epidemiology would be definitely suitable to your needs!

I don't mean to dash your dreams but it's a LONG road on the MD path. I hope to one day be able to work abroad (I did international multilateral work in mongolia as part of my MPH) but there's little opportunity for me to do that again in a meaningful way at least while I'm a resident.

Good luck!

If I were you I would research what types of jobs being an RN could land you. The last few times I have gone to my county planned parenthood for birth control, I have been examined and seen completely by a nurse (RN) who counseled me on types of birth control and gave me what I needed for my year. No NP or doctor involved. I think the only limitation was to have an IUD placed I would need an NP appointment.
It's possible that to give out contraceptives with your RN (working under supervision) you just need hands on training to learn a good speculum exam technique and the knowledge about all the different methods. You should definitely look into this option.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited: