Med School Chances at HBCUs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

reluctantoptimism

Shrews and Trucks
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My GPAs should be approximately 3.45c and 3.1-3.2s when I apply and by all indications my MCAT should be approximately 510 when I apply next year. I have many ECs related to my community and medicine and I attended an HBCU for undergard. At first, I was not interested in HBCUs but the more I contemplate, I feel that they would provide the environment I need to succeed. What do you guys think my chances are at Howard, Meharry or Morehouse? Is anyone applying to/attended any of these schools and have some direct perspective?

Thanks!
 
My GPAs should be approximately 3.45c and 3.1-3.2s when I apply and by all indications my MCAT should be approximately 510 when I apply next year. I have many ECs related to my community and medicine and I attended an HBCU for undergard. At first, I was not interested in HBCUs but the more I contemplate, I feel that they would provide the environment I need to succeed. What do you guys think my chances are at Howard, Meharry or Morehouse? Is anyone applying to/attended any of these schools and have some direct perspective?

Thanks!

I think you would have a very strong chance if your MCAT was a 510 and you had EC's related working for underserved communities. The HBCU's are very mission driven.
 
I made a tentative school list based upon me having a 3.4c, 3.2s- should I add/edit anything?

FAU
FIU
USF
UCF
UF
Netter
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
NYMC
Wake Forest
EVMS
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
 
I think that's a good list, but I would add some reaches if you do get the aforementioned stats. To be honest I would wait until you have an actual MCAT score to craft a list. I think it's hard to predict what you will ultimately get on that test.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile