MD vs. PhD: Money Issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If you were in my shoes, MD or PhD?

• MD

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • PhD

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters

Palaver87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering which degree I should pursue after undergrad. If money wasn't an issue, I would go to graduate school. But, I want to be able to live in a upper middle class neighborhood when I get older. I also would like to send my kids to decent schools and not have arguments with my wife because I'm not bringing home enough bread. Moreover, I like women, and women like MDs more than PhDs. I don't necessarily dislike becoming a doctor. I have volunteered and shadowed, and I like it, but I like research better. Lastly, if I decide to go to graduate school, I am going all out to shoot for a tenure professor position. This means I will be making about 30K as a postdoc, about 50-70K as an assistant/associate professor, and then about 100-120K as a professor.

So, basically it boils down to choices A and B. If you were in my shoes, which would you choose and why?

A: MD = Like job, money (good neighborhood, kids to private schools), hot wife (haha)
B: PhD = Awesome job, broke until 40s, okay wife

And, I would rather not do MD/PhD because you cannot really own in practice and research. I think you really need to pick one.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, if you get a PhD, your wife will yell at you for money, which can easily solved by winning the lottery. if you get and MD, your wife will yell at you for never being home, and then because you are a jerk when you are home because you hate your job so much.

"Hot wife" versus "okay wife"? Haha what is this, do you plan to go down to Bob's Discount Wife Emporium and get the best wife your salary can buy?

I mean I feel bad just making fun of you but jesus christ, stop thinking like that.

In case you were wondering, there are attractive female scientists (PhD) out there. Most fo them (something like 80%) end up marrying male PhD scientists (engineering and math also count), while 30% of the men marry female PhDs.

I say do yourself a favor and don't go into something that will make your life miserable for the end of days. And no, a "hot wife haha" won't solve your problems.

Moreover, I like women, and women like MDs more than PhDs. I don't necessarily dislike becoming a doctor.

*cough* Uh, yeah sure. I for one would think several times over before marrying an MD because they will NEVER be home. So I guess it's up to you. Do you want someone who wants you for your money or your mind?

If you just like it and know you would enjoy something else much more, do not go for the MD. You will likely end up regretting the decision every day at work. It's not like your plan B only pays $20k a year, so you will still make pretty good money as a PhD. And speaking of money, many graduate programs in the sciences PAY you to go to school. Okay, as a doc you will be making 6 figures right out of residency, but don't forget the 6 figure debt you have sitting in the bank...with interest. I will not comment on the wife thing.

I am wondering which degree I should pursue after undergrad. If money wasn't an issue, I would go to graduate school. But, I want to be able to live in a upper middle class neighborhood when I get older. I also would like to send my kids to decent schools and not have arguments with my wife because I'm not bringing home enough bread. Moreover, I like women, and women like MDs more than PhDs. I don't necessarily dislike becoming a doctor. I have volunteered and shadowed, and I like it, but I like research better. Lastly, if I decide to go to graduate school, I am going all out to shoot for a tenure professor position. This means I will be making about 30K as a postdoc, about 50-70K as an assistant/associate professor, and then about 100-120K as a professor.

So, basically it boils down to choices A and B. If you were in my shoes, which would you choose and why?

A: MD = Like job, money (good neighborhood, kids to private schools), hot wife (haha)

And, I would rather not do MD/PhD because you cannot really own in practice and research. I think you really need to pick one.

What makes you think Ph.D.'s don't (can't) make good money?

5-6 years in grad school= $25K stipend (increases yearly)plus tuition (which can be up to 35K, depending on the school)

2-4 years postdoc= $40K (increases yearly)

Getting a job= most of the recent hires I know in biotech, etc. have started around $100K, in academia between $60 and $90K (but there are other perks to this track like summer salary and consulting)

no debt (unless you CHOOSE to take additional loans; you can live on the amount they give you)= very nice:)

Do whatever's more interesting. A Ph.D. is hard. Med school is hard. Deal with it:)

Or work for a pharm company. You can make > $100K, which isn't bad!!

In case you were wondering, there are attractive female scientists (PhD) out there. Most fo them (something like 80%) end up marrying male PhD scientists (engineering and math also count), while 30% of the men marry female PhDs.

I second that. I know someone who's doing a PhD in Chem and she's good/hot enough to be Ms. Universe.