Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

measuring blood pressure

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Firza, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Firza

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hello everybody, I have a question regarding taking blood pressure from patients. I know the systolic pressure is when u hear the first tone and diastolic pressure is when the tone is last heard. But sometimes before I hear a real tone, I hear a pulsating sound, like a static sound or murmur or something, hard to explain. When i hear that sound, is that the systolic pressure? Sometimes that pulsating sound lasts 20 mmHG.

2. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Is there a school out there where you don't take a BP until third year? :eek:

3. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Get a cheaper stethoscope.

4. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Pox in a box

Pox in a box 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

That's your heartbeat. :laugh: In seriousness, you shouldn't hear anything until you hear the initial systolic sound which is continuous until it ends, where you note that pressure is the diastolic pressure. Practice on your friends. Have someone check their pressure and let you listen for it right around that point (i.e. 120/80) and you'll quickly realize what you're listening for in a BP measurement. Get to know this because you will be tested on it in one way or another very soon.

6. Pegsie

Pegsie Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Are you sure you're not hearing an auscultatory gap? In Bates, it recommends that you first estimate how high to inflate the cuff by feeling when the radial artery pulsation disappears, then adding 30 mm Hg to it. When you get an auscultatory gap, you're supposed to report the BP as, for example, "200/98 with an auscultatory gap from 170 - 150."

7. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    :thumbup:

Don't utter this in allo. Most there think that you have to have a Cardio III to be cool.

Ditto on the auscultatory gap.