Med Students do these??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ellaellaella

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Watch at least 2 whole football game on Sunday
2. Go out on Friday night
3. Watch at least one tv show once a day
4. Drive back for the weekends a couple of time a month (if within 2-3 hours from school campus)
5. Date
6. Make quick dinner, breakfast or just sandwich for lunch
7. Take a short break after studying for half hour
8. Work part time 10 hours a week
9. Do some research during academic years


so DO THEY?????????
 
1. Watch at least 2 whole football game on Sunday
2. Go out on Friday night
3. Watch at least one tv show once a day
4. Drive back for the weekends a couple of time a month (if within 2-3 hours from school campus)
5. Date
6. Make quick dinner, breakfast or just sandwich for lunch
7. Take a short break after studying for half hour
8. Work 10 hours a day
9. Do some research during academic years


so DO THEY?????????


In order from MOST likely to LEAST likely:

3 > 7 > 6 = 9 > 2 > 5 > 1 > 4

Just a guess.
 
Yes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9

No: 8 (if you're talking about an actual paid job - no way you'll have time for that)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Watch at least 2 whole football game on Sunday
2. Go out on Friday night
3. Watch at least one tv show once a day
4. Drive back for the weekends a couple of time a month (if within 2-3 hours from school campus)
5. Date
6. Make quick dinner, breakfast or just sandwich for lunch
7. Take a short break after studying for half hour
8. Work part time 10 hours a week
9. Do some research during academic years


so DO THEY?????????

1. No, I watch my team, and thats enough. Sunday is a study day.
2. Yes, I go out once a week. It's enough to keep me sane, but twice might make me fall behind.
3. Yep, tivo baby.
4. Not a bad idea, family is important and they'll send you back with a ton of food.
5. I'm currently in a long distance relationship, and I don't see why it's such a problem for people. If you take the time to make it work, it will. If you're not willing to put in the effort, you were doomed from the start.
6. That's vital
7. That depends on you.
8. Highly recommend against that. Take out the loans. Nailing the boards and having more loans is much better than doing mediocre on the boards and saving yourself a few grand each year in the long run.
9. If it's available, do it.
 
Med students are people too.

While I may not do all of those things you listed (I prefer college football to pro, and I like the Pac 10, which isn't always on in WI, especially U of A), my first two years, I cooked a lot of full dinners for a couple friends and myself. Now, I still make food, but it's generally PB&J or Cap'n Crunch (with Crunchberries), or I bake, when I'm bored, and take it to my rotations.

It's all about time management. =)
 
1. Watch at least 2 whole football game on Sunday
2. Go out on Friday night
3. Watch at least one tv show once a day
4. Drive back for the weekends a couple of time a month (if within 2-3 hours from school campus)
5. Date
6. Make quick dinner, breakfast or just sandwich for lunch
7. Take a short break after studying for half hour
8. Work part time 10 hours a week
9. Do some research during academic years


so DO THEY?????????

1. Not very interested in watching 2 full football games, but I could probably do it considering how I usually sleep in late and then watch TV for a while afterwards.
2. I go out probably every other Friday. If I didn't care as much about grades I could still pass and go out every Friday. I could also drink less when I'm out and go out every Friday haha, because I tend to be out of commission (as far as studying goes) for most of Saturday after a night of partying.
3. Usually watch an hour of TV during the lunch hour in combination which eating lunch
4. Home is a 15 hour drive for me, so I only fly home and only on the holidays
5. I've gone out on plenty of dates since I started school, but haven't been in a serious relationship in med school yet, so I don't know demanding that would be (probably would work out if you dated another med student or a dental student or at least someone with a similarly hectic schedule).
6. I make breakfast and lunch every day and usually make a quick dinner every other day.
7. Short break after studying for 30 mins???? That sounds like a waste of time to me haha
8. I don't work, but I know plenty of ppl who do and they usually work jobs that they are able to sit at a desk and study while working
9. Some ppl are able to do it right now in my class (i've talked to ppl in M1, M2, M4 who are all doing research - not so much M3 though)
 
Moving to Pre-Allo as "What is medical school like?" threads are not allopathic medical student issues. Allopathic medical students read and respond to threads in pre-allo and may follow and respond to this one if desired.
 
1. Watch at least 2 whole football game on Sunday
2. Go out on Friday night
3. Watch at least one tv show once a day
4. Drive back for the weekends a couple of time a month (if within 2-3 hours from school campus)
5. Date
6. Make quick dinner, breakfast or just sandwich for lunch
7. Take a short break after studying for half hour
8. Work part time 10 hours a week
9. Do some research during academic years


so DO THEY?????????

