Med School Math Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skye04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Beyond one term of calculus, what would MOST medical schools prefer that an applicant take: another term of calculus or a term of statistics? I am not really concerned with individual schools because at this point I haven't narrowed it down to where I would like to apply. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

There are only a few schools I can think of off the top of my head that require a full year of calc [Harvard,Duke], but from what I've read from a many med school web sites is that statistics is recommended. Do a search for yourself though and browse around, get a fell for what schools you are interested in require. Good luck

UCLA requires a semester of stats.

PAIN IN MY ASS.

oh wait. i got rejected. pre-interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like Newton said, only a few schools require two semesters of calculus. Actually, if you did calcI, that will be enough for many schools. Some require two semesters of math eg calcI and some other math, like mt sinai. I have only completed calc I and that is it. I guess if I get accepted to mt. sinai, I will have to pick up the easiest math class possible somewhere. So look in the msar book from the aamc to be more specific.