Med Schools and Full Course Load Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The One Who Knocks

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a fundamental question about course load.

Many medical schools require a full course load in order to look at your GPA for admissions, but I am having a hard time understanding what exactly a full course load is. For one, the definition of a full course load seems to vary.

For example, I am interested in applying to the Schulich School of Medicine (UWO) in a couple of years, and their GPA admissions page says:

"Applicants must meet the minimum GPA in each of the 2 best undergraduate years with a full course load of 5 full courses or equivalent with 30 credits or more, taken between September and April."

I am a Canadian currently attending Wayne State University, and WSU defines a full-course load as 15-18 credits per semester, which adds up to at least 30 credits from Sept-April. However, after completing my freshman year of study, I only took a total of 9 courses (5 first semester, 4 second semester) because I was always willing to take summer courses. This still added up to being 31 credits for my first academic year.

My question is: is it really about the NUMBER of courses you take for a full course load? Or is it more about the number of credit hours? Would 4 courses a semester not be considered a full course load despite the fact that my Fall + Winter credits adds up to being over 30?

Thank-you very much for the help! I am not sure if I should move forward with taking extra courses, or continue taking 4 courses each semester and making sure they add up to over 30 credits for the two semesters combined.
 
I have a fundamental question about course load.

Many medical schools require a full course load in order to look at your GPA for admissions, but I am having a hard time understanding what exactly a full course load is. For one, the definition of a full course load seems to vary.

For example, I am interested in applying to the Schulich School of Medicine (UWO) in a couple of years, and their GPA admissions page says:

"Applicants must meet the minimum GPA in each of the 2 best undergraduate years with a full course load of 5 full courses or equivalent with 30 credits or more, taken between September and April."

I am a Canadian currently attending Wayne State University, and WSU defines a full-course load as 15-18 credits per semester, which adds up to at least 30 credits from Sept-April. However, after completing my freshman year of study, I only took a total of 9 courses (5 first semester, 4 second semester) because I was always willing to take summer courses. This still added up to being 31 credits for my first academic year.

My question is: is it really about the NUMBER of courses you take for a full course load? Or is it more about the number of credit hours? Would 4 courses a semester not be considered a full course load despite the fact that my Fall + Winter credits adds up to being over 30?

Thank-you very much for the help! I am not sure if I should move forward with taking extra courses, or continue taking 4 courses each semester and making sure they add up to over 30 credits for the two semesters combined.
I think that's a school specific requirement. And you should probably talk to the adcom for THE MOST RELIABLE information. You know what i'm sayin'? : X
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in the same boat as you with UWO, almost. I'm going into my fourth year, and I only have one year with 30 credit hours (second year), although I made up my other two classes during one of my summers. I called them up a few weeks ago and explained the situation and the lady on the other end basically told me I was SOL and should just apply next year. Now, I applied anyways just in case she didn't have accurate information, but it definitely was upsetting to hear.
 
I've had two quarters where I was a part time student during my undergraduate years and Ihave had no issues thus far this cycle, 3+ interviews.