med schools emphasizing underserved populations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am aware of Drew, Oregon, Univ. Wash, the Dakotas, and W. Virginia. Several of these are not OOS-takers. As a SoCal native, is anyone aware of others that do not discriminate terribly against OOS? The MSAR has very little info about this....

Members don't see this ad.

runion said:
I am aware of Drew, Oregon, Univ. Wash, the Dakotas, and W. Virginia. Several of these are not OOS-takers. As a SoCal native, is anyone aware of others that do not discriminate terribly against OOS? The MSAR has very little info about this....

dont forget USC...they have the LAC hospital!

I've always questioned what "emphasize on underserved populations" mean. Does this mean rural areas with low population? Or does this mean "underserved" as in Compton, El monte etc.? Or does this mean im stupid?

Members don't see this ad :)
jojocola said:
I've always questioned what "emphasize on underserved populations" mean. Does this mean rural areas with low population? Or does this mean "underserved" as in Compton, El monte etc.? Or does this mean im stupid?

It means both...Rural areas do have inadequate healthcare but so do urban inner city places like South Central LA. Its just that they're different in terms of the environment obviously and their particular needs. No, you're not stupid!!!

Well, I don't know what 'others' mean. But what 'I' mean is all of the above, including rural, Native American, 'CA Inland Empire", Cuban/Haitian in Miami, Hispanic/Latino, Afro-/american or Third world.....any area with a low physician to patient ratio, lack of adequate equipment/meds and, at least in some areas, a particular culture that may impact medical care.

How would a medical school know that your intention is to serve the underserved? And if the schools like this, wouldn't all applicants say that they want to aid the underserved?

Also what are the advantages and disadvantages when working in "underserved" areas? (Besides the obvious)

jojocola said:
How would a medical school know that your intention is to serve the underserved? And if the schools like this, wouldn't all applicants say that they want to aid the underserved?

Adcoms take notice if you're living and volunteering in these areas because there's a higher chance that you will go back and serve your community. Notice on the AMCAS they ask if where you lived is underserved.

Wookey said:
Adcoms take notice if you're living and volunteering in these areas because there's a higher chance that you will go back and serve your community. Notice on the AMCAS they ask if where you lived is underserved.
Oh thanks, i have yet to look at the AMCAS. Is there a link i could use to find out more about AMCAS? Assuming its not www.amcas.com :laugh:

East Tennessee State University emphasizes this a LOT, plus it's a great school. Definitely my top choice school, that or Vandy.

MFP

Thomas Jefferson has the physician shortage area program.

http://www.tju.edu/psap/home/index.cfm

...Pennsylvania has a severe maldistribution of physicians, with almost one-half of the doctors in the state practicing in only 3 counties (Philadelphia County, its suburban Montgomery County, and Pittsburgh's Allegheny County), even though the remaining 64 counties have almost three-quarters of the population...

jojocola said:

I think it would be evident by where you may have volunteered (where you primarily volunteer)

depending on what kind of underserved you're looking for, I've been told to look for MPH or combined MD/MPH programs, or master's/emphasis in global health.

I think UCSD has some things that are oriented toward global health - i.e. clinical rotations in Honduras... I'm not sure if they have a global health emphasis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Global health. I see. Well, am I the only one on the forums afraid to go outside the U.S. I'm all for rural areas and other places that tend to leave people to be underserved; But, outside of the U.S.! I don't know. Im a chicken. Don't you guys hear the stories of those whom never RETURN! heh.. heh :oops:

University of Pittsburgh has an "area of emphasis" for working with underserved populations, kind of like a minor that goes along with whatever you specialize in.

Check out Meharry - in Nashville

Wookey said:

Some counties are automatically designated as underserved by AMCAS.

runion said:

MSUCHM has two programs in the third and fourth years-- the Saginaw community has an emphasis on underserved populations (migrant and others), and the Upper Peninsula campus emphasizes rural populations.

