med school scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghgi8

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are there any scholarships available other than those from the military for med students? if so, what type of numbers do you need to have to be competitive for them?

Members don't see this ad.

ghgi8 said:
are there any scholarships available other than those from the military for med students? if so, what type of numbers do you need to have to be competitive for them?
The best thing? Talk with your commissioners or hospital board in your hometown.

I received a substantial scholarship from the hospital where I used to work. There's no firm commitment for me to practice there either. It just states that I will consider it. $10,000 scholarship helps out a LOT.

Other than that, I had 2 small scholarships given to me by my medical school. I think they totalled maybe $3,000 per year or so.

did you go through an application/selection process or just went and talked to them (sounds too easy)?

Members don't see this ad :)
National Health Service Corps Scholarship program, although there is a committment to practice in a health profession shortage area for each year of scholarship support....it is a great program....just interviewed for it this past Tuesday in San Francisco.

Try doing a google search or some local sources in your community or medical school for more information. Good luck!!! :luck:

ghgi8 said:
did you go through an application/selection process or just went and talked to them (sounds too easy)?
The scholarships from my medical school were awarded from my financial aid application.

The scholarship from the hospital was basically me going to talk to them... although after I talked to them, they advertised it and accepted applications. I was the only applicant. The benefit to advertising and accepting applications is to make it competitive (even though I'm the only applicant) in the government's eyes. If it's not open for applications, then it's considered a grant, which is taxed.