Med school in Germany- help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xbrokndreamsx27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working in my undergrad degree in America, and plan to finish it up, but since I am interested in Germany, and would like to live there at least for a few years, I am considering going to medical school and/or doing my residency in Germany.

The only problem with this that I figure I would like to come back to America to live someday- or at least have to option to.

Are there any options, in this case university programs, preferably in the Berlin area, that would be either accredited in America or that I would be able to transfer over to America, in order to take my boards- should I ever decide to.

Thanks for your help and insight :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, in principal, if you study at a medical school listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED) of FAIMER you are eligible to obtain ECFMG certification by taking the USMLE exams. This, in turn, makes you eligible to apply for residency in the US. I believe all German medical schools are listed in IMED, so they all offer the option of transferring back to the US when you are done (something I am planning on doing myself). I'm not sure how familiar you are with the medical education system in Germany, medical school starts straight out of high school and lasts 6 years. You can contact the admissions offices of the schools you are interested in to see how many credits you can transfer as you already have a Bachelor's.
If you are planning on being in or close to Berlin, I would look at the Charite Universitätsmedizin Berlin (www.charite.de), one of the largest medical schools in Germany. Another thing to consider is that all medical schools in Germany teach exclusively in German, as I don't know whether you speak German I don't know if that would be a hurdle for you.
For more info and a list of German med schools, check out this wikipedia site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_school#Germany

good luck!