med student suicide this week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marsupial

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone hear about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Must have been on surgery...J/k...Sucks if true.

We've had 4 med student deaths in my program since I started. (I'm MS4.) Two were intentional, and two are questionable. It's a 100-person/class program. (This is *not* a historical norm for my school.)

We have a very responsive administration and open access to confidential psych services. We have great support on all levels, and I can't imagine anything the admin could do to prevent these tragedies that they haven't done.

But still they happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have about 2 per year.
A month ago a MS tried to commit a suicide by jumping from the 9th floor.
Dropped on a Renault 5 and devastated the car.
But the most interesting part is that he is very much alive, he didn't even lose consciousness and only has a few broken ribs and a pneumothorax....

But the most interesting part is that he is very much alive, he didn't even lose consciousness and only has a few broken ribs and a pneumothorax....

The car saved his life pretty much.

Wow.

Random fact: The LD50 for falls is 4 stories.

Is the suicide rate higher among the med students? j/c

Is the suicide rate higher among the med students? j/c

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I believe there was a study in the annals of internal medicine last year, which showed around a 40% increase in suicide in male med students and a 130% increase in females versus the general population.

My first thought was, "Where in the hell do you even find a Renault to fall on in the US?" and then I realized you weren't in the US.

suicide? that's not happening! I have way too much to loose :D

Yes, it is well known that med students and physicians as a whole have higher suicide rates (I think it has also been studied and further broken down by specialty, but I can't remember it well enough to quote---although I think psychiatrists and anesthesiologists (?) were near the top of the list). Female physicians are higher risk than males as well.

some articles:
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/352/24/2473
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410643_2

I have heard that when compared to people of similar socioeconomic status(SES) male physician suicide rate is the same. female docs are slightly higher than SES control. maybe in the article i didn't read them. so its not being a doctor its being of high SES that is the issue

I think the key for women is that doctors know how to get the job done. Remember, women are much more likely to attempt suicide than men, but the gestures are often swallowing 10 Tylenol and immediately calling someone.

We've had suicides too. One person jumped off the roof of our first year dorm straight onto the Henry Hudson Highway some 15-20 stories below. A person at another med school in town killed themselves in the library by jumping off the fifth floor in the open atrium-like lobby. Sadly symbolic, no? That med school re-paved (is paved the right word?) the lobby floor with black and white tiles to create an optical illusion. Now, when you look down from the top story, it looks like jagged spikes are emerging from the floor up at you (so that if you jump, you're impaled).

I think they could have come up with better ways to deter suicides-- like, say, "your parents and friends still love you, even if you fail a test."

Reactions: 1 users
I think the key for women is that doctors know how to get the job done. Remember, women are much more likely to attempt suicide than men, but the gestures are often swallowing 10 Tylenol and immediately calling someone.

Makes sense.

While I might be in the wrong "profession," I'm surprised retail pharmacists aren't amongst the top of the pack in suicide rate. It is AWFUL beyond belief behind the scenes at your local Walgreens!

While I might be in the wrong "profession," I'm surprised retail pharmacists aren't amongst the top of the pack in suicide rate. It is AWFUL beyond belief behind the scenes at your local Walgreens!

I can only imagine. I've walked into Walgreens and overheard one of my own patients screaming at the pharmacist about what Dr. Wible said she was going to prescribe. It must be horrible there. I should go down and give a bouquet of flowers or balloons to my local pharmacists.

We've had suicides too. One person jumped off the roof of our first year dorm straight onto the Henry Hudson Highway some 15-20 stories below. A person at another med school in town killed themselves in the library by jumping off the fifth floor in the open atrium-like lobby. Sadly symbolic, no? That med school re-paved (is paved the right word?) the lobby floor with black and white tiles to create an optical illusion. Now, when you look down from the top story, it looks like jagged spikes are emerging from the floor up at you (so that if you jump, you're impaled).

I think they could have come up with better ways to deter suicides-- like, say, "your parents and friends still love you, even if you fail a test."

Wait what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/or grammar

WTF??!!? Only in New York.