MED students help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alikarimi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i already have the MSAR book but i dont trust their stats
what do med students think are the skools a student should apply to and which are those one keep as a fall back school

Members don't see this ad.

The MSAR is published by the Association of American Medical Colleges. You can't trust the stats from anybody else EXCEPT them. Believe me, the MSAR is an extremely reliable and helpful tool. Just keep in mind that their GPA/MCATs are medians of all students accepted, not matriculants.

Also, deciding which schools are "safety" schools and which are "reach" schools is completely dependent on the applicants stats, ECs, LORs, etc.

what do med students think are the skools a student should apply to and which are those one keep as a fall back school

why wouldnt you trust their stats? just curious

Members don't see this ad :)

First, not being able to spell school is pretty lame for a future professional, who when all is done, will have far more school than the average person. Second, there is no way to tell someone which schools to apply to and which might be backups without knowing the persons credentials. Third, many people will not have a "fall back" school. There are only 120 some odd allo med schools and each gets thousands of applicants for 150 spots. The average stats at most US allo med schools are better than a 3.5/30, and unless you are far above average, you cannot consider anything a "fall back". And numeric credentials are only part of the equation.
So your question isn't fleshed out enough to address, but I suspect the answers you seek are in the MSAR, and if you don't trust that book, you should trust things you read on the internet even less.:rolleyes:

So .... you don't trust the MSAR but you trust opinionated med students that you know nothing about? wow

wow u guys are harsh

Um no, you asked a question that cannot be answered from the facts given, and suggested distrust of one of the few objective resources. At any rate, a lot of what you want to know can probably be gleaned from searching existing threads, though a lot of it is going to have its factual genesis derived from the MSAR data.

Everyone should definitely apply to Harvard and Hopkins. If you can't get in there, don't even bother applying, there aren't any other good schools.

Woah

Some people are so quick to jump at the poor guy. He could be asking a legit question, maybe he just mis-worded it.

School data isn't always straightforward... especially when concerning differences between Matriculant/Accepted/Applied/etc scores.

As for the OP Alikarimi (why do i have a feeling you are Persian/Central Asian? haha), there are no such things as "safety" or "fall-back" medical schools in the U.S.

Be honest with yourself, analyze what you have to offer and trust the MSAR (and ultimately your own self).

1-Trust their stats. Its their job to get them right and any of us faceless schmucks you are trusting would only be regurgitating the stats we got from MSAR at some point.

2-There is way more to selecting schools than stats, so the fact that you don't trust stats doesn't really matter in the first place. Research one of the many threads devoted to "which schools should I apply to?!?!?" (I think I might have started one back in the day before I learned that the search function at the top of the page sucks and you should use the one described in one of the stickies)

3-Law2Doc has a point. I don't know which is actually more sad: you honestly misspelling 'school' or thinking it is 'kewl' to spell it 'skool.' Yes it is the internet, but this isn't a middle school chat room.

robert frost once said, "those who take the path less taken often prosper greater".. think about it my friend