Med School Spouse Blogs

lizabee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, now that my husband has been accepted to medical school, I'd like to start reading some med school spouse blogs and can't find ANY. I've found heaps & bunches of med school student blogs, but no spouses.

Do any of you know of any spouse blogs or do I have to go out and start the first one? :D

Members don't see this ad.

lizabee said:
So, now that my husband has been accepted to medical school, I'd like to start reading some med school spouse blogs and can't find ANY. I've found heaps & bunches of med school student blogs, but no spouses.

Do any of you know of any spouse blogs or do I have to go out and start the first one? :D

i don't. but i can tell you that it is hell. my husband (or ex-husband; he is been gone for a month and threating me with divorce) is chief resident in a trama center in nj. the first 3 year the man was a ghost. working or sleeping. then rotation hit him and death. and now he is so unhappy that he took off, leaving me with 2 kids. honestly, it all depends on him and how he is going to handle the whole thing.
let me know and good luck.

omfswife said:
i don't. but i can tell you that it is hell. my husband (or ex-husband; he is been gone for a month and threating me with divorce) is chief resident in a trama center in nj. the first 3 year the man was a ghost. working or sleeping. then rotation hit him and death. and now he is so unhappy that he took off, leaving me with 2 kids. honestly, it all depends on him and how he is going to handle the whole thing.
let me know and good luck.

Uhm, thanks. I'm not concerned about my relationship with my husband through medical school as I have no reason to be, but thanks for the horror story. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
lizabee said:

I've found one, but it's a bit "Stepford"-esque, at times.

http://www.medicalspouse.com/forums/

So are some of the doc spouses that I've met. (Granted, it's usually the older wives, though.) There are a few at my husband's school that are just as snarky and goofy as I am, but some make me cringe everytime they open their yaps.

I see you're in Portland. I grew up between Portland and Seattle! Woo hoo!! (Sorry...I'm a little homesick...don't mind me...)

:oops:

And don't worry, you'll hear lots of different stories, some good and some not-so-good about life during med school. For us, it hasn't been so bad. But we were WELL prepared ahead of time for the schedule issues, lack of sleep, and lack of money. It isn't the easiest kettle of fish, but it could always be worse.

Do.the.DO said:
I've found one, but it's a bit "Stepford"-esque, at times.

http://www.medicalspouse.com/forums/
Thanks for that link. I'm a member over there, but don't have enough posts (50) to see the personal journals. I've been posting where I could so that I can gain access to that area though and then we'll see what I find.

Do.the.DO said:
There are a few at my husband's school that are just as snarky and goofy as I am, but some make me cringe everytime they open their yaps.
Hahah! Too bad you don't live here now because if you're snarky & goofy, we'd probably get along, and then we could throw things at the wives who needed to have things thrown at them.

I love Portland. I'm a born-&-raised Oregonian and DH's first choice was OHSU (2nd was U Vermont ... where we could have ended up had we not gotten in at OHSU) and I'm so thankful to still be here.

Do.the.DO said:
And don't worry, you'll hear lots of different stories, some good and some not-so-good about life during med school.

Yeah, I dunno where that last post came from. I've heard the good, the bad and the ugly, and have faith that ours will turn out in the "good" category. We've been together for almost 10 years, are best friends, are huge geeks, and know what's going to be in the picture for us now that med school is here. I've got a great support network, a job I love, and hobbies I absolutely enjoy doing on my own and so I've got places to turn. :) I'm glad that (it sounds) yours has been one of the "good," too.

Wish I could help but at least you have your own life. That will be VERY important as you know. If you guys are as close as it seems I'm sure he will make time for you when he can, just be supportive of him and realize if he has a bad day its not your fault. My husband has come home a few times annoyed (which is NOT his personality) and apologized to me for his actions. But I know some other husbands might not be so understanding. I'm sure yours is though ;)

I wasn't there for most of the first 2 years (we didn't know each other) and thank god we didn't. Part of our relationship was long-distance and its was internet 24/7. He just ate, slept, studied and talked to me. When we did get to see each other it was more of the same but I was just with him.

I'm glad you are so excited to start this new adventure in your life together and best of luck. If I come across any blogs I'll post in here!

mshheaddoc said:
Wish I could help but at least you have your own life. That will be VERY important as you know. If you guys are as close as it seems I'm sure he will make time for you when he can, just be supportive of him and realize if he has a bad day its not your fault. My husband has come home a few times annoyed (which is NOT his personality) and apologized to me for his actions. But I know some other husbands might not be so understanding. I'm sure yours is though ;)

I wasn't there for most of the first 2 years (we didn't know each other) and thank god we didn't. Part of our relationship was long-distance and its was internet 24/7. He just ate, slept, studied and talked to me. When we did get to see each other it was more of the same but I was just with him.

