Med School is Easy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mycin1600

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
nt

Members don't see this ad.

you are out of your mind ;)

I thought the same thing, until classes started and the first anatomy test arrived.

:eek: this was how I felt after reading the first 4 questions on the anatomy test and not knowing a single answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took an exam and owned it. I am God.

Dont even both reponding to this post. Obviously its someone trying to get a rise out of us or needs to have his horn blown or to do it himself.

Originally posted by jimdo
Dont even both reponding to this post. Obviously its someone trying to get a rise out of us or needs to have his horn blown or to do it himself.

Thanks for the heads up...I wasn't smart enough to figure that one out.

Of course it's easy, everybody passes. And you don't even need to study.

Class? what class? Volleyball dude! :cool:

Too bad I said exam and not test.

Did you pass your breast exam? Or are you stage III or IV with a metastasising tumor in your axillary lymph nodes or j00r bon3z, hyp3r3str0g3n1f1ed gyn3c0mastia man?

what school do you go to mycin1600?

Originally posted by Moleculo
Fine. 98.5% of people pass the Orientation Week Sexual Harrassment exam.
that was a hard ass exam!!!!!! :( :(

Moleculo, hey baby :love:

Originally posted by Hero

Class? what class? Volleyball dude! :cool:

Dude, there is class, then there is Volleyball!!!!! (inside joke)

Originally posted by mycin1600

You wish you were God:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Stop trying to make yourself look so self-important. It makes you look stupid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my, she's denying my godliness. Oh well; she's only 15... she doesn't know anything anyway...

I'm a second year.

Medical school isn't "easy" but it's certainly not as difficult as I was lead to believe. And the workload, so far, isn't any more intense then your typical "nine to five" job.

In other words, we usually get done with classes and activities by around two o'clock, at which time I generally study untill five or six at which time I go home to my family.

No different, really, then what i was doing before.

Could it be that many medical students have never worked at a "real" job and so are amazed at being required to do something for the whole day? (And occasionally come in on weekends?)

I am also a second year. I agree that it is more an issue of workload vs. difficulty of the material, but the amount of time you spend studying really depends on how rapidly you are able to make the material your own. In other words, when a fellow student "pimps" you on information from the day's lectures, you can "bitch-slap" that person with the correct answer in under 2 seconds.

I just love pimp/ho' analogies. Seems like every test question on our micro exam yesterday involved some 19 year-old female prostitute with leaky genitals. What about 15 year-old male prostitutes with "pudal" necrotizing fasciitis on Hollywood Blvd? Medicine is so sexist, but this is a topic for another thread and my apologies for the digression.

Originally posted by MD'05

I just love pimp/ho' analogies. Seems like every test question on our micro exam yesterday involved some 19 year-old female prostitute with leaky genitals. What about 15 year-old male prostitutes with "pudal" necrotizing fasciitis on Hollywood Blvd? Medicine is so sexist, but this is a topic for another thread and my apologies for the digression.

Heh. We used to get a ton of "Sweet Jimmy the Pimp"-type questions on our anatomy practicals. It's amazing how many ways a Pimp can regulate his ho and cause such and such damage... unbelievable. :)

You certainly are. By the way, I built a shrine to you in the alley behind my apartment where I sacrifice little animals daily. Will that appease you, o mighty one?

mycin, you rule, man!

Originally posted by Moleculo
Big deal, I know tons of people who pass their TB tests.

I passed out of that test because of my previous curriculum. How many people can say that in med school?

Panda bear, you're stupid. i go to class 8am-3pm then study till 12am and then sleep, M-F. Then I study 9am-1am saturday and sunday, taking 1 hr lunch and dinner breaks. i dont even take lunch breaks during weekdays. of course i just started, and i know i wont burn out because i like wut i'm doing. but i have to admit, it is harder than some stupid 8am-5pm M-F fulltime job.

i'm pretty sure you ain't studying ALL the time...

i mean, you did take some time off to share the lovely details of your life with all of us.

Originally posted by Jalby

Are the med students still out there trying to do that? ;)

I'd say the subject matter isn't overly taxing, but trying to shove it all into your brain - now that's a different story.

i'm taking the time to give and take on medical school related topics. i dont study all the time but the time i do put in is definitely more than M-F 8am-5pm.

