Med School Merit Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyer193

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this topic has been brought up before, but I haven't found a good threat for it.

I'm not worried about getting into medical school. What I'm looking for is a medical school that I can get out of with little or no debt. Can anyone shed some light on which schools offer the most merit scholarship money, and what the stats are to get those scholarships?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Only 44 on the MCAT? plz - merit scholarships are only offered to the 45ers.

Reactions: 4 users
I know that this topic has been brought up before, but I haven't found a good threat for it.

I'm not worried about getting into medical school. What I'm looking for is a medical school that I can get out of with little or no debt. Can anyone shed some light on which schools offer the most merit scholarship money, and what the stats are to get those scholarships?

I'm an Illinois resident and a student-athlete at TCU, with a 3.79 GPA and a 44 MCAT

Apply to top schools and I'm sure you will get some merit scholarship. University or michigan and Vanderbilt are good schools to start with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone accepted to medical school is meritorious. Distribution of recruitment funds will vary depending on the school and what they need to get the students they want away from other schools. After a certain point, it has nothing to do with stats. A student who is only holding one acceptance doesn't get recruitment $, no matter what their stats may be..

Some schools give everyone some $ which effectively reduces tuition, though.

Jokes aside, if the op is not a troll ;), many top schools offer large chunks of merit scholarships, in particular to those with high MCATs in the 40s (of course you have to have everything else good to go). Schools include UChicago, Vanderbilt, UCLA, Columbia, Duke, WashU, UPenn come to mind, many with full tuition covered.

Not always true..
Very few things are always true. If we are completely confident that someone we want is going to get offers elsewhere, a preemptive offer may be made. The concept of strategic use of resources is what I am simplifying for clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Very few things are always true. If we are completely confident that someone we want is going to get offers elsewhere a preemptive offer can be made.

Depends on the school. Schools like Vanderbilt and WashU sometimes give out their merit scholarships really early, before they can tell where else their accepted students got into. I do agree though that most schools tend to wait until March before deciding how to allocate their merit scholarship funds.

It seems to me that most of the Ivy League caliber schools either don't offer or just don't advertise any merit scholarships. Does anyone know if the Harvards and Hopkins of the world offer any money?

It seems to me that most of the Ivy League caliber schools either don't offer or just don't advertise any merit scholarships. Does anyone know if the Harvards and Hopkins of the world offer any money?

Harvard, Hopkins, Yale, and I think Stanford? (correct me if I'm wrong) only offer need-based aid. If you are from an affluent family, you are out of luck at these schools, no matter how good your stats are :p.

Harvard, Hopkins, Yale, and I think Stanford? (correct me if I'm wrong) only offer need-based aid. If you are from an affluent family, you are out of luck at these schools, no matter how good your stats are :p.

Correct, no merit money at Stanford :(

Some of the mid-tier schools offer money as well (the BUs and NYUs of the world), although they tend to not have the endowments to support full tuition scholarships. I got $20K/year at one of those schools, FWIW.

And the super-Ivies definitely don't give merit aid or often even match scholarships. When Yale accepted me off the wait list, I tried to get them to match my scholarship. No dice.

Some of the mid-tier schools offer money as well (the BUs and NYUs of the world), although they tend to not have the endowments to support full tuition scholarships. I got $20K/year at one of those schools, FWIW.

And the super-Ivies definitely don't give merit aid or often even match scholarships. When Yale accepted me off the wait list, I tried to get them to match my scholarship. No dice.

NYU offers both full tuition and full cost of attendance scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school. Schools like Vanderbilt and WashU sometimes give out their merit scholarships really early, before they can tell where else their accepted students got into. I do agree though that most schools tend to wait until March before deciding how to allocate their merit scholarship funds.

Everyone accepted to medical school is meritorious. Distribution of recruitment funds will vary depending on the school and what they need to get the students they want away from other schools. After a certain point, it has nothing to do with stats. A student who is only holding one acceptance doesn't get recruitment $, no matter what their stats may be..

Some schools give everyone some $ which effectively reduces tuition, though.

That's true. I know of 2 people who got huge scholarships from Wash U and they didn't end up getting into any other comparable schools. I know that other top schools dish out merit money early to URMs.

CCLCM if you like research. Every student there receives a full scholarship, but it is a 5 year program with a built in research year.

Here are the schools U know of that give out multiple scholarships

Penn (35 full tuition and more partial tuition)
WashU (I believe 18 full tuition, but not sure about the number. More scholarships available if you're a minority and/or a woman)
Duke
UChicago
UCLA (30 full cost of attendance scholarships, more full tuition scholarships)
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Pittsburgh
Northwestern (high numbers seem to be a prerequisite for consideration, moreso than other schools)
NYU (has a few full cost of attendance scholarships)
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic (32 students per class, full tuition scholarship to all 32)
Mayo (depending on the year may offer scholarship to all of its students)
Emory (4 full tuition)

PS most schools will offer at least one scholarship, but above are the schools in the top 25 that have at least several. I do know that Cornell does not offer any merit aid, and I'm sure there are a couple other schools with a similar policy, but I am not sure which ones.

WashU (I believe 18 full tuition, but not sure about the number. More scholarships available if you're a minority and/or a woman)
Duke
UChicago
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Pittsburgh
Northwestern (high numbers seem to be a prerequisite for consideration, moreso than other schools)
Case Western
Emory (4 full tuition)

PS most schools will offer at least one scholarship, but above are the schools in the top 25 that have at least several. I do know that Cornell does not offer any merit aid, and I'm sure there are a couple other schools with a similar policy, but I am not sure which ones.
Many/most MD schools offer full tuition scholarships. Their methodology is idiosyncratic.

44. Jesus christ almighty.

Reactions: 1 users

Duke
UChicago
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Emory (4 full tuition)

Thanks so much. This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. Do you mind me asking where you found this info?

Thanks so much. This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. Do you mind me asking where you found this info?

A lot of them aren't advertised and people find out through the process. Some schools have the info on their sites and you can find it through a simple Google search.

A combination of websites and seeing other people's posts on sdn

You got a 44 and you don't know how to use google? Highly unlikely. Don't lie about a score you think you can get until you take a few practice tests at least. I don't think that score means what you think it means.

You got a 44 and you don't know how to use google? Highly unlikely. Don't lie about a score you think you can get until you take a few practice tests at least. I don't think that score means what you t

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Just FYI OP, I would be very weary about what you post on SDN from here on out. I'm guessing there is exactly one person at TCU who got a 44, much less is an Illinois resident, much less an athlete.

Congrats on the MCAT score - strong work.

Do you know what question you missed in PS? Does it keep you up at night? LOL seriously though....congrats on that score. Fingers crossed for you to get a full ride somewhere.

I've gone through a google search and was looking for extra info.
View attachment 183811

Fair enough, that is one hell of an MCAT score! I really wouldn't worry about a thing if I were you.. As long as the rest of the app is solid and your interviews go well, you will get a full ride somewhere. Congratulations!

Very few things are always true. If we are completely confident that someone we want is going to get offers elsewhere, a preemptive offer may be made. The concept of strategic use of resources is what I am simplifying for clarity.

Sir, How does the process work? Do you disclose the acceptances to the varying schools? I have

How does the merit process work in terms of an applicant that a school desires? Once an offer is made do you disclose the other offers to various schools and negotiate? Given that some of the more intriguing schools are not rolling it strikes me that there is little time near the end to get this sorted. With offers beginning 16 October, a long gap of unknown outcomes and therefore unknown negotiation space sits is in play as well.