Med School Info for Significant Other

osumc2014

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering if you guys knew any good articles, books or videos on how seriously dating a medical student/resident would be like? My s.o. is freaking out a bit about not having enough time to see me in the future etc.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd imagine that it'll be very different from person to person, and relationship to relationship. It might be useful for your significant other to read about what medical students have to go through (I'm sure that a number of people have written what it's like, there are probably some texts on it, and SDN had an article about it recently).

You should also be reassuring them that you'll still love them and/or try to make time for them. If they're stressing about it, why don't the two of you try to create some sort of plan - say, have dinner together at least once a week, or something along those lines?

I'd imagine that it'll be very different from person to person, and relationship to relationship. It might be useful for your significant other to read about what medical students have to go through (I'm sure that a number of people have written what it's like, there are probably some texts on it, and SDN had an article about it recently).

You should also be reassuring them that you'll still love them and/or try to make time for them. If they're stressing about it, why don't the two of you try to create some sort of plan - say, have dinner together at least once a week, or something along those lines?

Hmm thats very good point, we are starting that this year by making time at least to have lunch once during the weekdays. I guess what she is really concerned is that she's only been exposed to how this one family friend who is a physician's life is, and that is that they don't see their family very much. And that is pretty much her view growing up. It's hard to convince her mind otherwise, so it would be helpful to have her read or watch something from a credible source. But thanks!

As the spouse of a current intern, I'm somewhat worried about that myself. Med school wasn't bad, but this year is bad. I'm hoping for more family time next year and thereafter. There's no doubt about it: it's a bummer to go to social events by yourself ("my husband's on call"), to spend nights alone or with a sleep-deprived shadow-of-a-person, and not to have the together time that you are used to having.

Note: I'm not saying that I have it worse than my spouse, so please, residents, don't jump all over me. I'm just saying it would be nicer to have some more time with him.

So yes, it's a legitimate concern.

As the spouse of a current intern, I'm somewhat worried about that myself. Med school wasn't bad, but this year is bad. I'm hoping for more family time next year and thereafter. There's no doubt about it: it's a bummer to go to social events by yourself ("my husband's on call"), to spend nights alone or with a sleep-deprived shadow-of-a-person, and not to have the together time that you are used to having.

Note: I'm not saying that I have it worse than my spouse, so please, residents, don't jump all over me. I'm just saying it would be nicer to have some more time with him.

So yes, it's a legitimate concern.

Since it seems you are at least a seasoned pro at the medical school aspect, what are some things that you guys promise or do consistently to make sure you get enough couple time? What really helps in getting through the tough days for you? Thanks!

I am in a worried too my new BF says he will be supportive, but not only am I starting medical school ,but I also joined the army. He lives in a different state and his job will allow him to visit me every month and every time I have a chance I will be with him in his state. We are compatible and I know we can have a great life together. He is 44 so the level of maturity and what he wants out of life is there. I am determined to make this work...

My husband is almost done with his 2nd year of medical school.

It hasn't been nearly as bad as we thought it would be. I would say that 3-4 weeks out of the year are extremely time-consuming for the student and I barely see him.... but normally our lives are very normal.

We go on "dates" every weekend. We watch TV/movies together 4-5 nights a week. We have plenty of time to talk. For us it hasn't been that bad.

It is residency (particularly intern year) that I'm nervous about!