Med Schools w/o class rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurekidsbraindoc

Reaction score
Sorry if this is somewhere else on here, but does anyone have a list of med school that don't do class rank or are pass/fail or any kind of more relaxed grading format? I know Yale does but idk any others. I go to an undergrad that greatly deemphasizes grades (Reed College) and don't want to lose that collaboration over competition vibe in med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools have gone to a pass-fail or modified pass-fail format in recent years. In fact, it's probably a yellow if not red flag to find a school that still uses traditional grading and GPAs.

Ask for class rank, they still exist but are somewhat deemphasized in this era. My school kept them and they were used for different honor societies and all sorts of odd stuff, but they were never public knowledge and the majority of students weren't interested in the number itself.

What my school also did is kind of put you in quadrants, especially for clinical grades. You got a certain number of points for how many high pass and honors grades you got, and your cumulative score determined how fancy your adjectives was in your deans letter. I can't speak to all schools of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if something like this was decently standard.

Long story short, some sort of ranking will always exist, what the culture around medical education and collaboration in most schools is so much better in this era.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Our school will place you in quartiles and mention that in the Dean's Letter sent to residencies. Class rank can help more than it hurts you. If you're top 10%, that will help with competetive residencies. Try not to be in the bottom quartile. You wil get a residency, just not Plastic Surgery. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users