MDapplicants.com is it real?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. N

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across this website and after reading profiles of the applicants I got depressed. Are they real, about 99% of the profiles that I looked at look way too perfect. Before looking at this website I thought that I have pretty good chance to get in, but now I feel bad with my science GPA 3.77 :(

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. N said:
I came across this website and after reading profiles of the applicants I got depressed. Are they real, about 99% of the profiles that I looked at look way too perfect. Before looking at this website I thought that I have pretty good chance to get in, but now I feel bad with my science GPA 3.77 :(

Just remember:

The majority of those who post on mdapplicants are either the cream of the crop OR are bsing.

A 3.77 science gpa is quite good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. N said:
i highly doubt that you looked at 99% of the approximately 1600 applicant profiles. and even though there are applicants with high numbers...the people that set up mdapplicants do their best to weed out "fake" profiles because that helps absolutely noone.

there are also a good deal of applicants with gpa much lower than your very high 3.77 that post on mdapplicants as well.

why feel bad about a site where its voluntary to sign up and enter a profile? its just a nice way to search up people or follow someone's progress. the application process is random and if you dont end up getting into a school its not gonna because of your numbers.

jlee9531 said:
i highly doubt that you looked at 99% of the approximately 1600 applicant profiles. and even though there are applicants with high numbers...the people that set up mdapplicants do their best to weed out "fake" profiles because that helps absolutely noone.

there are also a good deal of applicants with gpa much lower than your very high 3.77 that post on mdapplicants as well.

why feel bad about a site where its voluntary to sign up and enter a profile? its just a nice way to search up people or follow someone's progress. the application process is random and if you dont end up getting into a school its not gonna because of your numbers.

Actually, I did not say that I looked at 99% of all profiles. I said that about 99% of profiles that I LOOKED AT. but thanks any way.

Dr. N said:
Actually, I did not say that I looked at 99% of all profiles. I said that about 99% of profiles that I LOOKED AT. but thanks any way.
my bad...

but even then...to have looked at 99% of the ones you looked at would have required you to look at the least 100 profiles. ;)

good day.

maybe Dr. N looked at 50 and 49 were great..so that's 98% and then 1 was partly good, solid MCAT, low GPA, but great EC's so that might mean 99% of what was viewed was solid, and then the last profile was sucky.

I think many of the people on that site are being real. Why lie? I do think that we have a sampling error though, like others have said, because those that report are usually overachievers, etc..

LP1CW said:
maybe Dr. N looked at 50 and 49 were great..so that's 98% and then 1 was partly good, solid MCAT, low GPA, but great EC's so that might mean 99% of what was viewed was solid, and then the last profile was sucky.

I think many of the people on that site are being real. Why lie? I do think that we have a sampling error though, like others have said, because those that report are usually overachievers, etc..

maybe you are right, sample size does matter, plus probably people who did not get in because of their low GPA MCAT and other factors, did not bother to post their profile.

It's self-selecting (a little like most people here on SDN who post stats). Usually, those with good stats will post...for whatever reason (not going to get into that here! :) ). People with not-as-stellar stats tend to be a little more shy/reserved.

Dr. N said:

Thats cuz you're only looking at the profiles for harvard and hopkins. Dip a little lower and you'll see your gpa is fine. In fact your SciGPA is well above the mdapplicants average.

I agree with above posters. In fact, if you do an advanced search with science GPA's between a 3.7 and 3.77 (so your science GPA and just lower than it) that have received acceptances you get a ton of profiles that come up. I wouldn't worry (unless your heart is set on Harvard or Hopkins).

Dr. N said:

I did a search of applicants with MCAT scores greater than 1 (presumably all of the applicants) and I found the following averages:

MCAT - 31.7
GPA - 3.61

The MCAT average is a little on the high side but the average GPA is actually lower than the average matriculant GPA (3.62).

exmike said:
Thats cuz you're only looking at the profiles for harvard and hopkins. Dip a little lower and you'll see your gpa is fine. In fact your SciGPA is well above the mdapplicants average.
in fact, my targer for research was Unive of Colorado, and MAYO

Dr. N said:
I think it is probably a bit scewed toward higher scores, but still interesting to check out. If you look around more (not just at "top schools") there are definitely plenty of people there with lower numbers.

Dr. N, I am on there at University of Colorado and I can guarantee your Science GPA beats mine by a lot. My MCAT scores make up for it but I can assure you that you can get into CU with a 3.77 science GPA.

hakksar said:
Dr. N, I am on there at University of Colorado and I can guarantee your Science GPA beats mine by a lot. My MCAT scores make up for it but I can assure you that you can get into CU with a 3.77 science GPA.

thanks hakksar, check your PM

MDapplicants only made me feel like i am the stupidest person in this world :oops:

mackaikai said:
MDapplicants only made me feel like i am the stupidest person in this world :oops:

that is what I am talking about! :scared:

I think that people need to realize that, as reflected by mdapplicants.com, that there are tons of other people with good stats and decent EC's, so don't get too cockey and take this admissions game lightly. Competition is fierce.

I have met people who think that just because they have 3.6 from Stanford or some Ivy League schools along with 33-34 MCAT scores they should be interviewed by all top 10 med schools and accepted by a couple of them. Realistically, unless you have 3.8 and 36 MCAT, it is hard to argue that you have a "good" chance of getting into a top 10 schools (just browse medapplicants.com more carefully). The bottomline is all med schools (especially the top ones) will try to tell you that they look at the whole applications and see applicants as individuals, so you should always apply and never rule them out. Come to think of it, it is similar to undergraduate admissions (how do you think that harvard manages to push its admissions rate to below 10%? do you think that any harvard admissions person will tell an applicant that he or she is not good enough for harvard? No! they will always tell the applicants the same crap you hear right now... "we look at the whole application so even though your class rank is top 15% only and your SAT is 1350, please do apply and give it a shot....and pay that application fees too...). All decent applicants to Harvard or Hopkins med have at least 3.6 and 33 MCAT. So unless you open a health clinic for the needed in Africa or vaccinate a whole city in some third world country single handedly, don't expect to use your "all-around" applications to impress the admissions committee because quite frankly, everyone has a little bit of research and has volunteered in the local hospital to some extent. In the end, when everyone's EC's and essays are similar, what do they look for? Well, the higher the GPA and the higher the MCAT, the better. This is not hard to figure out.

However, you certainly don't need 3.8 and 36 MCAT to get into "a" med school. People here and on mdapplicants.com are a little too into name brand. There is nothing wrong with 3.6 GPA and 31 MCAT from Stanford or some Ivy League schools because it is almost a certainty that if you apply to enough med schools with that stat and have no hidden skeleton in your closet, you will get into a medical school and be a doctor! Be proud of your application but just be careful not to think that you are unique and deserve to be begged by Hopkins to attend their med school.