Meaning of "shadowing"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

theBriefing

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I volunteered hundreds of hours in a CATH lab, where I watched countless interventionist procedures by various cardiologists. Does this count as shadowing, despite the fact that I have no specific physicians to list as people I shadowed?
 
Yes, but it won't be enough. You need to see how other doctors approach the practice of Medicine, not merely interventionists.

I volunteered hundreds of hours in a CATH lab, where I watched countless interventionist procedures by various cardiologists. Does this count as shadowing, despite the fact that I have no specific physicians to list as people I shadowed?
 
OP, stop thinking about your experiences as fitting into categories. The point of all of this is to understand medicine as a profession and to pursue your passions. It doesn't matter if something is shadowing or clinical volunteering. What matters is that you're able to draw from those experiences and use them to explain why you're interested in medicine. Nobody is going to care that you volunteered clinically instead of shadowed if you can show that you understand what doctors do on a daily basis and why you are still interested in pursuing the profession.