Georgetown requires community service during med school. that should indicate their views on the subject.

P-Bone said:
Georgetown requires community service during med school. that should indicate their views on the subject.

Hi there,
Georgetown is NOT a school that emphasizes service to the underserved. Neither GT nor GW are located in underserved areas. GTs community service project can be anything from AIDS to teen counseling which may or may not involve underserved populations.

Howard has the charter for service to underserved populations. That is why their tuition is half of GTs and GWs while being a private school like GT and GW(All DC schools are private).

njbmd :)

runion said:

By underserved do you mean poor or rural? OHSU emphasizes rural medicine.

Hey I have a question, what is the term used for the area in medicine for medically serving under-served communities? is it called "community medicine" or is it something else? As in, what do county health organizations do?

1. Every medical school is going to pay lip-service to this, so if it's truly an area of interest you are going to have to dig deep.

2. I would be suspicious of schools that have "special programs" without knowing a great deal about them. What exactly are the implications for your education? Does this mean you will be doing your rotations in more underserved areas or what? I strongly advise people against doing core rotations (like FM, outpatient IM) in settings where there is not a good support staff and good patient care systems in place. Else you could spend alot of time filling out forms and trying to arrange care -- I've seen it happen. Med school is your time to learn, you can save the world later on!

3. You will realize quickly that the "underserved" have much the same health issues as the general population and that often what they need is help to bridge gaps in access. This is a job for social workers -- who I love and respect dearly. My point is that this whole concept of "underserved medicine" is in and of itself nebulous.

4. Trying to find an "underserved focus" is no sort of yardstick to use when judging medical schools. Find a good, cheap medical school that can get you into a good residency -- there will be plenty of time to save the world later!

when med school say they emphasize those who have served in underserved population, do they mean within the U.S. or can it be in foreign, developing countries?

3. You will realize quickly that the "underserved" have much the same health issues as the general population and that often what they need is help to bridge gaps in access. This is a job for social workers -- who I love and respect dearly. My point is that this whole concept of "underserved medicine" is in and of itself nebulous.

For the most part you are correct, there are specific populations that are underserved not because of lack of access but because no doctors are providing care in these areas (either because of geography or because of unwilling to practice).

And you're completely correct, social workers are the awesome!

Yeah as others have said - your background and/or activities will show you are dedicated to underserved communities.

Community service with those groups, working with a free clinic, working with underserved schools, etc.

So "saying you want to work with underserved communities" won't hold any water unless you have the activities to support it.

To the OP - UCSF has Urban Prime dedicated to learning to work with urban underserved communities, you have to apply to the program separately.
UCI has Latino Communities Prime dedicated to learning to work with underserved latino communities.
UCD has Rural prime dedicated to learning to work with rural communities.

All you have to apply to specifically and have extra interviews/essays. They are very competitive. But even if you dont get into one - going to a school with one benefits you because you can benefit from some of the resources available to the prime programs.

For the most part you are correct, there are specific populations that are underserved not because of lack of access but because no doctors are providing care in these areas (either because of geography or because of unwilling to practice).

And you're completely correct, social workers are the awesome!

His/Her statement isn't truly correct. The two communities don't have the same issues. The underserved is missing access, no doctors, unwilling doctors, cultural competency, language barriers, poor treatment, discrimination, etc. So there are a lot of things that can be fixed by physicians. It can all be fixed by social workers. Even though social workers are awesome!

keep in mind that some underserved populations may be over-represented by medical students now. that's why med schools emphasizing underserved populations rejected my buddy left and right, up and down.

Howard places strong emphasis in the underserved population and minority. In fact, this is their mission. That is why I'm heading to DC...:)

Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, as well as their College of Osteopathic Medicine, focuses heavily on underserved populations.

I can't comment on other schools, but University of Miami has a lot of wonderful student-run organizations that serve underserved populations.

check out DOCS: http://umdocs.mededu.miami.edu/

We also have student-run trips to Haiti, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, and India.

:cool: