Med Schools That Have Time for Research...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sirworksalot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if someone can let me know which medical schools focus strongly on research. I want to be a physician, but am also truly interested in medical research. I have heard some schools, such as Yale, require graduates to write a thesis. I know schools like Hopkins are really into research and Duke now has a year of possible research. Long story short, let me know which schools require/have and option to spend time conducting research...if possible please specify whether this research will extend the typical four-year MD degree.

thanks,

AP

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Sirworksalot
Hi, I was wondering if someone can let me know which medical schools focus strongly on research. I want to be a physician, but am also truly interested in medical research. I have heard some schools, such as Yale, require graduates to write a thesis. I know schools like Hopkins are really into research and Duke now has a year of possible research. Long story short, let me know which schools require/have and option to spend time conducting research...if possible please specify whether this research will extend the typical four-year MD degree.

thanks,

AP

I too am interested in research. Quite honestly, the top 20-25 schools on the US News research rankings all have very very good research programs as well.

Look for programs that require a thesis or have optional research tracks, these are schools that likely excel at teaching future academic physicians. The MSAR lists each med school's mission statement, and those that refer to training academic physicians would also be list-worthy.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Sirworksalot

thanks,

AP

If you like research, why not look into combined degree programs like MD/PhD, MD/MPH, or MD/MSc? There's always the option of completing a PhD, MPH, or MSc and then entering medical school, but that takes longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have thought about MD/PhD. However, while I do want to conduct research in the future, I want my main focus to be on patient care. I feel that MD/PhD etc. would lead me more toward a future simply in research. I am probably somewhat wrong in that assumption, but nevertheless, I think I can be both a practicing physican and research scientist through the MD degree. I appreciate your responses and will look into mission statements, although I am not familiar with MSAR.

Originally posted by zinjanthropus
also, if you are interested in doing research, some schools allow you take a year and conduct research with free tuition during that research year (duke is one of these i do believe)

Will this paid research year be part of the four years of traditional medical school, or will it be an addition? I don't see how one can spend a whole year simply devoted to research and still graduate in four years. Nevertheless, I don't think I would mind the extra year.

No, you would not graduate in four years. You would take a year off from med school. You may want to look at Penn, I know they are very friendly to med students who want to do research.

And an MD/PhD would not mean you would be doing research only. I've worked with an number of MD/PhDs who are able to split their time and be productive in both arenas. Which is why I'm going down that path as well.