Med-Peds Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so far....

vandy
umass
umich
u chicago
yale
rochester
indiana u
uic
rush
brown
georgetown
cincinnati
case western/rb&c

still waiting to hear from UNC, DUKE, HARVARD, USD, UCLA.

anyone out there just want to be primary care physician? I'm still debating over the decision to choose med-peds over family practice. Can we learn the procedures that you would've learned in fp? can we learn how to run a practice? i guess so... i'm just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 26 programs (I now realize it's way too many!)
Interviews:
SLU
Rush
UIC
UChicago
Pitt
CWRU/Metrohealth
CWRU/RB&C
OSU
Indiana
Einstein
Yale
Brown
Georgetown
Maryland
UAB
USA

Offered interviews but won't go (too many interviews already):
Baylor
Cincinnati
UT Memphis
Christiana

Waiting to hear from:
UPenn
Harvard
UNC
Duke

Good luck to everyone, I'll see alot of you on the interview trail. Seems like we applied to a lot of the same programs!

How does everyone plan on using their med/peds training? Are you interested in pursuing fellowships and in which areas, are you interested more in primary care, or none of the above? Thanks for your insight and good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
just some responses/advice to questions posted by various people:

first off, congrats- it seems like lots of you have gotten a ton of great interviews!

for those of you on aways, I know of no med/peds programs that sent interview invites thru snail mail or via phone- all of the ones I got (and of those of others i met on the interview trail last year) were via ERAS. So don't worry!

also, please do yourself a favor and follow up with the programs you're interested in that you dont hear from soon. give them a week or so after dean's letters, but make sure to follow up. I only got an interview at u of chicago (a program i was really interested in) after my persistence paid off- that being said, you don't want to be too annoying:)

I am someone who is interested in primary care- i love developing relationships with my patients and the opportunity i have to take care of entire families. I also love the freedom of being able to choose to do a wide range of fellowships if I decide that's the direction i want my career to take- an option not available to me if I had chosen family. I never truly considered family, however, for a few reasons- first off, it was really important to me to be a pediatrician- i didn't feel that i'd be confident enough taking care of kids with only the few months of experience a family residency offers. Secondly, I have no desire to deliver babies or do that many surgical procedures, and i didn't want again, spend the months of my residency doing those specialties. I hope this info's helpful- feel free to pm me if you have other questions!

anyone out there just want to be primary care physician? I'm still debating over the decision to choose med-peds over family practice. Can we learn the procedures that you would've learned in fp? can we learn how to run a practice? i guess so... i'm just wondering.

Although I got bashed for suggesting this before I think Med-Peds is a great way to train for primary care if you want to be able to take care of the whole family. I realize that statement will step on a few FP folks' collective toes but in my opinion FP is not the only pathway to practicing family medicine. If you have more specific questions feel free to PM me.

Updating my list (I also applied to WAY too many places):
interview offers:
Cincy
UIC
SLU
Rochester
Einstein
Rush
Loyola
U of Chicago
Pitt
Baylor
MCW
USC
Michigan
Minnesota
Georgetown
Miami
Maryland
Vanderbilt

Waiting on:
Duke
UNC
UCLA
UCSD
UPenn

Adding:
U of Maryland
Brown
U of Minnesota

Has anyone heard from UNC or DUKE?

see everyone on the trail

I've already given up hope. I wish they would just go ahead & reject me so I don't have to worry about scheduling any more interviews. I think 9 is plenty.

Has anyone heard from UNC or DUKE?

see everyone on the trail

Hey all, I'm new to this thread...it's great to see so many fellow Med/Peds folks out there!

I did hear from Duke a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't apply to UNC so I can't help you there. (Stupid tar heels....:) )

You all are making me feel kind of inadequate since I only applied to 7 places (Baylor, Vandy, Duke, UChicago, Penn, Harvard, Michigan). I've heard positively from all of them though, so I suppose that's good news (although not for my wallet with plane tickets and such).

Hope to see you all on the circuit!

:)
St Vincents, Case RB&C, Georgetown, Brown
OSU, Rush, U Chicago, Loyola
Christiana Einstein Maryland LLU UIC UMDNJ USC VCU MCW

:(
UNC, Michigan

:confused:
UCLA, UCSD, Mt Sinai, Yale, Duke, Cincy

Finally!!!! I was finally rejected by UNC!! I just saved at least $300 on airfare. Fan-freakin-tastic. My first rejection, and let me tell ya, I ain't all that upset. Now if Duke would just go ahead and cut bait, I would be done with all this stuff.

Not only was I rejected from UNC yesterday but I was also rejected from Harvard today! LOL Isn't life wonderful? Whatever happened to that stress-free fourth year I always heard about? I think it's a bunch of crap.

Finally!!!! I was finally rejected by UNC!! I just saved at least $300 on airfare. Fan-freakin-tastic. My first rejection, and let me tell ya, I ain't all that upset. Now if Duke would just go ahead and cut bait, I would be done with all this stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, UNC gave me my first taste of rejection this week. Got an offer from Mt Sinai to add to the list.

Anybody heard from UCLA or UCSD yet?

Anyone heard from Vandy since Nov. 1st?

Got an interview from UCLA this week.

Whoooh, so many rejections. =(

M-2 here.

Is med-peds hard to get into? Is that b/c there are so few slots and you have to get approved by both Med and Peds?

What is the deal here? Med peds would probably be my choice when I apply to residency, but I won't bother to apply if I don't have a good chance of getting in at my first couple choices.

Oh no! Don't give up hope so early !! :oops:

Here are my personal thoughts on the competitiveness of Med-Peds:

Med-Peds as an entire field is not overly tough to get in to - there are spots in the match that go unfilled every year. What is more difficult I think, is to get a position at the maybe 5-10 tertiary care academic centers that have M/P. Because these tend to be "big name" institutions, they get a lot of applications for a small number of spots.

SO...I think the question for you is what are your career goals with M/P. If you want to do primary care, then you can probably get great training at any number of programs (the giant academic hospital may actually not be best for you) and you'll have no problem matching. If you're headed into academics or a subspecialty, then it gets a little more competitive. My best advice for that is to take a look at the categorical programs at each place that interests you. You don't have be "approved" by both Medicine and Peds per se, but the combined program director does have to choose applicants who can keep up with their categorical residents. My guess is that at every institution you have to be good enough to compete with the applicants to the stronger of the two individual programs, plus a little bit extra because M/P classes are so small.

Anyway, that was long-winded. But seriously, Med/Peds is awesome :D, so you should definitely go for it if you're interested. Also, you're only an M2 - you have tons of time to kick some butt on the wards and make yourself competitive for any residency!!

Plus...if you ever get discouraged you can just say to yourself, It's not as bad as ortho.:laugh:

Oh no! Don't give up hope so early !! :oops:

Here are my personal thoughts on the competitiveness of Med-Peds:

Med-Peds as an entire field is not overly tough to get in to - there are spots in the match that go unfilled every year. What is more difficult I think, is to get a position at the maybe 5-10 tertiary care academic centers that have M/P. Because these tend to be "big name" institutions, they get a lot of applications for a small number of spots.

SO...I think the question for you is what are your career goals with M/P. If you want to do primary care, then you can probably get great training at any number of programs (the giant academic hospital may actually not be best for you) and you'll have no problem matching. If you're headed into academics or a subspecialty, then it gets a little more competitive. My best advice for that is to take a look at the categorical programs at each place that interests you. You don't have be "approved" by both Medicine and Peds per se, but the combined program director does have to choose applicants who can keep up with their categorical residents. My guess is that at every institution you have to be good enough to compete with the applicants to the stronger of the two individual programs, plus a little bit extra because M/P classes are so small.

Anyway, that was long-winded. But seriously, Med/Peds is awesome :D, so you should definitely go for it if you're interested. Also, you're only an M2 - you have tons of time to kick some butt on the wards and make yourself competitive for any residency!!

Plus...if you ever get discouraged you can just say to yourself, It's not as bad as ortho.:laugh:

Cool, that is encouraging. I have my eye on the program in Greenville, SC, which is not a "big name" program so that might help some. Bad news is they only have 4 slots.

Thanks for the info.:D

Here's my list:

Greenville, SC
USC-Columbia
MUSC
UNC
Duke
UAB
Vanderbilt
Louisville
UK-Lexington
Cincinatti
ECU

On another note, for those of you who have already started interviewing, will you tell us about your interviews and what you thought of the programs?
Thanks!

I look forward to seeing everyone on the interview trail!

Here's my list:

Greenville, SC
USC-Columbia
MUSC
UNC
Duke
UAB
Vanderbilt
Louisville
UK-Lexington
Cincinatti
ECU

On another note, for those of you who have already started interviewing, will you tell us about your interviews and what you thought of the programs?
Thanks!

I look forward to seeing everyone on the interview trail!

i'm new to the thread. it sounds like everyone is doing very well with the interview offers. yay!

question.... does harvard offer/reject via ERAS? i'm still waiting to hear from them. just wondering, for those that have heard from them, how do they do it?

thanks everyone! :)

question.... does harvard offer/reject via ERAS? i'm still waiting to hear from them. just wondering, for those that have heard from them, how do they do it?

thanks everyone! :)

For invites they do go through ERAS (although obviously you get an email too).