I'm glad you are so excited to start this new adventure in your life together and best of luck. If I come across any blogs I'll post in here!

Yeah, I'm surprised at the turn that this thread has taken. It had nothing to do with nerves or worrying about my relationship, and then this. I dunno. It seems like so many are preoccupied with what might happen. I refuse to do that. I live life day-to-day and am not overly stressed about the issue ... I just wish that it hadn't taken this weird turn. I dunno ... it makes me laugh.

Especially if you know your relationship. There are alot of negative relationships in this world and for some reason in medicine I find it amplified. Maybe its all the cocky doctors? B/c you heard of how MANY of them who think its ok to cheat. Some "old school" institutions have doctors who reinforce this to some of the students and I have seen it first hand. Its pretty ridic.

My husband is a newly minted MS IV and its hard because his rotations take him away from me and they have screwed him on certain rotations. The next 7 months he will only be home one of them, then another month is vacation. So he will be away from Sept-Dec. But you deal with it and move on. Many of us have strong relationsihps with our spouse and we know it. Love works in different ways. For some people it lasts a lifetime, for others, it lasts only a brief period. Its so sad :(

lizabee said:
Hahah! Too bad you don't live here now because if you're snarky & goofy, we'd probably get along, and then we could throw things at the wives who needed to have things thrown at them.

I love Portland. I'm a born-&-raised Oregonian and DH's first choice was OHSU (2nd was U Vermont ... where we could have ended up had we not gotten in at OHSU) and I'm so thankful to still be here.

Yeah, I dunno where that last post came from. I've heard the good, the bad and the ugly, and have faith that ours will turn out in the "good" category. We've been together for almost 10 years, are best friends, are huge geeks, and know what's going to be in the picture for us now that med school is here. I've got a great support network, a job I love, and hobbies I absolutely enjoy doing on my own and so I've got places to turn. :) I'm glad that (it sounds) yours has been one of the "good," too.

My husband grew up between Seattle and Tigard, (parents were divorced), and I grew up in Clark County. We originally looked at OHSU, too. (Heck, my husband even volunteered there in an ER study for a while to get a feel for it.) But when he was accepted early to a school a few states away, we decided that being 2,000 miles away from his mom definitely had it's advantages! (I never put any stock into those crazy MIL stories until I actually had a crazy MIL.)

We'll be in Portland all of July for my husband's first rotation. (Woo hoo!) I think the first place I'll stop after seeing family is Powell's. Man, I miss that place. Oh, and a coffee shop that isn't like a fast-food restaurant is probably next on the list. Ahhhh...real coffee again...mmmm...

It's funny. We seem to have a lot in common. My husband and I have been together for quite a while, too...and we're also giant geeks! What a small world!

Our experience with him being in med school has been great. His class is really close and we all socialize together along with their families. They're such a great group! Instead of all that competitive crap, they tend to help each other out with things...even non-school related stuff.

Yeah, it's a lot of work and can have it's downsides, but in all it's been a great experience for our family.

Do.the.DO, it does sound like we have a lot in common - but I have a great MIL. :) She's actually better than my actual mother, so I got really lucky there. Where are ya'll now? 2,000 miles away, of course, but yeah.

I need to do some research on this thing they call "rotations" which seem to take the doctor away from their family for a while. I don't think I like that at all! :scared:

I was at Powell's twice last week because I love that place so much. I buy German books all the time (I have a degree in German) and people stare at me on the bus with my crazy books. I sit in the aisles of the bookstore with books piled around me reading. Maybe in July I can meet you there and we can be giant geeks in the bookstore together.

From what I can see so far, Bobby's class has been getting closer. They have a thread here where they're always talking and planning to get together. I think that's a good sign ... I just have to make my presence known to all the girl-geeks in his class so that they absolutely know he's taken! :laugh: He's alllll mine, ladies.

Thanks for the conversations here ... it's making me feel even better and stronger in my support for DH and his Dr. dreams. (Yesterday night he told me that he's been researching Neurosurgery and so I get to do some research on how long I'm going to be a resident-widow. :)) Fun times!!

I've just sent you a p/m, Lizabee.

Do.the.DO said:
I've just sent you a p/m, Lizabee.

OOOOOH, a priiiivate message. :p I'm a geek. I'll go check it out & answer right away boss. I'm having a boring afternoon and need all the entertainment I can get right now!