Mdssp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stiz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few questions:

1. Is this considered 'salary' ... my understanding is that maybe HPSP is considered differently than salary and they deduct the amount you get from how much you can take out in loans .... it's nice that having more money will decrease how much debt I will go into but it would also be nice to not have to live within such a strict budget.... so will MDSSP lower the amount of loans I'm eligible for or will it simply change what my 'Expected Family Contribution' is ???

Also, if I wanted to get a car loan? Would it be considered 'salary' for that purpose?

2. I understand that there are potential 90-days boots-on-ground deployment possibilities every 18? months post-residency ... that is understandable .... I'm curious about what they're calling 'mobilization' versus deployment ... as I'm not sure I'm thrilled at the idea of being pulled out of a practice to backfill some slot stateside....how often does that occur? how likely is it? etc....

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

A few questions:

1. Is this considered 'salary' ... my understanding is that maybe HPSP is considered differently than salary and they deduct the amount you get from how much you can take out in loans .... it's nice that having more money will decrease how much debt I will go into but it would also be nice to not have to live within such a strict budget.... so will MDSSP lower the amount of loans I'm eligible for or will it simply change what my 'Expected Family Contribution' is ???

Also, if I wanted to get a car loan? Would it be considered 'salary' for that purpose?

2. I understand that there are potential 90-days boots-on-ground deployment possibilities every 18? months post-residency ... that is understandable .... I'm curious about what they're calling 'mobilization' versus deployment ... as I'm not sure I'm thrilled at the idea of being pulled out of a practice to backfill some slot stateside....how often does that occur? how likely is it? etc....

Thanks.

I have no idea what MDSSP means, but your HPSP income is an educational stipend. Basically you'll be eligible for federal loans up to the amount of total cost of attendance minus the stipend. For example if your TCoA is 40K, your stipend is 20K, you're eligible for 20K from Uncle Stafford. You can buy a car, buy a hooker, whatever you want with any loan money. Doesn't change anything, it's not salary/income to the IRS or anyone else. Your stipend is income but is taxed slightly differently (maybe no SSI witheld, not entirely sure there).

Your deployment numbers are off. How far off depends on the service, but nobody that I know does 3 month deployment windows q18 months, at least anymore. AF is 6 months plus training -- sometimes way longer, my assistant PD last year got tasked to an Army billet and has been in Afghanistan for almost 18 months. I've got no answer to your back-fill question, but again it might help other folks answer if you specified which service you were interested in.

Army Reserves

Reserve Medical Corps Programs
Medical And Dental Stipend Program (MDSSP)

It's like HPSP but there's nothing but the stipend/'salary' and drill pay...
i.e. no money for tuition, fees, books, etc.....
Actually with the Reserves/Guard there is a $4500/year tuition waiver....

Thanks.