med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLApremed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
DELETED IN MEMORY OF A SIGNIFICANT

Members don't see this ad.

I found it helpful to blow off studying every once in a while, and just relax (telling yourself that one day's worth of studying won't make a difference anyway). That little mental break can be very refreshing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm... I don't know. If your grades are bad, (like mine) that's all the more motivation to study for the MCAT, as a really good score can make up for a lot. Don't get nuts or anything, but just keep plugging away. It's one day out of your life, with a few months preparation. Just keep telling yourself that...surely you can stay focused for that long!

Just keep reminding yourself that you want to go into the test as well-prepared as possible. You don't want to look back later and say "damn...if only I studied more..."

Hello,
I was burned as hell trying to prepare for the MCAT's (working 2 jobs, and taking 20 hours that semester inc. OChem, and graduating). By far for me the best possible way to stay motivated was keep in touch with med school stuff (presentations by med schools, watching patch adams, getting out and volunteering) and then for me going out a doing some exercise helps, just a quick jog keeps the drowsiness away.

Then there is always beer....

"i mean consistent every single day w/ no pause of being pessimistic about the
outlook."

C'mon can anyone here say that they never had a moment of doubt? We all have ups and downs in this process. Everyone can be a little pessimistic at times. That's just normal.

One thing that helped me keep my motivation up was by reminding myself what the ultimate goal was. I volunteered in a emergency dept for two years. When I felt down about studying for the MCAT or my grades etc., I'd go to the ER, start working with patients, and remind myself of why I was doing this, and suddenly it was meaningful again.

For what it's worth, here's what worked for me:

Plan mini-rewards for yourself. For example, plan on a full week of studying and then one day on the weekend (or even just an afternoon and evening if that's all you can spare), get out and do something fun - go for a hike, to the beach, etc. etc. (all the usual things.) the key is to plan it ahead of time, so you have both the anticipation of FUN THAT'S YET TO COME!! and the knowledge that you have earned your reward and can therefore enjoy yourself without guilt.

Also, I'm not a fan of marathon study sessions. break it up into manageable chunks, and focus on one subject per chunk. (eg 2 hours of o-chem, 30 min break, 2 hrs of physics.)

DELETED IN MEMORY OF A SIGNIFICANT

•••quote:•••Originally posted by serpiente:
•C'mon can anyone here say that they never had a moment of doubt? We all have ups and downs in this process. Everyone can be a little pessimistic at times. That's just normal.•••••I never had any doubt. Well, I don't think I did. Maybe a little...I don't know. I'm guess I'd say I did have some.

No, that's not right, I didn't have any doubts. I'm pretty sure. :)