MDACC, Protons, Chinese Investment Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I buy a share in that MDACC proton center too?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Sure, if you sweeten the deal by offering “consulting” and speaker opportunities etc in China to key people in the institution.

Like Wallnerus says above, I'm not sure that I'll ever "get it".

Can I buy a share in that MDACC proton center too?
I'm also not sure that profitability was the goal of this foreign investment.

MDACC signed a strategic partnership with a Chinese medical company (to the extent that this is different than signing a deal with the Chinese gvt is unclear to me) years after this ownership agreement with their US proton center. Was the partial ownership deal basically a way to sell (or give away) part of their debt? I believe MDACC was heavily leveraged at some point.

Regarding the "strategic partnership", this could mean anything. MDACC could largely be selling their name (MDACC brand probably strong in China).

I doubt that MDACC can directly make money off of cash services for proton therapy in the country with the 2nd largest number of millionaires globally. Is this a threat to US security? I don't think so.

Am I concerned about espionage and international intellectual property theft with regard to proton technology? No.

Is this typical, crummy corporate medicine? I'm sure.

Am I a little concerned that this "strategic partnership" could lead to some shady clinical trial findings regarding proton therapy from China? Yes.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Watch in the next few months if China's economy crashes - MDACC fraction numbers and percentage of proton treatments also goes up in direct correlation.

Start shaping your tin foil hats people

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
BUY THE DIP
1634236881595.png

Does this mean I can add "Adjunct Professor at MD Anderson" to my email signature block?

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users