Med School graduation gift ideas!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lgooden

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - I'm visiting from the pharmacy forum. My sister graduates from med school in 2 weeks and I am not sure what to get her for a graduation gift. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a good gift to get? My budget is about $5-$100. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

An mp3 player. Finding one for a hundred bucks may be difficult, but not impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say no to an mp3 player. you can't get anything good for $100 and you'd end up settling for a low-capacity player.

lgooden said:
Hello - I'm visiting from the pharmacy forum. My sister graduates from med school in 2 weeks and I am not sure what to get her for a graduation gift. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a good gift to get? My budget is about $5-$100. Thanks! :)

I'm in the boat that if you can't give something nice, don't give anything at all. 100 gift certificate is a good gift, but stay away from gag gifts...gag gifts are not appropriate for a big day.

Get an ingraved Pen or Card Holder. If you know where they are going, make a few cards to include in there. For something more personal. If you can get pictures from when she was young till now. Basically from begining till becoming a doctor, you can make a book or a picture Frame. "the making of doctor" something like that.
I would value that more then MP3 or palm pilot etc.. and prob put it up in my office.

I say that you get her something personalized. Something that says Dr. So and so. There is this place online where you can personalize car floor mats. You can get her personalized pens, papers, etc. Just something that denotes that she is finally a doctor. For $100, thats about the best I can do. Some comfortable shoes might be good too, cause she'll probably be on her feet alot as a resident.

lgooden said:

In another thread (which I am too lazy to search for) there was a great suggestion of putting together a "call bag" -- a small duffle with room for a change of clothes, and loading it up with goodies like Wet Ones to freshen up with, little snacks, other little stuff to get through the long nights on call.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. My boyfriend and mom said they could help me out with funding. My sister said that she really wanted an mp3 player for her birthday which was in march so thanks for the ipod suggestion as it reminded me of this. In combining several ideas, I am thinking of getting her a 4GB ipod mini with either Dr. her name and the cadeuses medical symbol engraved on it because I found out that you can get ipods engraved for free. What do you guys think?

Embroidered *long* white coat. Unless she's already getting one as part of her residency.

lgooden said:
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. My boyfriend and mom said they could help me out with funding. My sister said that she really wanted an mp3 player for her birthday which was in march so thanks for the ipod suggestion as it reminded me of this. In combining several ideas, I am thinking of getting her a 4GB ipod mini with either Dr. her name or her name MEd and the cadeuses medical symbol engraved on it because I found out that you can get ipods engraved for free. What do you guys think? Would it look better to have the Dr. or the MEd?

My vote is definitely Dr. name

Members don't see this ad :)
...Dang, I keep getting this great idea, and it floats away before I can type it.

Oh!

Right.

You could pay her fees with the DMV and get her MD plates. If she's sufficiently vain (not to say that she'd have to be VAIN to get MD plates for her car, but some people don't want to advertise like that.)

Bwaha. There.

lgooden said:
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. My boyfriend and mom said they could help me out with funding. My sister said that she really wanted an mp3 player for her birthday which was in march so thanks for the ipod suggestion as it reminded me of this. In combining several ideas, I am thinking of getting her a 4GB ipod mini with either Dr. her name or her name MEd and the cadeuses medical symbol engraved on it because I found out that you can get ipods engraved for free. What do you guys think? Would it look better to have the Dr. or the MEd?

If she'd graduating from medical school, her degree is M.D., not M.Ed. (Masters of Education).

I would prefer the ipod over the engraved stuff. I got a pen and pen holder, and while nice, the pen may get lost, and the pen holder won't have a place for a few years -- residents don't have desks. And I personally wouldn't want the M.D. license plate, but that's my own preference.

lgooden said:

Get her a digital camera, if she doesn't already have one. That way she can take pictures and send it to you when she's away :)

Well it turns out that I can't get the caduceus symbol engraved on it. Apple only does symbols for buisness customers and you have to order at least 10 with a 299 setup fee. Also ,if I did get it engraved after the fact by someone else, that would take it out of warranty. :mad: So, I guess it will just be her name M.D. or MD

I'm a little bummed; I think it would have turned out really cool... :(

Best gift going is framing her diploma. Probably gonna run more than $100 though.

Survivor DO

Well I did suggest a good watch, until Armybound pointed out how old this thread is. At this point, this girl's an attending.

Last edited:
Regardless of how old this thread is- Johnny Walker Blue Label is the way to go.

Mp3 player, lol!

Get something engraved with Dr. her name. The most important achievement here is that the person has gone from Mr Something Something to Dr. Something Something, MD. Reflect that.