med school in the caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

atruong1011

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone, I'm considering St. George's and Ross University as an option for med school, but I was wondering if there's anything that's different in terms of the boards and such when compared to US schools. I'm actually a bit confused on all this, so any light you can shed would be greatly appreciated!!!
 
Define, "different". Both US and Carib students take the USMLE at around the same time in their academic careers. As far as I know, there isn't any difference, aside from having to score a bit higher than US grads for the same residencies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you're talking about st. george's or ross, both schools will give you the opportunity to become a very good physician. Whether it's a solid foreign or u.s. school, what you get out really depends on how hard and how dedicated you are to learning the material. USMLE is a an exam that is universal, there is no difference if you go to a caribbean school or u.s. school. Some foreign schools will prepare you better for the exam, but the exam itself is the same for everyone.

If you attend a foreign medical school you will need to score higher on the USMLE to be competitive, unless you really impress someone during clinical years and get an amazing reference. There are some PD's that are will not accept any foreign grads no matter what their scores are, research experience, amazing lor's, etc. Before you commit to one of these schools, make sure you do a lot of research and think about if its the right thing for you...if you're a borderline applicant, meaning that if you took some extra classes and improved your gpa or low mcat score, you might want to try to get into a u.s. school before you attend a foreign school.
 
drmikey said:
If you're talking about st. george's or ross, both schools will give you the opportunity to become a very good physician. Whether it's a solid foreign or u.s. school, what you get out really depends on how hard and how dedicated you are to learning the material. USMLE is a an exam that is universal, there is no difference if you go to a caribbean school or u.s. school. Some foreign schools will prepare you better for the exam, but the exam itself is the same for everyone.

If you attend a foreign medical school you will need to score higher on the USMLE to be competitive, unless you really impress someone during clinical years and get an amazing reference. There are some PD's that are will not accept any foreign grads no matter what their scores are, research experience, amazing lor's, etc. Before you commit to one of these schools, make sure you do a lot of research and think about if its the right thing for you...if you're a borderline applicant, meaning that if you took some extra classes and improved your gpa or low mcat score, you might want to try to get into a u.s. school before you attend a foreign school.

Excellent post! 👍

The only thing I would add is that all International Medical Graduates (IMGs) and students must apply to take the USMLE through the ECFMG. As such, the cost of the tests are slightly higher (e.g., the Step 2-CS is $1200 for IMGs vs. $975 for U.S. students). Likewise, all your score reporting is independent through the ECFMG, and you will be responsible for notifying your school of your score (whereas U.S. students a copy of your score goes directly to the school). Lastly, you will apply as an "independent" applicant through ERAS.

-Skip
 
Hi atruong,

here's the skinny on carib med schools. I just recently graduated (or will be in June) from St. G's. It's a decent school. Decent faculty. You'll get out of it what you put into it. And, they prepare you pretty well for the USMLE's - I did very well on both. HOWEVER - if you're considering trying for a competitive residency such as radiology, urology, or ortho (which am pursuing), then i would suggest working your tail off at getting into a US school. On the other hand, a large number of SGU grads get outstanding residencies in medicine, emergency, peds, and anesthesia. I have friends who have matched at UPenn, Lennox Hill, and other outstanding places. I decided top pull out of the application process myself, and am now doing research at a major Ortho institution in NYC. I hope it pays off, but the stigma of being a IMG will hurt me. I hope this helps - any more questions, feel free to ask.

SGUa
 
What are the admissions requirements like at these schools? How hard is it to get in, as compared to US MD programs? I realize that it's "easier" but how so? I go to a very competitive undergraduate school (top 25) in the States, but my GPA is not as high as I'd like it to be due to some personal issues (I have bipolar disorder). At many medical schools in the States, I'm very concerned that I will not get in b/c of this disability and the fact that I had to take some time of from school. My GPA is not terrible (during my worst semester, I had a B-, B+, A-, B). It's just not incredibly solid. I haven't taken the MCATs yet. I'm really looking for a school that will not judge me based on my disability (there's so much stigma about mental illnesses). I don't give a crap about prestige. I want to be a psychiatrist and will go to any medical school that will enable me to do so. I have good extracurriculars. What do you think my chances are? Would foreign medical schools be more inclined to look beyond the stigma?
 
ElizabethMD said:
Would foreign medical schools be more inclined to look beyond the stigma?

I don't think they'd necessarily be any more or less inclined. If you disorder is under control and you can function, then there's no reason why that alone would keep you out of a U.S. school. Your grades and MCAT score may make it more difficult, though.

Either way, you should just try and apply.

Good luck!

-Skip