Med School Extra-curriculars for FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bynumite17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of extracurriculars is a DO student interested in FM for residency expected to have? Research? Volunteering? Club associations? Or is it all just fluff and none of it matters except boards, grades, letters?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

pass your boards, do an AI, have some letters....youll be fine

Reactions: 3 users
Do what you want to do. If you want to volunteer, join clubs, go to conferences, do research, do it, provided it won't interfere with you doing well in school/on boards. If you don't want to do any of that don't.

There are a lot of FM programs out there. Some are heavy on community service or research, but if you don't like those things, you probably won't be happy at those programs. You're in med school now. Pad your app with things you actually care about/are interested in. Or don't. It shouldn't change the outcome much.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do what you want to do. If you want to volunteer, join clubs, go to conferences, do research, do it, provided it won't interfere with you doing well in school/on boards. If you don't want to do any of that don't.

Yessssss

Reactions: 1 user
On the one hand, it's "just" family med so don't sweat it.

On the other hand, the average # of apps for FM applicants is 63, per our PD last week or so. It used to be, like, 13, and you could rank 5 and do fine. Keep in mind that the only (ONLY) thing the Nobel-winning match algorithm claims to be is fair (FAIR), in allocating applicants who interview at and rank a list of programs, against programs who interview and rank a list of applicants. If 30% of FM applicants don't match, and you're in that 30%, regardless of your app assets, that's not unfair. It's math. Math is existentially and emotionally neutral. Borderline applicants routinely apply to 100+ programs because math. FM PDs are pulling their hair out over whether their programs will fill if they "only" interview their usual ~150 because the app pool is so massive and diluted with maybes who apply all over the country. My program did more interviews this year out of pure FUD (fear, uncertainty & doubt). No, you can't find out how many apps a particular program got, you can't find out the stats or other app tidbits of successful applicants, no you can't get any data to understand the difference between ranking high enough and just getting ranked.

What all that means, and why you should care, is that it's substantially more likely that a boring, generic app will get lost in the pile. If you have no red flags, yeah, you'll probably match, SOMEWHERE, if you apply to a lot of programs and go on a lot of interviews. But if there's nothing "sticky" about your app, such as REALLY INTERESTING MEDICAL/COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES such as free clinics, community orgs, teaching, pubs, nontrivial non-tourist overseas service, relevant 2nd/3rd languages, you're not in a good position. And if you are shy, awkward, inexperienced, not personable, maybe you remind people more of a current unmotivated resident than you remind them of a current great resident, etc, then you're getting ranked below somebody who is equally qualified but made a better impression.

Pretty much just like med school admissions, except that ranking is less certain than an acceptance or a waitlist position.

So. You're in your 20's, you're young and fabulous and want to do things other than take a position of responsibility during med school to increase your odds of getting one of your top ranks? Fine! Go backpacking in Europe and take easy electives. Really, there's no going back to relive your 20's, and an MD is forever (unless you are found guilty of sexual assault or similar and your degree is revoked, or what have you, google "case western medical degree revoked"). Match wherever, whenever, doing whatever. Down the road when you have a clearer idea of your mission in life, invest in that mission then instead of investing in a maybe now.

If you don't actually want to do community extra-curriculars in med school then I'm skeptical that you are actually interested in FM, but that's sort of a separate problem.

tl;dr: FM residency is a short 3 years and maybe it doesn't matter where you match but if you're going to resent not getting one of your top choices or top locations, then buy some insurance by legitimizing your application with relevant activities.

Reactions: 1 user
What kind of extracurriculars is a DO student interested in FM for residency expected to have? Research? Volunteering? Club associations? Or is it all just fluff and none of it matters except boards, grades, letters?

Thanks!

I'm not a DO candidate but I can shed some light on what I've experienced during the interview trail. Ive been told that your board scores/clinical grades and LORs get you your interviews, and that the rest of your application/personality land you your spot. That said, I agree with everyone above. The most important thing I believe is that you should focus on becoming the best physician you can be. That means passing AND DOING WELL on your boards and learning as much as you can during your rotations. I know people generally believe FM is not competitive (I admittedly agree) but that does not mean you should not try to aim for great scores on your boards. Doing above the national average on your USMLEs will serve you well in the long run. Second to that, do something that you enjoy outside of Med school. I did some pretty cool and very unique leadership stuff in Med school that was a minimum 5 minute conversation at every place I interviewed at. It was something I was passionate about and programs took notice. Also, if your passion aligns with someone else's passion, say a faculty member, and you work together on it, you're probably in line for a great LOR. So go find something that you care about and do it. Don't do anything that you don't want to do just for the sake of adding it to your resumé. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi

Doing things that interest you should make you a better applicant. My overall sense of the people that we ranked is that they were very solid academically, with some things going on that they pushed towards/excelled at (women's health, refugees, under served, population health, LGBT issues, etc). If I was doing this again, I would want that on my resume, and to be honest with you I didn't have it, other than my fairly nontraditional back ground. I had a hard enough time with med school and I am glad I am not matching NOW. I think it is tougher than it was three years ago. There has to be some things that you are going to want to be good at, within the broad scope of Family Medicine. No one likes all things equally. Do things that will make you better at the stuff you enjoy, and be able to talk about why you enjoy those things on your app/interviews.

I was involved as a student board member with my state chapter of AAFP. prob looked good plus it was good networking and good to get perspective what the politics side looks like.
Also international medical trips which were rewarding and great talking points in interviews.

I've been told that your board scores/clinical grades and LORs get you your interviews, and that the rest of your application/personality land you your spot.

I whole hearted agree with this statement. As a 1st year resident I was involved with applicant interviews and ranking and have participated in 4 to date (3 during residency and 1 during fellowship). Your scores, clinical grades will be used to filter you so the better you do the less likely you are to be filtered out of consideration. This is all done by the PD or the app system...I don't know since I have never participated in this portion of the process.

Your LORs, extracurriculars, etc are important during and after your interviews and to be honest are subjective to the interviewer/ranker. If you have a bland application, meaning you went to med school X, had clinical grades X and scored X on COMLEX/USMLE and that is it, well then you don't have a lot of talking points for the interview itself and you don't have a lot of things to refresh the memories of the people who interviewed you come rank day. On the other hand, say you went to med school X, had clinical grades X and scored X on COMLEX/USMLE and did foreign medical missions, worked with the homeless, went to XYZ conference or better yet presented something at XYZ conference and really enjoy fire dancing....then interviewers will have much more to talk about, you come across as much more interested when talking about these things and overall more likable. Also when it comes time to rank...which can be a 2-3 months after your interview, people will remember you. "What does everyone think about applicant X...Oh that's the guy that is interested in XYZ and really loved fire dancing....I liked him."

Hope this helps....at the end of the day though do what you want to do.

Reactions: 1 users