Med School prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike wang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a quick question regarding med school prerequisites.

I was wondering if I am able to complete the prerequisites in the summer after I get admission. In other words, if I apply this cycle and I receive admission (hopefully!), is it possible to complete a prerequisite the following summer (next summer)?

Another question I had was that if I take a course this summer, do I send a new transcript to AMCAS to update my current application?

Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I have a quick question regarding med school prerequisites.

I was wondering if I am able to complete the prerequisites in the summer after I get admission. In other words, if I apply this cycle and I receive admission (hopefully!), is it possible to complete a prerequisite the following summer (next summer)?

Another question I had was that if I take a course this summer, do I send a new transcript to AMCAS to update my current application?

Thanks for all your help!
You can apply, and be accepted, without all the pre-reqs completed, as long as they are all done by the time you start medical school. Generally, it is a good idea to have as many done as you can before you apply, since the pre reqs are the most important courses to adcoms, generally speaking.

Most schools just require that the pre-reqs are completed prior to matriculation. For those schools, you would be fine to take a pre-req in the summer before you matriculate.

Keep in mind, however, that there are some schools that have stricter guidelines, such as having pre-reqs done before January of application year, and some even require pre-reqs to be done before you apply. Check the websites of schools you're interested in for the specifics.

You would send transcripts to each school individually after initial submission/verification of AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about not having any pre-reqs done at te time you sunlit your app? I can't see how this could possibly be a good idea.

Are we talking something like Anatomy? I think you'll be ok.

Are you talking about not having any pre-reqs done at te time you sunlit your app? I can't see how this could possibly be a good idea.

Are we talking something like Anatomy? I think you'll be ok.

Well the majority of schools need an English credit so I was thinking of finishing it either this summer or next summer

Well the majority of schools need an English credit so I was thinking of finishing it either this summer or next summer

I am surprised how you can get a Bachelors degree with only one Enlglish course

I got my B.Sc. with ~140 credits of BCPM and nothing else. Schools are different.

Liberal arts schools seem to come with 'ged ed' type requirements very often

Not to hijack the thread, but I was also wondering. Would it matter if I took my second english course while I was applying to med school, aka first semester of senior year?

I attend a Canadian university so it might be different from what you guys learn in the states. I'm also in an honours physiology program so there isn't much room for electives