Med Questions Stuck In My Head

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AveragePerson.Psych

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a few questions. I'm not applying until next cycle (because my stats are poor and I need more experience to understand what the medical field will bring my way and what I can give to it).

Is volunteering at a nursing home considered clinical volunteering? At the nursing home that I volunteer at, I talk with residents, play bingo with them, and help with decorating events at the home. I've been volunteering for nearly a year.

Secondly, I am a travel medical assistant for anesthesiologist, but the job doesn't come into contact with any patients; it's part time work a few days a month. Should I let this job go once/if I get something else (I have applied to several medical assistant positions and have some upcoming interviews) or keep it? I've seen post on SDN saying this doesn't count as clinical experience so that is why I am debating. It is a contract job so would it look terrible to quit the job and not fulfill the contract?

Thirdly, would it look bad for my application if most of my medical/volunteer experiences are either with children or the elderly? I am looking into volunteering at a hospice center for veterans and a cancer center that are close to my home town. I'm trying to gain more experiences with different age group so that it would possibly make my future application seem stronger (so I hope).

Thank you for your help. I hope that you enjoy your day/night.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I have a few questions. I'm not applying until next cycle (because my stats are poor and I need more experience to understand what the medical field will bring my way and what I can give to it).

Is volunteering at a nursing home considered clinical volunteering? At the nursing home that I volunteer at, I talk with residents, play bingo with them, and help with decorating events at the home. I've been volunteering for nearly a year.
I consider it so, but other Adcom members here on SDN disagree
Secondly, I am a travel medical assistant for anesthesiologist, but the job doesn't come into contact with any patients; it's part time work a few days a month. Should I let this job go once/if I get something else (I have applied to several medical assistant positions and have some upcoming interviews) or keep it? I've seen post on SDN saying this doesn't count as clinical experience so that is why I am debating.
This is indeed NOT clinical exposure.
It is a contract job so would it look terrible to quit the job and not fulfill the contract?
Keep the job ONLY if you need the money
Thirdly, would it look bad for my application if most of my medical/volunteer experiences are either with children or the elderly?
No. Why should that look bad???
I am looking into volunteering at a hospice center for veterans and a cancer center that are close to my home town. I'm trying to gain more experiences with different age group so that it would possibly make my future application seem stronger (so I hope).
I have a high regard for people who work in hospice care. Not many are willing to get up close to our mortality.

Reactions: 1 users
Your volunteer position at the nursing home doesn’t sound exactly clinical, but I personally look favorably on this kind of volunteering. Taking care of the elderly shows empathy, compassion, and patience.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above.
-Nursing home volunteering is controversial about whether it's clinical or not BUT it is well respected and a valuable experience. I would list it as non clinical and some app reviewers might put it into the clinical category based on their own opinions. I would make sure you have adequate other medical experiences.
-For the anesthesia job, no patient contact = non-clinical. Keep it if you want to, don't if you don't. If you're worried about what it looks like to quit, just don't put it on your application.
- No issue if most medical/volunteer experiences are with kids and the elderly - they tend to have the most needs, and the most services available to them where students can volunteer! Hospice and cancer volunteering are great options. You can also check out any local free clinics you may have if you want to see the non-elderly adult population, as well as homeless shelters, domestic violence shelters, refugee resettlement agencies, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Let me explain the thinking on nursing homes. The people living there are not "patients" but "residents" who are living in a congregate setting because they have some disabilities. You are hanging out and helping them out in their home. Just because they have partial paralysis or arthritis or dementia, etc does not make them a patient 24/7. So, the activities you undertake in a nursing home is generally non-clinical but because it is with a vulnerable population that is not able to do these things for themselves (can't go out to a bingo hall or stand on a ladder and hang decorations) you help out and that's a good thing that gets you comfortable hanging out with people who are different from yourself.

If you were working as a CNA providing nursing services to nursing home residents (bathing them, caring for them when incontinent, etc) then I would see that as clinical but recreation wouldn't fall in that clinical category.

Reactions: 4 users