Africa and Middle East med schools in africa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Howard Roark

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I might be spending 5 weeks in Africa (Malawi, Zimbabwe, and South Africa). Are there any medical schools in these countries that I could visit just to see how medical students are instructed in other parts of the world? Just curious.

thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are very good medical schools in South Africa. The problem with a lot of these places is not the quality of education, but the availability of resources. I am sure a google search can help you a bit. If anyone needs info about medical schools in Nigeria, I will be glad to help. I am an incoming med. student so I can't really help you with technical details just yet.
 
infiniti said:
There are very good medical schools in South Africa. The problem with a lot of these places is not the quality of education, but the availability of resources. I am sure a google search can help you a bit. If anyone needs info about medical schools in Nigeria, I will be glad to help. I am an incoming med. student so I can't really help you with technical details just yet.

hi infiniti, if it isn't too much to ask, can you please post the info you have on nigerian medical schools- the admission's process, duration of study, specialist courses, whether or not they accept foreign students and/or overseas students interested in electives etc

many thanks
 
Howard Roark said:
I might be spending 5 weeks in Africa (Malawi, Zimbabwe, and South Africa). Are there any medical schools in these countries that I could visit just to see how medical students are instructed in other parts of the world? Just curious.

thanks

I'm a med student in Kenya. Thought of passing by here? We train at a pretty large teaching and referral hospital here in Nairobi, called Kenyatta hospital.
Not a bad place, lots of conditions to see. 👍
 
Does anyone know of any opportunities for medical students from the US to do away rotations specifically in Nigeria?
 
Comfortdoc said:
Does anyone know of any opportunities for medical students from the US to do away rotations specifically in Nigeria?

i think opportunities exist, you might wanna try to contact one of the following universities since they are the more established ones in the country

the university of nigeria nsukka www.unn-edu.net
the university of lagos www.unilag.edu
the university of ibadan www.ui.edu.ng

i don't know a lot about the university in nsukka (although i hear it's good), but the ones in ibadan and lagos are superb.

all the best.