MD's and academic medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkChild

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
out of curiousity, how many MD applicants are interested in academic medicine...
are there any MD applicants who are very interested in doing research too?
and for those med students who do research, if you ultimately want to practice, why the interest in research?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to get into academic medicine, but nothing lab bench research related, but more clinical. I enjoy teaching a lot, but although I do have a lot of research experience, I just don't see myself being happy doing that for the rest of my life, however patient care and teaching medical students on clinical care of the patient is really what I'm aiming for in the future....anybody else?

Originally posted by DarkChild
out of curiousity, how many MD applicants are interested in academic medicine...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Dr. Don
I want to get into academic medicine, but nothing lab bench research related, but more clinical. I enjoy teaching a lot, but although I do have a lot of research experience, I just don't see myself being happy doing that for the rest of my life, however patient care and teaching medical students on clinical care of the patient is really what I'm aiming for in the future....anybody else?

Hey,
I'm kind of leaning in that direction too. I find lab work impossibly boring, but I definitely enjoy teaching. So I can see myself doing just that: clinical care and teaching medical students.

thE pAkht

so... how do we get into it? how do we get to become clinical professors? anyone know? :) it sounds like great fun to me

I'm interested in academic medicine. I am interested in clinical academics for two reasons:

1) I enjoy teaching.

2) I am interested in application of optimization methods in medicine.

Yeah I think academic medicine is great because it allows you to

1. Teach
2. Conduct clinical trials/be more intimately connected to the PhD research that will eventually reach mainstream (ie be on cutting edge)
3. Coworkers are awesome, it is a more team-oriented atmosphere
4. It would just be so darn cool to say "I work at the * University Medical School"

I hope to go into academic medicine. I want to see patients and conduct translational research. I also don't mind the idea of teaching.

Originally posted by DarkChild

and for those med students who do research, if you ultimately want to practice, why the interest in research?

Why the interest in research? Because I am not satisfied with the current state of knowledge, and I desperately want to do something to improve the situation. I also have a lot of research experience, and I seem to be pretty good at it. I find research can be immenesly enjoyable one day, and very boring the next.

I'm definitely leaning in that direction. It's funny because I didn't realize it at first, and actually didn't apply to Pritzker because they said they were so geared toward training academic physicians. I only started to think about it a bunch after I had to answer the question "If you couldn't go into medicine, what would you do?" and I knew right away that I would want to teach. So, why not combine the two??

But to get a good position in academic medicine, you would still most likely have to do some sort of research, whether it's clinically based or lab based.

Originally posted by TroutBum
I'm definitely leaning in that direction. It's funny because I didn't realize it at first, and actually didn't apply to Pritzker because they said they were so geared toward training academic physicians...

I'm at Pritzker. 'nuff said :)

Originally posted by AlternateSome1
Academic Medicine might be fun when I'm old and grey. After the insurance companies and lawsuits make medicine unbearable, why not have a back up plan?

~AS1~

You are still practicing medicine though, just in an academic setting...