Med School's Opinion on Pass/Fail Courses

stifler

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
    What do medical school admissions office think of pass/fail courses. I dont mean courses in your major or BCPM. I plan on using all my pass fails (four courses) and taking some credit fail courses (dance).

Would I be at a disadvantage? There are some courses at school that I will take that I wouldnt have a good chance of getting at least an A- in so I want to take them pass fail to keep a high gpa. I'll prob take around 5 or 6 courses of 32 courses pass fail. Do you think med schools will think poorly of me if my gpa was still respectable?

Thanks.

About the Ads

skoaner

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Sep 16, 2004
      This is a little intriguing to me, because as I'm sure many of you know many schools use a pass fail grading system. So if they use it for their evaluation of student when they arrive, who does it not suffice prior to that point?

stifler

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jul 6, 2004
        whats over doing it? i plan on taking 4 courses pass fail and taking 2-3 credit fail (which means the courses are only offered credit fail).

so that is like 6 or 7 out of 32 courses without a grade... will they think im not challenging myself? i mean at my school i dont get any credit for labs. i have 5 hour chem labs and it doesnt count as a quiz. Thats longer than a regular class...

dmoney41

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Sep 6, 2003
          It's like W grades. Nobody really knows and different med schools are different anyway.

Personally I'm of the opinion that neither W's or P/Fs matter that much - I just don't think they bother scrutinizing your transcript. You got the 120 credits and the GPA, that seems to usually be what they care about.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.