Reveal yourself my friend!!! I'm in your class at Sinai :) I'm the tallest girl in the class.

Originally posted by Dr. I Bleed Blue and Gold
what school do you go to mycin1600?

Hey! I am in your class. I'm that smart asian dude!

Originally posted by yaoming
Panda bear, you're stupid. i go to class 8am-3pm then study till 12am and then sleep, M-F. Then I study 9am-1am saturday and sunday, taking 1 hr lunch and dinner breaks. i dont even take lunch breaks during weekdays. of course i just started, and i know i wont burn out because i like wut i'm doing. but i have to admit, it is harder than some stupid 8am-5pm M-F fulltime job.

Maybe you should learn to study more effectively, or seek help for your anal-compulsiveness.

Let's get this straight: You study approximately 80 hours per week on top of going to class? Do you have to study that much or are you just pulling your Uncle Panda's leg here?

Who's stupid? the guy who studies twenty hours per week (which should be enough, for crying out loud) and is passing everything relatively effortlessly or the obssesive grind who lives at the library and has no life?

Can you please tell me what medical school you go to that is so difficult that every waking moment of your life is sacrificed to it?

Have you ever worked an eight to five job? Come on. Be honest.

Originally posted by Ebola

Who are you??

Originally posted by Ebola

:laugh: I'm sorry, but that comment is funny! I feel like saying: which one?

You know who I am! Come on! That smart asian guy! The one that is a hard worker and good at math!

Originally posted by yaoming

Welcome to my life. I studied for 16 hours a day with no breaks for the past 2 weeks and I just barely passed my block exam on friday. (I guess I learned my lesson for not studying like that the whole month). :laugh: But now I have to keep it up!

This sucks. :rolleyes: I feel like I'm in hell and it won't get any better ever.

mr mycin attends the big H - a charming ambassador to the plebians below;)

Originally posted by Doctora Foxy
Welcome to my life. I studied for 16 hours a day with no breaks for the past 2 weeks and I just barely passed my block exam on friday. (I guess I learned my lesson for not studying like that the whole month). :laugh: But now I have to keep it up!

This sucks. :rolleyes: I feel like I'm in hell and it won't get any better ever.
Damn, I feel like a slacker compared to some of you people. 16 hrs a day???? For 2 straight weeks ???? :eek: Hell, if I get 2 hours of solid studying in, it's been a productive day. :oops: Of course yesterday was supposed to be spent studying, but I decided it was more fun to watch the Gators tear apart the Volunteers 30-13!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by MD2b06
Damn, I feel like a slacker compared to some of you people. 16 hrs a day???? For 2 straight weeks ???? :eek: Hell, if I get 2 hours of solid studying in, it's been a productive day. :oops: Of course yesterday was supposed to be spent studying, but I decided it was more fun to watch the Gators tear apart the Volunteers 30-13!!!!! :clap: :clap:

I'll second what MD2b had to say. I am having quite a bit of trouble getting the kind of motivation needed to pull a 16 hour day. Any tips on how you get yourself to focus for such a long time? Everything I try to learn just bounces right off my brain, leaving me frustrated and unprepared for the test.

As for those that say it is no more than a 8-5 job, I just want to say if that is really the truth, count your self lucky. There are hundreds of med students that would love to be able to only put in a few hours of study in after class each day and pass all their tests. Myself included

My motivation is knowing a bunch of people are repeating the year and a few already dropped out. I'm scared out of my mind of failing, so I studied as much as I could for the last test. At the beginning I wasn't motivated at all, so I really had to catch up the past 2 weeks. Also, we have letter grades to motivate us. :rolleyes:

GO GATORS!!!!!

Dra Foxy - if you had your exam on Friday, I presume you don't have the marks yet (correct?) In which case with the amount of studying you did, I'll bet you did better than barely pass. :) (And even if not, just keep reminding yourself that P=MD...)

In two weeks it'll be my turn - anatomy, histo and embryo written and practicals, all in two days. Gaack. I've pretty much been a slacker thus far (besides studying for the first behavioral science exam), but the party's definitely over... :(

Originally posted by Jalby

class is class. But volleyball is Volleyball!!!!! :p :D

it's a pitty we don't have a bball court.

also, P=MD is the best thing ever! :D :clap:

Originally posted by Doctora Foxy
My motivation is knowing a bunch of people are repeating the year and a few already dropped out. I'm scared out of my mind of failing, so I studied as much as I could for the last test. At the beginning I wasn't motivated at all, so I really had to catch up the past 2 weeks. Also, we have letter grades to motivate us. :rolleyes:

GO GATORS!!!!!

