You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Med students dating residents?
Started by readmypostsMD
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
why not? plus, you get study help and a residency connection.
That’s how I met my future wife, worked out well for us
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It can become a problem if you’d be working with that person on a rotation. If that is the case, you’d just notify your clerkship coordinator and mention the conflict of interest.
I know multiple people the dated residents as med students. It happens.
Is it usually girl med student + guy resident?
These are the relationships of the people I know, yes. One was an M4 girl with a pgy2 guy. Another an M4 girl with a pgy1 guy.Is it usually girl med student + guy resident?
Do med students ever date residents at the same school?
That's the end goal honey!!!

Sure I came here for a medical degree but this is a more pressing issue.
j/k (Sort of, maybe)
These are the relationships of the people I know, yes. One was an M4 girl with a pgy2 guy. Another an M4 girl with a pgy1 guy.
ugh so much for gender equality 🙁
I bet it has more to do with age difference.ugh so much for gender equality 🙁
As old as I am , I would have to date an attending . Hahahahaha
I bet it has more to do with age difference.
As old as I am , I would have to date an attending . Hahahahaha
You laugh.
There was a M4 man who’s married. Dated an attending.....
wait, is he married to that attending he was dating?You laugh.
There was a M4 man who’s married. Dated an attending.....
Im just going off people i know lolugh so much for gender equality 🙁
this sort of reminds me of that guy who was dating on tinder, did not tell his dates that he was in a wheelchair (nothing wrong about it, but its something a person should probably mention), and after the dates refused to go home with him at the end of the night, he blamed it on the wheelchair and tinder, and made a very long angry rant how he wants to sue tinder and those women for discrimination.... 🙂))). He said that those women should be forced to out with him, or it is discrimination and he will sue them.. (yes, seriously).Im just going off people i know lol
wait, is he married to that attending he was dating?
You know Mike? Or are you Mike?!
I think at the end Mike got divorce and the rest is history. That was a while ago....
no, i am not even a male. I was just trying to figure it out. So, he was single, met an attending, and got married to that attending?You know Mike? Or are you Mike?!
I think at the end Mike got divorce and the rest is history. That was a while ago....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Residents are forbidden to date medical students, but it happens all the time anyway.
no, i am not even a male. I was just trying to figure it out. So, he was single, met an attending, and got married to that attending?
Mike was married at the time as M4. Got to know attending Xena well. Matched into a different speciality at the same institution. Then divorce, then with Xena
what exactly do you mean? like, within the same program you mean? for example, if i am doing rotations in OB and it is an OB resident? What if it is just a random resident that i do not at all communicate professionally?Residents are forbidden to date medical students, but it happens all the time anyway.
I have a friend who found the resident she is dating via Bumble or Tinder lolwhat exactly do you mean? like, within the same program you mean? for example, if i am doing rotations in OB and it is an OB resident? What if it is just a random resident that i do not at all communicate professionally?
At any institution at which I have worked, the residents are told that ANY medical student is off-limits. That doesn't seem to stop dating from happening, but if things don't go well, there can be disciplinary action.
What if they were dating before the resident graduated medical school?At any institution at which I have worked, the residents are told that ANY medical student is off-limits. That doesn't seem to stop dating from happening, but if things don't go well, there can be disciplinary action.
I could see multiple issues that could arise, but I mean it's one of those things you just would have to see what happens if you went for it.
That would be differentWhat if they were dating before the resident graduated medical school?
You are joking? As a Med student and as a resident we were told it’s frown upon but they can’t control what we do on our free time.Residents are forbidden to date medical students, but it happens all the time anyway.
@OP if it happens, it happens
As I said, it happens all the time, but be careful, because if the person you are dating complains (calls it harassment, or whatever) you can be in big trouble.You are joking? As a Med student and as a resident we were told it’s frown upon but they can’t control what we do on our free time.
@OP if it happens, it happens
I imagine specific dating policies vary by institution, though dating anyone who you might have to write evaluations for is generally off limits. It's also generally discouraged to date people who you might be seen to have power over (as in resident over student) but tends to happen anyway. I can think of at least one student/resident couple I know, but they were together before coming to this institution.
What would be the best way to go about asking out a resident?
asking for a friend ofc
asking for a friend ofc

The only thing medical shows get right is that there actually is a lot of sex and affairs with doctors and other doctors/staff. Just not in the hospital... usually...
Don’t s**t where you eat. Speaking from extensive experience.
Worked out fine for me. 😀Don’t s**t where you eat. Speaking from extensive experience.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Before this necromancy thread gets locked I feel the need to correct the last sentence.The only thing medical shows get right is that there actually is a lot of sex and affairs with doctors and other doctors/staff. Just not in the hospital... usually...
The sex definitely happens in the hospital as frequently, sometimes more frequently, than outside the hospital depending on the specialty.
Just saying. 🙄
You can date whoever you’d like. If on the off chance one is in a position where one has to supervise the other, switches can be made.Do med students ever date residents at the same school? Is it ok to do? For some reason it seems like this wouldn’t be common perhaps because you could rotate where they work?
asking for a lonely incoming m1 🙁
These threads always confuse me. I feel like low key people just want to hear about sex stories in hospitals.
This just seems like it would be way too much of a headache unless you were a 4th year and they were a intern. IMO, Med School is one big pile of climbing a mountain, only to need to climb even bigger one when you reach a summit. Personally, it has been very hard to emotionally tolerate the stresses and concerns of students in the classes below me. Step 1 wrecked me and encompassed my entire life for 6 months to a year. Once I was done and was balancing shelves, rotations, step 2, planning 4th year, and getting LORs, it was really difficult for me to put in the energy to help and listen to the woes of those going through what I had just done. That isn't to say I don't sympathize with them, but I just don't really have the ability to adequately engage in those topics once I've surpassed them
If I was a resident and I had a MS1 partner who was stressing out about their Neuro 1 final, idk if I could handle it/take their stress seriously considering the stress I was going through as a resident, especially if that stress was negatively impacting the relationship.
Its akin to trying to date a high school senior when you're a freshmen in college, or dating an undergrad as a grad student. Its exhausting and hard to find common ground to relate it in such different worlds.
If you're trying to just do a FWB things though that's probably pretty dooable lol
If I was a resident and I had a MS1 partner who was stressing out about their Neuro 1 final, idk if I could handle it/take their stress seriously considering the stress I was going through as a resident, especially if that stress was negatively impacting the relationship.
Its akin to trying to date a high school senior when you're a freshmen in college, or dating an undergrad as a grad student. Its exhausting and hard to find common ground to relate it in such different worlds.
If you're trying to just do a FWB things though that's probably pretty dooable lol
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K