• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

cnnisl

15+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2004
Visit site
Status
hey everyone--wanted to know what you think of combined med-neuro programs--what are the advantages/disadvantages and how would it benefit someone?thanks!

kasimagore1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 15, 2002
Visit site
Status
There are two advantages I can come up with: one, if you want to work in an NICU setting where neurologists are actually the ones running the unit (as opposed to serving as neuro consultants to MICU team), a more solid foundation of medicine will certainly be much more useful. 2. if, instead of seeing patient as referred from PCPs, you want to work as a primary care internist with an emphasis on neuro diseases that's more common in a routine outpatient setting (HA, tremor, dementia, etc), then a combined residency may be useful. The counterpoints to the advantages as suggested above are 1) Neuro-critical care fellowship is always available after residency, and you don't need to commit x years of training in medicine, if, for any reason, you decide in patient unit is not your thing. 2) unless you have already established a reputation in treating neuro patients, and has a large patient base, why would patients in your potential service area want to see you instead of a neurologist, especially their CC is more complicated than just a chronic HA? There are only a handful of combined programs in the nation (eg. Tulane), and many are closing due to lack of interest. So, why do you want to pursue a med/neuro residency?

GopherBrain

MARK IT ZERO!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
WFMC
Status
Attending Physician
A combined med/neuro program might be useful if you wanted to practice neuro with a primary care focus. Some of the best neurologists I know are double boarded. However, I really don't think it is that useful for fellowship applications, academic positions, etc.

If you want to practice as a typical neurologist or a subspecialty, I think that doing a double program just adds more time to the process, without much return.

About the Ads