Me no longer your moderator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spyderdoc

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been a pleasure serving as the SDN moderator for the past 13 years. Time sure flies! I haven't been posting much, so the admin called me on it. In all fairness, they gave me the option to keep moderating. However, I feel it is time to move on and let SDN get some new blood on board. I'll certainly continue lurking and, of course, post occasionally.

Members don't see this ad.

Who else moderates? DocB?

Who will be the new moderator?

I nominate RustedFox!

(>runs and hides>)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, congrats Spyderdoc. Enjoy your "retirement." You are a rock here at SDN. I've stopped lurking (and am only on cause i'm working a night shift and waiting for labs). Stopped moderating years ago. Hope all is well out west.
Q

I'm sure you reflected on it and realize someone else might have more time for being a mod. I made that decision in another forum so understand. Thanks for your work.

You moderate this forum? I've never seen you post. Silently lurking maybe? I guess as a moderator that's more what you're supposed to do anyways: lurk and enforce instead of actually posting a lot.

I hope that you are a placeholder only. You're not even EM, are you? And, if you are, and you're an SDN admin, and senior mod, and you've never appreciably posted in here (if at all), then that is bad form.

Maybe it's just that my one experience with you I didn't care much care for (although you don't even remember, I am confident). For the uninitiated, he edited a post of mine without even giving me the courtesy to do it myself.

You moderate this forum? I've never seen you post. Silently lurking maybe? I guess as a moderator that's more what you're supposed to do anyways: lurk and enforce instead of actually posting a lot.
I don't post often with this account, no. I let yall do the advising you've been doing this longer than I have. I may start using this account more to post in the public forums again.

I've been staff with SDN for 4 years I think.

And I'm an EM resident.

Reactions: 1 user
17K posts, EM resident, and now the EM mod, and nothing ever posted in the EM forum? Yeah, that's good, although the reference to another account is cryptic.

Being a mod is like being chief resident - you don't have to be the best, but you have to be a colleague/peer, which, online, is done by posting, and others knowing you by your posting. Marc Squillante (and that is the user name, so Caesar has no grounds to edit my post on the sly, this time), the original EM mod, I think posted less than 20 times ever - he was an "absentee". Then, DrQuinn, and he was active. Then, sometime, spyderdoc, who posted more than MS, but less than Quinn. DocB came aboard about 7 years ago as mod, and went up the chain, becoming a "super mod", I believe (until reorganization, to whatever they call them now).

From what I've seen, our new mod does "SDN 'staff' professionalism" - specific users post specific questions, and the answers are not specific, but general - which was the prevalent style of mod management in the first decade of the millennium. It's like the audience and the speaker - the users are in the crowd, but the mod is the centerpiece, on the stage. Patrician and plebeian, proletariat and bourgeoisie, &c.

It's actually pretty good that there isn't a core of people overboard on the EM forum (as has happened, in the pasts, on anesthesiology, psych, and surgery boards), so being mod shouldn't be a tough job. I don't expect much at all (based on history) from our new mod, and, as such, I won't be too let down. Then again, I'm the biggest ******* here, but, it is what it is.

I'll see if I get a PM notifying me that I've infracted (again).

Reactions: 1 users