Med schools that don't require MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sskyler80

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any accredited caribbean medical schools that do not require the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard St.Matthews doesn't. Is it accredited... no idea.

looks like St. Matthews does require the MCAT according to the FAQ section of their website.

many of the schools require it these days. i got in during a time that my school didn't.

here's one that says "Recommended" - University of Sint Eustatius

Members don't see this ad :)
Windsor doesn't require the MCAT. It is accredited by the St. Kitts-Nevis Accreditation Board and IMED/WHO/Avicenna listed. You can be licensed in every state except Kansas (until 2015), California, and 4 other states that use the California approved school list (New Mexico, Tennessee, Indiana, and Alaska.)

Last edited:
you should see ValueMD's list of caribbean schools. then go to each of their websites to see if they require the MCAT.

as a side note, there are 5 or so states that follow the California List for licensure. so if, you can't practice in CA, you also can't practice in the states that use the list; at least initially. there are a few of these states that will let you through if you have gotten licensure elsewhere for a set amount of years.

there are 5 or so states that follow the California List for licensure...a few of these states that will let you through if you have gotten licensure elsewhere for a set amount of years.
There is an important distinction that needs to be made here. California has two lists - an approved foreign schools list and a disapproved foreign schools list. Several Caribbean schools aren't on either list. Indiana is the only state besides California that utilizes both lists.

North Dakota only uses the disapproved list (so students from any Caribbean school except St. Matthews and Spartan can still obtain licenses there, even if they aren't on the approved list.)

Last edited:
here's a thread for more information about the licensing : Which states currently use California lists
That thread is very outdated. A lot of states have changed their policies in that time. For example the thread lists Arkansas, which had been using the California list but was sued by AUA and no longer uses it.

Also keep in mind that schools not on the California disapproved list (every Caribbean school except St. Matthews and Spartan) aren't affected by the Idaho/North Dakota policy.

That thread is very outdated. A lot of states have changed their policies in that time. For example the thread lists Arkansas, which had been using the California list but was sued by AUA and no longer uses it.

Also keep in mind that schools not on the California disapproved list (every Caribbean school except St. Matthews and Spartan) aren't affected by the Idaho/North Dakota policy.

a lot or all of the states listed in the thread? that would help clarify.

going back to the original question, i created a list of caribbean medical schools and their requirements for the mcat. you can access the list here.

there's 18 caribbean medical schools that do not require the MCAT and 2 schools didn't list it on their website. when i have some more time, i'll add to the list about the accreditation status of the 18 schools.

a lot or all of the states listed in the thread? that would help clarify.
Here's the current list of disapproved states for licensure. It will vary from school to school depending on how long each school has been open and whether the school is not on either the California approved or disapproved list (i.e Windsor) or on the disapproved list (i.e. St. Matthews.)

List of ineligible states for Windsor (and other Caribbean schools not on either California list):
California: Windsor not on the approved schools list, prohibits licensure
Indiana: prohibits licensure based on California lists
Alaska: prohibits licensure based on the California approved schools list (page 17)
Kansas: doesn't use California list, but requires foreign medical schools to be open for 15 years (Windsor grads will be eligible for licensure in 2015)
New Mexico: prohibits licensure based on the California approved schools list (page 1)
Tennessee: prohibits licensure based on the California approved schools list

List of ineligible states for St. Matthews (and other Caribbean schools on the California disapproved list):
California: disapproved by the state medical board in 2005, prohibits licensure
Indiana: prohibits licensure based on California disapproved schools list
North Dakota: prohibits licensure based on California disapproved schools list
Alaska: prohibits licensure based on the California approved schools list (page 17)
Idaho: prohibits licensure based on disapproval by any other state/country; exception for board certification plus 5 years unrestricted practice (page 7)
Kansas: disapproved by the state medical board in 2006, prohibits licensure
Tennessee: prohibits licensure based on the California disapproved schools list
New Mexico: prohibits licensure based on the California approved schools list (page 1)
Vermont: prohibits licensure based on the California disapproved schools list
Oregon: prohibits licensure based on disapproval by any other state/country
Massachusetts: couldn't find a source for this, but a few people on ValueMD have indicated that MA follows the California disapproved list.

great ! thanks for doing the legwork and updating your previous messages to include the rest of the ineligible states.

i'm going to copy this into the valuemd thread.