That is scary, at my school only (only?) three are repeating, and they all had personal non academic reasons for repeating. We are pass, fail, honors, so that helps, I guess. I really have trouble with the written part of the anatomy tests. The level we have to know the material is amazing. The practical part come easy for me, but the final exam, the only one that counts for us, is all multiple choice with no lab part. I am scared. Everyone in my class seems soooo smart.

I WILL find my motivation somewhere, hopefully not from repeating classes in the summer, or worse.

Originally posted by Lara
Dra Foxy - if you had your exam on Friday, I presume you don't have the marks yet (correct?) In which case with the amount of studying you did, I'll bet you did better than barely pass. :) (And even if not, just keep reminding yourself that P=MD...)

In two weeks it'll be my turn - anatomy, histo and embryo written and practicals, all in two days. Gaack. I've pretty much been a slacker thus far (besides studying for the first behavioral science exam), but the party's definitely over... :(

Our tests are on computers, so we got the grades a few hours after the test. And yes, I just barely passed with two Cs. We had one full test day, from 8-5, of anatomy, histology, embryology, radiology, and patient care written and practical exams. My brain still hurts. :(

I think if I study the way I was cramming for the last test every day I could get better grades. I didn't study at the beginning b/c I was in shock with all the &*$% we had to do.

i'm so bitter......:rolleyes:

Once again, nothing less than 100% is acceptable. P=MD is a foolish philosophy.

I have been studying non-stop for the past 26 hours (n.b., I guess in this process I have come to realize that I am not human as well, since I have not consumed anything, caffeine or otherwise).

However, I think I'm going to die... or at least I feel like I'm going to die... I haven't eaten, I haven't slept, I haven't done anything other than study.

And all I can think about right now is not eating or sleeping but rather how much it would suck if I didn't make 100s on all my exams (and, of course, the biochemical basis for starvation)

Yeah, that 74 = D sucks doesn't it Foxy?? I never could reach that 93 "A" last year. Look on the bright side, next year the grade scale drops back down to a reasonable 72 to pass...

All I can say is to not stress out about EPC so much since they've changed it back to P/F (unlike our class who got grades for those ridiculous tests). Learn how to do your physical exams, but don't freak out about them...Anatomy (and later, neuro) is what you really need to worry about. We wasted a lot of time preparing for EPC last year...it's not worth the stress...you'll learn much more by going to EAC than you will in EPC! Reality is much better than the SP's!

Oh yeah, don't be fooled by all the people in you class that will go around saying they aced the test...trust me, there are a LOT of people that made C's too!

I made a C on my path exam....and I studied from day one. Sometimes you just can't win.

I have been studying non-stop for the past 26 hours (n.b., I guess in this process I have come to realize that I am not human as well, since I have not consumed anything, caffeine or otherwise).

However, I think I'm going to die... or at least I feel like I'm going to die... I haven't eaten, I haven't slept, I haven't done anything other than study.

And all I can think about right now is not eating or sleeping but rather how much it would suck if I didn't make 100s on all my exams (and, of course, the biochemical basis for starvation)

Don't forget, mycin, patients aren't looking for textbooks to treat them. They're looking for human beings. No one's going to be grateful to you and say, "Oh, thank you doctor for knowing my pathophysiology so well..."

To everyone else: just do your best, and keep some balance in your life. Life in medicine doesn't really get any easier - your struggles just change. You just need to learn to roll with the punches. When it's all said and done, getting a few extra points on an exam is not something you'll look back on with fondness or regret. There are simply more important things in life.

Before anyone questions my devotion to quality care for my patients, it's just the opposite - think about it.

Good luck with exams, everyone.

Uh, weren't you the one saying that medical school was easy?:confused: 26 hours of studying straight!:eek: That's just crazy. I study about 2-4 hours tops a day (usually really only 2 hours), and then probably study about 20 hours altogether in the weekend. If you continue at that pace your brain will probably fry. You're asking for a burnout real quick and this is only the first semester!