1. i watch my team if they are on TV
2. non-test weeks I go out friday, saturday
3. no, cable is too expensive
4. i don't
5. i try
6. eating out is expensive, i almost always make something
7. i constantly take breaks
8. ummmmmmm...NO
9. yup
 
1. the 49ers suck, but I'll watch the good games, either college or pro
2. I never study on Friday night
3. probably not, but I have a few shows I watch every week
4. I live 3,000 miles from home, but we get out of the city we're in 1-2x/month to go hiking or visit some nearby family
5. I'm sure some do, I'm married. It's going great, even w/ school
6. I cook some sort of simplified meal for my wife and I most nights. Make my own lunch too, it's a lot cheaper that way
7. Probably go for an hr at a time
8. not me, but people in my class do. One guy works as an EMT ~16hrs/week
9. Definitely
 
can you guys quote the OP, so lazy POS like me don't have to scroll😀 (*wishes he was joking*)
 
med students can do all of these, particularly if they have their hearts set on primary care

or radiology

you guys need to relax. 😎

you will freak out for the first block or two and then figure it out. each year/month gets easier until the best year of our life ...... 4th year baby

Add going a week or two without reading and having kids. Life happens, you might even fail a test. Just remember that Step I is all that matters!!!
 
1. Watch at least 2 whole football game on Sunday
2. Go out on Friday night
3. Watch at least one tv show once a day
4. Drive back for the weekends a couple of time a month (if within 2-3 hours from school campus)
5. Date
6. Make quick dinner, breakfast or just sandwich for lunch
7. Take a short break after studying for half hour
8. Work part time 10 hours a week
9. Do some research during academic years


so DO THEY?????????


yes to all, except 8, unless you meant to type "study 10 hours per day" in which case, yes to 8 also, at least during exam blocks 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Yes (well, I much prefer college, so make that Saturday)
2. Yes (but I'm married... we always do something together on weekends)
3. Yes
4. No (12 hours from other family)
5. Yes (married, does that count? surely having a child does...)
6. Yes
7. Yes
8. Yes (often ~20+ hours/week, sometimes none, it varies)
9. Yes
 
Just when I thought this board couldn't get anymore redundant, another genius makes an entire thread for another irrelevant, likely already-answered-for the-millionth-time question.
 
Everyday is not the same for medical school. If you're in the first week of a block then you could do all of that. If you're in the week of a test you won't do much of anything except study. The two or three weeks in between the first and last weeks of a test block study time increasingly increases until you're at 12 hours/day (12 hours is about the max anyone can do IMO). Also, I typically try to study 1-1.5 hours before taking any type of break. Taking a short 5 (which will inevitable turn into a 10-15) minute break every 30 minutes adds up to a lot of time not study over the course of a day.
 
NO THEY AREN'T. YOU GUYS ARE ROBOTS!


1163895660455fa36cbc3e1.jpg




That post reminded me of the propaganda from the Anti-Robot Movement . Always out to give us robots a bad name!
 
If only there were some way for you to avoid reading threads like this.

If only people actually posted something worth discussing more frequently.
But alas, This forum is filled with "Is a W my death sentence?!?!," "I STILL HAVE NO INTERVIEWS," "Harry Potter Lovers Anonymous (joking)," and my personal favorite, "Would you take a $100mil or admission to your top choice medical school?" I had higher hopes for premeds . . . whoops.
 
If only people actually posted something worth discussing more frequently.
But alas, This forum is filled with "Is a W my death sentence?!?!," "I STILL HAVE NO INTERVIEWS," "Harry Potter Lovers Anonymous (joking)," and my personal favorite, "Would you take a $100mil or admission to your top choice medical school?" I had higher hopes for premeds . . . whoops.

You've certainly not disappointed 👍
 
It's not that I don't have time to do lots of other stuff in med school, it's that I don't I have the mental stamina to do much else when I'm done studying. My brain is just shot.
 
1. Watch at least 2 whole football game on Sunday
Requires some budgeting of the time (you might not get to do this and have your whole friday/sat free, and you might not get to do it if you have a test coming up, but yes, it's possible.

2. Go out on Friday night
(see above, I usually take my Friday afternoon/evenings off, but then it's back to the grind on Sat/Sun)

3. Watch at least one tv show once a day
Tivo helps. You might not have regularly scheduled free time, but there is time once you're done studying, plus you have to eat...

4. Drive back for the weekends a couple of time a month (if within 2-3 hours from school campus)
A few times a month is probably a stretch... but I've seen it done. It all depends on how much studying you can get away with doing/not doing.

yes.

6. Make quick dinner, breakfast or just sandwich for lunch
easily, sometimes you can even go all out with the cooking if you enjoy that sort of thing.

7. Take a short break after studying for half hour
Depends on how you study, but if you can keep your breaks short, then fine. Just don't take a half-hour break for every half-hour you study.

8. Work part time 10 hours a week
Probably not. Your school might have a work-study program that will let you plan your schedule and do things directly related to your school work. (A girl in my class does work-study where she is in charge of setting up the IT for lectures, probably not too much extra time involved), but you don't want to be spreading yourself too thin between class and what precious-little free-time you'll have.

9. Do some research during academic years
Mostly, this gets done during the M1 summer, but it is theoretically possible to do some extracurricular research during the academic year, just be careful as mentioned above in point 8.



so DO THEY?????????[/QUOTE]


Haha ahhhh I need to get some insurance against robot attacks

also
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbQbbcUj7C4[/YOUTUBE]
 
wow I do all of those things, except I go out 4 times a week, and still manage to get good "stats"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To also honestly answer the OP, I would like to reiterate what others have said, it's all a matter of what your priorities are. You can make time to do some, but probably not all of the things on that list if that's what is important to you. You really have to find what works for you.

On a related note (not really) don't buy into the anti-robot extremist point of view, robots are already in medicine and are helping care for your loved ones.


Hatred of robots is mostly based on ignorance and needs to stop:

1163895578455fa31a380d4.jpg
 
1. Watch at least 2 whole football game on Sunday
2. Go out on Friday night
3. Watch at least one tv show once a day
4. Drive back for the weekends a couple of time a month (if within 2-3 hours from school campus)
5. Date
6. Make quick dinner, breakfast or just sandwich for lunch
7. Take a short break after studying for half hour
8. Work part time 10 hours a week
9. Do some research during academic years


so DO THEY?????????

All this depends on you, your priorities, and what kind of student you are. But based on most people I know: You will watch a couple of TV shows a week on non-exam weeks, but perhaps not daily (definitely not daily on exam weeks). You will be able to go out one or even both weekend nights each week that isn't an exam week. However, unlike college, you won't drink as much because you may be getting up early ot study. You won't miss many meals during the first two years unless by choice. You will be able to take short breaks while studying, if that helps you study longer. You will be able to do some dating (but that counts as the going out on a weekend night).
You won't be driving home a couple of times a month, won't be holding down a part time job. You will be able to follow your team (one game), but I wouldn't plan on a whole day of football each weekend. And in terms of research, it is encouraged, but a minority of students feel they have time. If you do research, it cuts down on some of the other stuff (TV, football, dating) you listed.

All bets are off in the 3rd year, when your time is not your own.
 
Can anyone explain how bad 3rd year is. 3rd year is the worst right? I read a thread about a student being on surgery rotation and they didn't even have time to go to go to the bathroom or eat even. THey also couldn't even get any sleep.
 
Can anyone explain how bad 3rd year is. 3rd year is the worst right? I read a thread about a student being on surgery rotation and they didn't even have time to go to go to the bathroom or eat even. THey also couldn't even get any sleep.

3rd year sounds somewhat variable with some rotations being much more taxing than others. It basically sounds like a warmup to internship except with the added stress of evals that will greatly factor in to your competitiveness for residency match. This is my perception of it atleast from what I've heard.
 
Can anyone explain how bad 3rd year is. 3rd year is the worst right? I read a thread about a student being on surgery rotation and they didn't even have time to go to go to the bathroom or eat even. THey also couldn't even get any sleep.

3rd year sounds somewhat variable with some rotations being much more taxing than others. It basically sounds like a warmup to internship except with the added stress of evals that will greatly factor in to your competitiveness for residency match. This is my perception of it atleast from what I've heard.

Last month was my hardest month by far. I was on ortho trauma, we rounded anywhere from 5-6am (usually 5:30), and I stayed usually until 4:30 if there was nothing going on, but I also had a week where were slammed with stuff, and I didn't leave before 8 all week (and stayed until 10-10:30 some nights).

Right now, I've had a week and a half of lectures for anesthesia/ER/trauma that start between 8-9 and get out between 11-4, depending on the day. I've been coming home and sleeping 10 hours a night (mostly because I have a terrible cold or something). Starting tomorrow, I have to be in the OR for anesthesia, which means I have to start getting up early again (not cool when I'm still not over my stupid cold).

Note though, I'm in the 6 "easier" months, not the "Big 3." My school divides it up with big 3 1st or 2nd part of your m3 year (2 months of surg, peds, med) then the other cores in the other 6 months (psych/neuro, ob/gyn, family med, anesthesia, elective). The big 3 are generally more time demanding due to call requirements and just being those rotations. I'm sure I won't love life quite as much as I do now in Jan/Feb when I'm on surgery and it's frigid and I'm getting up at 3am.

The subjective grading also sucks.
 
I'm sure I won't love life quite as much as I do now in Jan/Feb when I'm on surgery and it's frigid and I'm getting up at 3am.

This is what scares me about coming to MCW.... God, how am I going to handle 0 degree weather. I'm a weak pathetic fool. I think its cold when it is 60 degree high temp coupled with 40 degree low (which is what COLD winter days are like here in Berkeley).
 
do they have time to do sports or gym as part of a daily routine?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
a large percentage of my classmates do hit the gym regularly... I'll admit that my trips have tapered off a bit more than I'd like as we've gotten into the anatomy block and I'm spending more time studying.

That would explain your avatar. At least you are trying to burn some calories dancing.