med schools on probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leaft

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in a couple other threads I have noticed rumors about med schools being on probation. here is the real deal:

http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm

The schools on probation clearly state it next to their names, but if you look at the *s next to the evaluation dates, you will see schools that are having one area of their school reviewed.

Members don't see this ad.

leaft said:
in a couple other threads I have noticed rumors about med schools being on probation. here is the real deal:

http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm

The schools on probation clearly state it next to their names, but if you look at the *s next to the evaluation dates, you will see schools that are having one area of their school reviewed.

thanks.

here's the list:

Medical School / City, State / Next Survey
*Limited, focused survey

University of South Alabama College of Medicine Mobile, AL 2004-2005*

Rush Medical College of Rush University Chicago, IL 2006-2007*
Rosalind Franklin/ Chicago Medical School
(Accredited, on probation) Chicago, IL 2004-2005*

Tulane University School of Medicine New Orleans, LA 2004-2005*

University of Minnesota Medical School Minneapolis, MN 2005-2006*

Columbia Univ Coll of Physicians and Surgeons NY, NY 2005-2006*

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
School of Medicine Chapel Hill, NC 2005-2006*

Eastern Virginia Medical School
of the Medical College of Hampton Roads Norfolk, VA 2006-2007*
Virginia Commonwealth University
School of Medicine Richmond, VA 2004-2005*

Joan C. Edwards SOM at Marshall Univ Huntington, WV 2004-2005*
-------------------------------
Any know the stories behind any of these?

Didn't Johns Hopkins lose their accredidation a few years back for a year? Something happened like that... maybe one of the hospitals lost their license or something. I dunno... it's sitting way back in my foggy memory.

Members don't see this ad :)
how do some of these top schools like unc chapel hill and colombia go on probation?

What does probation entaiL?

ummm...guys i dont think those schools are on probation...the only school is Rosalind. The other schools just have to fix a few things, but are on the path to probation

dopaminophile said:
Didn't Johns Hopkins lose their accredidation a few years back for a year? Something happened like that... maybe one of the hospitals lost their license or something. I dunno... it's sitting way back in my foggy memory.

you might be thinking about their internal med dept (i think), who got in trouble for violating the resident working hours.

What does probation for a school mean specifically--or rather, what does it mean to you if you attend a school on probation??

Thank you!

roady said:
what does it mean to you if you attend a school on probation??

Thank you!

Precocious premeds start 25 threads a day, discussing the probation.

Seriously, unless the school's administration is totally incompetent, the probation means nothing to you