Meaningless Certifications and Bogus Credentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not unless the founder was a teenager when he formed the company :)

Never too early to start hustling I guess

Members don't see this ad.

Welp speak of the devil. Walked into work this morning with a PESI for "Gaslighting."
Was it an in-vivo example? Hypothetically, PESI sends you 50 random useless pamphlets instead of the usually handful per week, and you call and get "nope, we didn't do anything, you obviously have the problem." That'd be some Inception level gaslighting by PESI.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Around here the masters level folks lead the charge. They go to various pseudoscience workshops and then add all the various acronyms for their new brainspotting/reiki/somatic work/etc. It's like collecting and showcasing badges of their own ignorance.

Reactions: 1 users
Around here the masters level folks lead the charge. They go to various pseudoscience workshops and then add all the various acronyms for their new brainspotting/reiki/somatic work/etc. It's like collecting and showcasing badges of their own ignorance.
I love the alphabet soup for legal cases, as I mostly just point and go "LOOK!" and then pick apart each pseudoscience used in the case. I recently had a "doctor" of behavioral science from ASU, which was talked about on here a couple/few years ago. Of course they did the very misleading "doctor so and so", but practicing at the MS level as a counselor or social worker. Their diagnostic skills were non-existent, so it did not go well for them in my report. Wis knows this already, but don't be that person.

I love the alphabet soup for legal cases, as I mostly just point and go "LOOK!" and then pick apart each pseudoscience used in the case. I recently had a "doctor" of behavioral science from ASU, which was talked about on here a couple/few years ago. Of course they did the very misleading "doctor so and so", but practicing at the MS level as a counselor or social worker. Their diagnostic skills were non-existent, so it did not go well for them in my report. Wis knows this already, but don't be that person.

We love these people. They make our jobs easy and lucrative.

I'd love to hear more about this work if you can share any more info. There's tons of these mid-level types where I'm at.

The sign of their ignorance is that they have not figured out they can just make up their own pseudoscience workshop. Even the instagram life coaches figured that out.

I've heard the term neuropsychotherapy a few times in the past. I have no idea what it means.

Also, pictures of brains make everything better. $20 says that image was not from any sort of study they did. Also, increased brain activity isn't always a good thing. But hey, science!

You should jump on the boat and get certified in neuropsychotherapy. Anything that has "neuro" in its name is very scientific and evidence based and it is certainly at the edge of brain and psychotherapy research and practice.

You should jump on the boat and get certified in neuropsychotherapy. Anything that has "neuro" in its name is very scientific and evidence based and it is certainly at the edge of brain and psychotherapy research and practice.

I'm not sure @AcronymAllergy 's Board Cert in Neuropsych could live with itself if it he also got vertified in "Neurotherapy." It would self-immolate rather than hang on the same wall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neurojess to the rescue! "Neurocoaching" as a midlevel and testing
https://neurojess.com/hello

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230905-011827.png
    Screenshot_20230905-011827.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20230905-012016.png
    Screenshot_20230905-012016.png
    233.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20230905-012027.png
    Screenshot_20230905-012027.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 40
Oh, we're well acquainted with neurojess and her riding the laws of practicing psychology without a license

"

*Disclaimers:

• Assessments are provided for validation and peace of mind. Assessments are not considered psychological testing, as I am not a licensed psychologist. If you meet DSM-5-TR criteria for ASD and/or ADHD after the assessment provided, I will provide you a diagnosis. If you would like a formal diagnosis that is recognized by the state of Wisconsin (for any purpose other than your own edification), please contact a licensed psychologist who specializes in ASD or ADHD testing in your area.
  • Assessments are conducted using DSM-5-TR criteria, including questionnaires and clinician-developed checklists derived from the DSM-5-TR, and clinical experience based on ASD and ADHD presentations specifically in women.
  • I will sign any documents that you request, but cannot guarantee that your work, or state or federal unemployment or disability offices will accept a diagnosis from an LPC. I also cannot guarantee that your primary care physician or medical prescriber will accept your diagnosis/diagnoses for potential medication prescriptions.

Oh, we're well acquainted with neurojess and her riding the laws of practicing psychology without a license

"

*Disclaimers:

• Assessments are provided for validation and peace of mind. Assessments are not considered psychological testing, as I am not a licensed psychologist. If you meet DSM-5-TR criteria for ASD and/or ADHD after the assessment provided, I will provide you a diagnosis. If you would like a formal diagnosis that is recognized by the state of Wisconsin (for any purpose other than your own edification), please contact a licensed psychologist who specializes in ASD or ADHD testing in your area.
  • Assessments are conducted using DSM-5-TR criteria, including questionnaires and clinician-developed checklists derived from the DSM-5-TR, and clinical experience based on ASD and ADHD presentations specifically in women.
  • I will sign any documents that you request, but cannot guarantee that your work, or state or federal unemployment or disability offices will accept a diagnosis from an LPC. I also cannot guarantee that your primary care physician or medical prescriber will accept your diagnosis/diagnoses for potential medication prescriptions.

“For $500 I’ll tell you what you want to hear. Won’t get you anything tho.”

I JUST had this convo w my SIL (re selling diagnoses and goal-less ASD testing), that’s funny.

Reactions: 2 users

I JUST had this convo w my SIL (re selling diagnoses and goal-less ASD testing), that’s funny.

This line is pretty telling "I will sign any document that you request..."

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users

I have many therapists like her get mad at me for not affirming the neurodiversity their clients tell me about and prescription stimulants for their reported ADHD

I have many therapists like her get mad at me for not affirming the neurodiversity their clients tell me about and prescription stimulants for their reported ADHD
Including NeuroJess as an example of a therapist is really not comparable to the "average" mid-level therapist. In looking at her 1998 wannabe GeoCities website, she clearly is not the "typical" therapist, just like some bozo naturopath who recommends moonbeam therapy and unregulated supplements to their patients.

Having complaints about a LCSW diagnosing PTSD just from patient report and no other outside data or even documenting which criteria apply (a recent example from a legal case I did) is more of what I see with some regularity. I also have reviewed some very solid, evidence-based treatments from other mid-levels. Overall, I think they are more likely to get convinced of trash treatments, but most are still functional and positive contributors to a treatment team. The completely solo practitioners seem to have more variability, though this is purely an anecdotal observation by me.

Including NeuroJess as an example of a therapist is really not comparable to the "average" mid-level therapist. In looking at her 1998 wannabe GeoCities website, she clearly is not the "typical" therapist, just like some bozo naturopath who recommends moonbeam therapy and unregulated supplements to their patients.

Having complaints about a LCSW diagnosing PTSD just from patient report and no other outside data or even documenting which criteria apply (a recent example from a legal case I did) is more of what I see with some regularity. I also have reviewed some very solid, evidence-based treatments from other mid-levels. Overall, I think they are more likely to get convinced of trash treatments, but most are still functional and positive contributors to a treatment team. The completely solo practitioners seem to have more variability, though this is purely an anecdotal observation by me.
Yes and I deal with many more of the solo practices as I am also in private practice. I have been chastised by many therapists for not affirming what the patient is saying is their illness

Yes and I deal with many more of the solo practices as I am also in private practice. I have been chastised by many therapists for not affirming what the patient is saying is their illness
In those instances, definitely push back. I do a decent amount of workers comp work where I am brought in for differential diagnosis and to review treatment plans because there are so many bad clinicians out there (of all training areas). In my legal work, I love these clinicians because you get to know the names and 95% of it is low hanging fruit that is easy to eviscerate.

In those instances, definitely push back. I do a decent amount of workers comp work where I am brought in for differential diagnosis and to review treatment plans because there are so many bad clinicians out there (of all training areas). In my legal work, I love these clinicians because you get to know the names and 95% of it is low hanging fruit that is easy to eviscerate.
I just ignore. It's not my job to educate them

I had a social worker dispute my ADHD- report (with literally all indicators saying no ADHD) on an 18 year old whose previous data was a shoddy report from when the client was 6, bc “ADHD isn’t something that just goes away.”
👀
(They failed)

I will say physicians loved getting reports from me bc they knew I didn’t just sell diagnoses and they could be confident in my assessment. In my pp I had a pretty substantial referral network from physicians.

I had a social worker dispute my ADHD- report (with literally all indicators saying no ADHD) on an 18 year old whose previous data was a shoddy report from when the client was 6, bc “ADHD isn’t something that just goes away.”
👀
(They failed)

I will say physicians loved getting reports from me bc they knew I didn’t just sell diagnoses and they could be confident in my assessment. In my pp I had a pretty substantial referral network from physicians.

These are the times when I like to emphasize the "Doctor" title.

These are the times when I like to emphasize the "Doctor" title.
In fairness I’ve read some pretty atrocious psych assessment reports from “doctor”s. It’s more her statement going against some of the most basic data on adhd that delegitimizes her, not the title.

In fairness I’ve read some pretty atrocious psych assessment reports from “doctor”s. It’s more her statement going against some of the most basic data on adhd that delegitimizes her, not the title.

Yeah, we have several psychologists who do neuropsych testing here. They also seem to be plaintiff attorney darlings. But, we love them, because their reports are so easily shreddable and they make us look very good.

I'm not saying that those do not exist. However, I have a hard time taking criticism about an assessment report from someone with no training in assessment. I can criticize any expert in any other field as well. It does not mean I have expertise in that field. If I told my roofer that he was wrong in the way he installed my roof, I would hope he would ignore me and do it correctly. Sure, there are roofers that are legitimately terrible, but even then, I don't really know what I am talking about.

Yes I had a psychologist to continue to push the ADHD diagnosis when the testing clearly showed it was not Adhd

Wow, someone who aspires to be a grad of the Chicago School of Professional Psychology. Impressive.

A University of Phoenix grad though. So, maybe a role model for all those folks that don't want to relocate or quit their job to get a graduate degree.
Aspired for CSPP but embarrassed enough by UPHOENIX to pretend to be from Northwestern :cool: And she married a convicted murderer to boot!
Shame on those clinics for not confirming credentials before placing her with patients.

I'm willing to pay for quality over quantity, but I'm sure diploma millers gobble this junk up like there's no tomorrow.

If you are on top of things and can spare the money, I agree. However, for the many early career and mid level folks who need CEs as well as those that cram them in at the last minute, PESI is there. I just registered for a quality CE...a week ahead with several hoops to jump through in order to get the credit. There is a reason this will continue to proliferate.

If you are on top of things and can spare the money, I agree. However, for the many early career and mid level folks who need CEs as well as those that cram them in at the last minute, PESI is there. I just registered for a quality CE...a week ahead with several hoops to jump through in order to get the credit. There is a reason this will continue to proliferate.

I mean, I can get all of the CEs I need just by attending some sessions at my yearly conference. It's included in conference registration. Add on top of that my presentations and journal reviews, and I usually have twice the amount that I need. There are plenty of high quality CEs out there that are still pretty cheap, people don't need to lower themselves to PESI level garbage.

I mean, I can get all of the CEs I need just by attending some sessions at my yearly conference. It's included in conference registration. Add on top of that my presentations and journal reviews, and I usually have twice the amount that I need. There are plenty of high quality CEs out there that are still pretty cheap, people don't need to lower themselves to PESI level garbage.

How much is the annual conference? My state org is about $300 for membership and another $100-150 for the annual conference (which is usually less than 32 CEs) and will not count for my other license. I forget the cost of my specialty orgs and meetings but same problem with my seondary license. VA trainings get me out of the extra garbage CEs, but if you happen to be a generalist that needs to pay for CEs...

Last edited:
How much is the annual conference? My state org is about $300 for membership and another $100-150 for the annual conference (which is usually less than 32 CEs) and will not count for my other license. I forget the cost of my specialty orgs and meetings but same problem with my seondary license. VA trainings get me out of the extra garbage CEs, but if you happen to be a generalist that needs to pay for CEs...

AACN is usually like $450, all inclusive of registration for the conference and any of the CEs you want, they're also recorded for those who registered, so you can get them after the conference a swell. As in, you don't need to jam in every workshop at teh conference, or have to choose between two held at the same time.

Not a single conference I go to offers psychology CEs....

• Wow
No workshops or seminars? You'll have to find one of those CEU cruises if your employer allows it.
Literally zero. My former university's Grand Rounds can be counted, but are usually at a bad time (and relevance has diminished dramatically).