• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Med schools accepting online/hybrid classes this fall?

Dried Mango

Jun 4, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
I am thinking of taking the rest of my med school pre-reqs this fall, but given that some schools might be offering the classes in an online or hybrid format, I am unsure how med schools would perceive this, particularly for classes like orgo labs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Nugester

2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2017
  1. Medical Student
I am thinking of taking the rest of my med school pre-reqs this fall, but given that some schools might be offering the classes in an online or hybrid format, I am unsure how med schools would perceive this, particularly for classes like orgo labs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

In an ideal world you might be able to hold off and finish those classes in a different semester. However, no one knows what the spring and beyond hold. If that's what your school offers during the fall, take it.

If medical school X isn't understanding, then you probably don't want to apply there.

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
  1. Medical Student
I agree with Nugester. The honest answer is no one knows how medical schools will manage the impacts of the pandemic on future applicants to medical school. However, at minimum, most students have been impacted with one or two semesters moving online (spring 2020 and summer 2020). With many programs announcing similar decisions for fall 2020 or waiting until later in the summer to do so, it would be unreasonable for medical schools to expect students to delay premed classes until a later time due to the fact that many students need to complete these intro courses in order to move on with upper level courses in their major (biology, chemistry, physics, etc). My best guess is that many programs, especially state programs and programs in states that have been / will be significantly impacted by the pandemic / have implement school restrictions, will make reasonable accommodations to allow online classes in order to maintain the number of applicants they have to their programs (note: this is not due to collecting secondary fees but rather to ensure they select the best applicants from a larger pool). Personally, I would continue to take classes as planned - as long as you are confident that you will be able to earn high grades in hybrid or online classes - and accept the risk that there may be some programs that won't accept online classes.

About the Ads
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.