Med school is a 60 hour a week job?

Started by leagall
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
60? Push it down to maybe 20 and thats more accurate. Med school is hard, but its nowhere close to as hard as most students say it is.

I'm assuming you're an MS-1, you haven't even begun to taste how hard medical school is.
 
Last edited:
I think your first sentence is backwards, unless you're assuming TheProwler's friend has a sexy wife (and a more balanced life than you).

Also, I found the clinical years to be less time-consuming for me. Busting my ass the first two years in similar fashion to TheProwler's friend made third year so much easier in terms of studying for shelves/Step 2. Despite what some people tend to think, a good bit of M1/M2 (more so M2) course material still ends up being high yield during M3 even on exams. Getting to M3 felt like a huge breath of fresh air for me, and I suddenly had tons more free time (with a few exceptions here and there). The momentum built up during the first two years made cruising through the clinical years (and by cruising I don't mean slacking) so much easier.

Unless you're one of those students whom being able to study and memorization is your forte, and you flounder on the wards when it comes to presenting succintly with all eyes on you, difficulty with interacting with people on topics other than medicine, being socially shy or socially awkward, etc. Not to mention if you're unlucky enough to have a really bad resident (perpetually miserable, stressed etc.) - where you're not given fair handshake to make an impression (but this is life). The MS-3 component does have huge subjective component in which your attending/resident/intern evaluation of you is more of a gestalt impression of you. For many, MS-3 was hardly easier, than the first 2 years in which you have the protection of the classroom.
 
A lot of people say this about class. And its true for a lot of students. But when I think about the students that go to class, even into second year, they are mostly the best students in the class and they stay on top of all the material. I know that approach does not work for me, I would just get behind and miss a lot of information. But if going to class works for you, its probably a good thing.

Does your school not have recorded/videotaped lectures? Because IMHO, watching the lectures is going to class. Except you're at home in your pajamas.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We had mandatory path lab for most of second year, histo and micro first year.

Oh, I forgot, of course Histology lab to view slides. Surprised schools still do that considering most histologic images are readily available on the internet. I guess some schools still do lab practicals, and all. For Micro, I can understand doing so in Undergrad, but in medical school doing a gram stain or a Kirby-Bauer is quite useless.
 
Oh, I forgot, of course Histology lab to view slides. Surprised schools still do that considering most histologic images are readily available on the internet. I guess some schools still do lab practicals, and all. For Micro, I can understand doing so in Undergrad, but in medical school doing a gram stain or a Kirby-Bauer is quite useless.

They were in the process of digitalizing all their slides the year I took the course. But we were old school with slide banks and microscopes. And the younger students in subsequent years still had mandatory labs with the faculty, but instead of looking through scopes they were looking at big HD touch screens (which actually made for better teaching I'd imagine since a whole group could look at an image with the faculty much more easily).
 
Uhh no job but I do have a family, which I don't consider a waste of time.

And the library is a great place for people at my school to go and talk about how much work they have to do. Maybe my school isn't the same as the rest of you, but if you were to look around at any pool of people doing what THEY call studying, maybe 3 out of 10 are being productive at any given time.

While I think 20 hours a week is a little low (as an average since exam weeks will def be more) I can agree with the bolded. Seems like the majority of 'study' time was truly facebook/hulu time.
 
Uhh no job but I do have a family, which I don't consider a waste of time.

And the library is a great place for people at my school to go and talk about how much work they have to do. Maybe my school isn't the same as the rest of you, but if you were to look around at any pool of people doing what THEY call studying, maybe 3 out of 10 are being productive at any given time.

This. Different strokes for different folks.

brb you must study 60+ hours a week in med school or you'll repeat the year
brb you must have 10+ publications by 2nd year or you'll never match
brb 3.9+ GPA, 40+ MCAT or you'll never get into med school

Only on SDN.
 
Does your school not have recorded/videotaped lectures? Because IMHO, watching the lectures is going to class. Except you're at home in your pajamas.


It can be similar. But there is something to be said for actually attending class. It keeps your head in the game to a greater extent then staying at home in your pajamas. Even if you are watching the same content.
 
It can be similar. But there is something to be said for actually attending class. It keeps your head in the game to a greater extent then staying at home in your pajamas. Even if you are watching the same content.

Disagree. Grades went up a bit and morale went up a ton when I stopped going to lecture. Also I stopped getting whatever nasty sinus infection is perpetually cycling amongst my classmates.
 
6 hours a day outside of required classes is definitely on the high end. On the days that classes ended at noon, I might have come close to studying for 6 hours (probably more like 5 at most), but on days that class ended at 2 or 3, I would only get in a couple hours max.
Wow! My friend told me to be prepared to put in 5+ hours/day regularly and 8+ hours during exam week, just to be the average Joe in my class. I am REALLY scared!
 
true fact - 40 of the 60 hours are spent worrying about how much studying you have left...not actually studying lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow! My friend told me to be prepared to put in 5+ hours/day regularly and 8+ hours during exam week, just to be the average Joe in my class. I am REALLY scared!

As this thread clearly shows, there is a wide range, and within that wide range, a very high standard error in peoples' estimates.

Come in prepared to work your butt off. Find out what works for you, and how much time YOU need. Everyone elses' estimations are worthless.