Med school Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juiceman311

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for loans right now, but I'd like some advice as to what I should be looking for, good resources, etc...Any advice? I've never had to take any loans out before, so this is new for me.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking for loans right now, but I'd like some advice as to what I should be looking for, good resources, etc...Any advice? I've never had to take any loans out before, so this is new for me.

Thanks

Are you talking about govt loans like stafford/perkins or are you talking about private loans to cover additional costs?

You can borrow 30K unsub and 8.5K sub from Uncle Sam each year. Dunno if the interest rates have been announced yet, but it's usually the best deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you need more than the government loans (most do) the grad plus loans are a good deal if you find a good lender. They have an interest rate cap where as private loans do not. The one thing you should never do is pay an origination fee. They are a big ripoff and there are many good lenders who do not charge you that fee.

Thanks

I am in the same boat as you. So far I have found the website finaid.com to be very helpful. They have sections that talk about everything, even a chart that compairs all of the Stafford Loan companies for medical school loans. Hope that helps.