Look, I'm not a freaking genius. And I'm not at the top pf my class, either. (And I have never failed a test or got anything below a 74, for that matter) But I am at the top of the bottom third! My question is this:

Exactly what is it that you are studying that requires 16-hour study days? I can understand having to cram, especially if you are prone to blowing things off between exams. But 16 hours every day for two years? You are indeed pulling your uncle Panda's leg.

Maybe I'm wierd, but I consider six hours of intense study the day before the exam "cramming" and am pretty dead set against it. Consequently I try to study three to four hours per day consistently to avoid the need to cram.

I hope you are getting perfect grades, because you deserve them. At the same time, I can't understand how anybody can study every waking minute of the day and still "barely pass" their exams. Maybe, like I said, you need to reevaluate your study techniques...or even your career goals. Maybe your undergraduate colleges are not doing as good a job preparing you for graduate studies. Who knows?

On another note, since I have a wife, two kids, a baby due in October, three full-grown dogs and a new puppy, I simply can't devote all my free time to studying. In other words, I don't expect I'll be going into dermatology or urology or any other highly competative residency. On the other hand, I'm a pretty good guy, well-liked (no, really Mustafamond and Cerebus), and as smart as anybody else in my class so who knows?

I think he has a point starting this thread. Except for the late nights studying, no sleep, constant anxiety over tests, never ending lectures and labs, and that histo test that completely kicked my ass this morning, med school IS easy.

Let's just say it's harder than slinging burgers at McDonalds for nine hours per day.

I just want to add that I studied a lot more first year (but not nearly as much as some of the claims posted here) then I am doing in second year. I suppose even the super-compulsive will burn out and find a balance.

I think a lot of you power-students are experiencing what I think is referred to as the "law of diminishing returns." That is, a fifty percent increase in studying will increase your grade from a 70 to an 80. But to get to a 90 you will have to increase your studying 200 percent. Likewise to get a 95 you will have to study till your eyes fall out, and there are not enough hours in the day to get a 98 average. (Sorry)

How can any normal person lose sleep consistently at medical school. Get up at 6:00 AM. Run, jog, whatever for an hour. Breakfast, school by eight, classes untill three. Take break. Start studying (if you must) at five. Study until ten. Hit rack. Sleep like baby. I mean, some of you obviously have no social life, so what would be wrong with this kind of monastic schedule?

I'll almost be sorry when third year starts because then I'll have to work long hors.

Originally posted by Panda Bear

I'll almost be sorry when third year starts because then I'll have to work long hours.

Believe me, even though the hours may be longer in 3rd year, it's a nice break from first 2 years. The first 2 years are congested with useless trivia that you'll never use - who cares how many passes a g-protein makes through the membrane!! You could safely cut the first 2 years to 18 or 12 months if you threw out all the junk.

During your 3rd year, you actually start learning to think like a doctor. And people will treat you like one too. You'll have to work hard in 3rd year, no doubt about it. You'll have to get up pretty early for some rotations, you won't always like the staff or your colleagues, sometimes you have to do scutwork, etc., but it comes with the territory. You suck it up and do your best to help your team. If you go in with the right attitude, you can get a lot out of it.

Originally posted by Panda Bear

I'll almost be sorry when third year starts because then I'll have to work long hors.

Third yr: working 80 hrs a week while studying during your free "nights" and weekends for tests that are just as difficult as the first 2 yrs. :(

To reemphasize my point: panda you are stupid.
did i ever say i study that much to pass? we am honoring my classes. it doesnt mean that i want to go to a competitive residency. i cant imagine myself looking at eyes and skin every freakin day. maybe i just like to get honors and study hard. dont make assumptions about my goals and intention based on one post.
i went to ucla, a school known to rear competitive premeds. had to kick some ass and conquer competition to get my A's, no freebies up in that school.
maybe you should start your own thread: "medical school for family practitioners are easy." then i might agree. some of us actually have the opportunity to not care for 3 kids and want to specialize.
i socialize with people in my class during breaks and a little bit after class, and sometimes after exams. but the other times, i'm busting my ass. it's my choice. it's your choice to have kids. but that aint easy either. i'm not antisocial, and probably as easy going as you. but dont categorize everything into one. med school means diff things to diff people.

to each their own. yaoming, i hope you do very well, you deserve it.

I wish to be as hard working as you. Time to stop playing games and watching tv. I need the get cracking!

right after smallville 9pm tonight :D