Med schools that require recent letters of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tealstar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to apply to med school this summer (2014), but I've been out of school for 3-4 years. I got my professors to write letters of recommendations for me a year after I graduated and I've had them stored in my interfolio account. My letters will now be 2 years old from the date they were written. I'm just wondering if anyone who has applied/been accepted to MD and DO schools have any experience with specific schools requiring letters of rec to be recent (within 1 year)? I know Wayne State Univ School of Med requires letters to be within a year old, but I don't know of any others. Also, does anyone know of specific schools that will not count a letter from a bio stats prof as a science letter? I will have more recent letters from PIs from my research lab that I've been working in since I graduated. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You could probably avoid this problem by e-mailing your professors and explaining that you're now getting ready to apply for medical school and asking if they'd be willing to update the date on your letter.