Med school LOA for head trauma, interest in neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurosciguy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the obnoxious SN...
I know little about neuro-- never would have considered it before-- but think it's for me. Maybe autoimmune focus.

I'm feeling alone about the possibility of taking an LOA from a U.S. MD school after my 1st semester. Was hoping I could get some input from residents or PDs.

A month before school I sustained a concussion in an accident (along with some leg breakage and nerve damage). I actually had no head imaging done, but will pursue that because of ongoing issues. I considered deferring matriculation, and really should have.

My grades are fine, but I'm not remembering or retaining information very well. The main problem is that I'm dealing with severe depression (related? unsure, but it feels very organic), and it's affecting my life majorly. I'm getting treatment but feel I'm not stable and may need more serious help. Will also see an eye doc this week.

A concussion seems like a weak excuse to take time off, and I think neuro would especially question it (or see right through to mental illness with a potential for relapse). But I'm concerned about starting next semester in this state.

My options are:
1. Try to suffer through the semester and aim to pass while switching around meds, and possibly risk disaster.

2. Take an LOA for a year, work in a neuro lab, hopefully get some pubs (I've never done this), and do intensive intervention and therapy for the depression and cognitive struggles. But will have to explain this awkward gap on apps.

Realistically, what kind of red flags would this raise if I come back and hopefully do well on boards with some research under my belt? Advice about selling this on my app?

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, your health always comes first. No one is going to hold it against you that you are taking a leave of absence for a health related issue. Get the help you need, recover, and come back strong. It will have zero negative impact in how competitive you are or how you match.

Reactions: 1 user
Without really delving into your symptoms or treatment or anything (which would be a violation of the TOS and I encourage no one else to do, either), taking a LOA for a documented health-related issue will not be frowned upon. Neurologists in particular have a better understanding of post-concussive or post-TBI syndromes than most, because we see people with these problems in clinic. I feel like most of the time when people try to suffer through medical school will simultaneously trying to get their house in order, the results are less optimal than if they took time off to consolidate and regroup. That's speaking in generalities, however, and your situation could be different.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for the obnoxious SN...
I know little about neuro-- never would have considered it before-- but think it's for me. Maybe autoimmune focus.

I'm feeling alone about the possibility of taking an LOA from a U.S. MD school after my 1st semester. Was hoping I could get some input from residents or PDs.

A month before school I sustained a concussion in an accident (along with some leg breakage and nerve damage). I actually had no head imaging done, but will pursue that because of ongoing issues. I considered deferring matriculation, and really should have.

My grades are fine, but I'm not remembering or retaining information very well. The main problem is that I'm dealing with severe depression (related? unsure, but it feels very organic), and it's affecting my life majorly. I'm getting treatment but feel I'm not stable and may need more serious help. Will also see an eye doc this week.

A concussion seems like a weak excuse to take time off, and I think neuro would especially question it (or see right through to mental illness with a potential for relapse). But I'm concerned about starting next semester in this state.

My options are:
1. Try to suffer through the semester and aim to pass while switching around meds, and possibly risk disaster.

2. Take an LOA for a year, work in a neuro lab, hopefully get some pubs (I've never done this), and do intensive intervention and therapy for the depression and cognitive struggles. But will have to explain this awkward gap on apps.

Realistically, what kind of red flags would this raise if I come back and hopefully do well on boards with some research under my belt? Advice about selling this on my app?

I'd love to hear what you decided to do. In a similar situation