Good Luck! :)

Got an invite from UCLA today!

Although I got bashed for suggesting this before I think Med-Peds is a great way to train for primary care if you want to be able to take care of the whole family. I realize that statement will step on a few FP folks' collective toes but in my opinion FP is not the only pathway to practicing family medicine.

You never got "bashed" (certainly not by SDN standards, anyway), but it's a fine point that there's a difference between practicing primary care and being a family physician. The former can be done after training in either med-peds or family medicine, but the latter should only be claimed if one is board-certified in family medicine. That doesn't stop many doctors from using the term loosely, however.

Personally, if I had gone through all the trouble to get board certified in internal medicine and pediatrics, I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a family physician. ;)

I've heard from all of my schools except for Vandy. Has anyone gotten anything from Vandy since Nov. 1st?

Thanks!! :)

You never got "bashed" (certainly not by SDN standards, anyway), but it's a fine point that there's a difference between practicing primary care and being a family physician. The former can be done after training in either med-peds or family medicine, but the latter should only be claimed if one is board-certified in family medicine. That doesn't stop many doctors from using the term loosely, however.

Personally, if I had gone through all the trouble to get board certified in internal medicine and pediatrics, I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a family physician. ;)

I've never claimed to be a Family Physician as that would be misrepresenting my training and I have a real problem with physicians who do that overtly or covertly. I have separate IM privileges and Peds privileges at the hospital I admit at. (Although I'm not sure we recognize FM privileges anyway the FM guys (who still think they are FPs) are listed on the IM list with an asterisk next to their name designating them as FP.) I tell patients that I'm a pediatrician or an internist or that I trained in Med-Peds depending on how the question is worded. What I do is feel comfortable taking care of the entire family which at it's root is synonymous with family medicine in most people's minds. But then I practice in a community where one of my IM trained colleagues has been many patient's "family doctor" for years. (No he doesn't do pediatrics he's been taking care of 60 year old dad and the 30-40 year old "kids" for the past twenty years. Now dad is 80 and the kids are 50-60 and he's their cherished "family doctor". There are worse things, he deals even after "going to all the trouble of getting board certified in IM")

Yeah, UNC gave me my first taste of rejection this week. Got an offer from Mt Sinai to add to the list.

Anybody heard from UCLA or UCSD yet?

All I know is that last year I got my rejection notice from Harvard around January...I was like...thanks guys for telling me, as if I already hadn't figured it out when there's only 2 weeks left in the interview season. Glad I'm not there anyway, I'm happy where I've matched.

The first switch is the worst, it's pretty much starting your whole residency over. But it can only get better.

has anyone done any interviews yet? if so, any feedback? thanks!

The first switch is the worst, it's pretty much starting your whole residency over. But it can only get better.

Colleagues who started on Peds seemed to feel the transition was more difficult than those of us who started with Medicine. It does get better though I promise. (And remember still drag out your friendly Miller (just not in 00 size) blade for those really floppy anterior airways you will see in a few of your elderly patients.)

I would like to add my application results to the list.
Invites:
  • Utah
  • Ohio State
  • Rochester, NY
  • MUSC
  • Cincinatti
  • Indiana
  • Minnesota

Rejects:
UNC

Waiting:
Duke

There are worse things, he deals even after "going to all the trouble of getting board certified in IM")

...and peds. That was the whole quote. And it is significantly more time-consuming to maintain board certification in two specialties, which was my only point about that. I'm not dissing you guys. I considered a dual residency in family medicine and internal medicine myself, and might've done it if I thought there was a snowball's chance in hell that I'd want to specialize someday. ;)

Sorry for the slightly off-topic posts. I now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming.

Hi,
Did anyone get an interview from Wayne State University's med peds program? How is that proram? Any info about how to ace their interview. I have only one med peds interview and i do not want to loose my chance. I would really appreciate any help i can get.

Hey guys. Does anyone has any idea if the current situation between Wayne State and DMC would affect the combined program aswell?

I am currently a 3rd year med student there and my best advice for you is to go to your interview and then hang tight for a bit. Things have not yet been worked out one way or another so it's hard to say whether you should rank them or not. Internal medicine will be more affected by any break from the current status as Children's is a profitable entity and will do anything from losing its residents (i.e. breaking a part from the DMC if need be). Ask tough questions at your interview but don't expect too many answers as the leaders of both sides are now in the state's capital deliberating under the eye of the Governor. Also, read www.freep.com to get the latest--word seems to break there before it is sent out to the campus.

Best of luck, if everything stays in place, it is a great program all-around.