Med School Abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRock310

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone ever considered this?

im starting to narrow down my choices and want to apply to a few schools in england.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you American? If so, it's nearly impossible. Then you have to do 2 years after you finish med school there, and I'm fairly sure there's a shortage of spots for grads as it is. I think England's making rules about how many foreigners can train there, but since I'm in med school here now, I really haven't kept up on that information like before.

I tried it 2 years in a row. I interviewed at Imperial College both years. I was told at the interviews that less than 2% of Americans who apply get accepted. I really wanted to just live in England and not practice in the US. If you have any intention of coming back to the States, it'll be harder to get a residency here because you'll then be an IMG.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have any intention of coming back to the States, it'll be harder to get a residency here because you'll then be an IMG.

This is the bottom line. If you plan to practice in the US, you have the best chance of getting the residency of your choice coming from a US allo school. Period.

If you really want an international experience at this juncture, then simply don't apply to med school yet. Do something cool abroad for a year or two. And then apply a year or two later. It will only make your application look more interesting.

What about residency? Does anyone know how feasible it is to get a residency in Canada?

If you really want an international experience at this juncture, then simply don't apply to med school yet. Do something cool abroad for a year or two. And then apply a year or two later. It will only make your application look more interesting.

Or go to a school that lets you do international away rotations. I'm planning on going back to London for about 6weeks for a rotation/vacation.

that's a really good idea...

why? honestly because i have always wanted to go abroad, something i decided on since middle school, i swear.

i have traveled a lot w/ my parents but wanted the experience of living somewhere outside the US. however, because it's a little hard to do as a pre-med student (and my major, biotechnology...they dont have those classes offered at most study abroad programs), i thought it might be interesting to go abroad for med school.

i see how that might not be a great idea, though. going to a school that allows international rotations is a good idea. im not set on it at all, i was honestly just curious as to what others have experienced w/ it.

If you want to practice medicine in the US, do NOT go abroad if you have the choice. Most American citizens who go abroad for med school do so only because they weren't able to get into a med school in the US. As a graduate of a foreign medical school, you'll be at a huge disadvantage when you return to the US and apply for residencies.

why? honestly because i have always wanted to go abroad, something i decided on since middle school, i swear.

i have traveled a lot w/ my parents but wanted the experience of living somewhere outside the US. however, because it's a little hard to do as a pre-med student (and my major, biotechnology...they dont have those classes offered at most study abroad programs), i thought it might be interesting to go abroad for med school.

i see how that might not be a great idea, though. going to a school that allows international rotations is a good idea. im not set on it at all, i was honestly just curious as to what others have experienced w/ it.

Are you applying for med schools this year?

If you still have time to study abroad, I'd check out the University of Westminster in London. That's where I was for a year, and I took lots of bio classes with biotech majors.

How about studying Biotechnology and Biomedicine in Denmark?

I studied abroad and then lived abroad for a while after graduating, until I ran out extensions on my visa. I've thought about going to Europe for medical school (and eventually practice there?) but in the end, I've decided that getting my degree in the US would be easier, and more importantly less risky, even though if I do go back abroad I might have to spend some more time on testing or training.

Just go to school here in the U.S. Get residency here also in the U.S. Where you practice is up to you. It can be anywhere in the world. U.S. (trained) medical graduates have the license to practice almost anywhere in the world. Now, that is a privilege.