Med students over 40?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amyozigirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is contemplating or has already commenced med school and is over 40? I am a mother of 4 with one on the way who has started the ball rolling for just such an endeavour. I am presently 39, will turn 40 in June. It has been a lifelong dream of mine, and I have the aptitude (iq in mid 150's, "A" average) and the motivation, but am wondering what the attitude of med schools is both here in Canada and also Australia, where I am from? My aim is to work in rural medicine until they deem me "too old" to be useful, then to go and work in third world areas where my expertise will still be valuable. I would love to hear from anyone with anything to contribute. I am also writing an undergrad paper on the subject, so anyone who knows of links for further info, stats, etc would have my gratitude.

Cheers to all

Amy

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just a few years short of 40. I'm 36 with two kids and an excellent job. Medicine has always been my calling, and events of the past few years enabled me to finally apply. 6 interviews so far, so we will see how it goes. I know that one of my weaknesses is diminished short-term memory, so I'll have to compensate for that. As far as clinical practice goes, experience and wisdom should be an advantage. Assess what your fears and concerns are and decide if it is all worth it. For me, it was.
Good luck.

I'm barely 38 and starting in August. There are many older than that frequenting this site. You might search some posts in the Nontraditional forum. Another good source is OldPreMeds. Don't let a few years or naysayers hold you back. Good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so you know IQ really has little to do with finishing med school succesfully; I have met my share of idiots who have completed med school.However, your A average hopefully shows your smart and more importantly hard working. Good luck.

At my school, where 60 % of my class is 20 years old, we have a 38 years old guy.

There are two people over 40 in my class and about 10 that are over 30. Good luck!

why did you include your iq score in there? :rolleyes:

I don't know a whole lot about the Canadian and Australian medical school systems, but in the United States there are many non-traditional applicants like yourself. I think the oldest medical school applicant was actually in his sixties.

That being said, it is harder to convince schools that you're dedicated to the enormous looming task when you've spent your working life doing other things. As I understand it, adcoms are wary of "mid-life crises." Don't let this deter you though, just be sure you want to spend the next 2 years preparing, 1 year applying, 4 years in med school, and 3 years in residency before you'll be free to practice on your own.

As far as "3rd world" practice goes, don't wait until you're "useless" elsewhere to do that sort of work. Those people need competent care even more than most of us do. If one has outlived his or her usefulness in the west, that doc is going to have another thing coming when he or she gets to an area where the destitution is absolute. The social, medical, and surgical problems are so complex and foreign to westerners that I can't imagine a physician being useful there at anytime but the height of their career. When I was overseas, I met one old surgeon that had recently retired and decided to do some volunteer work in the 3rd world. He was so overwhelmed by patient population and the enormity of the problems that he was not only unable to render quality care, he was barely willing to render any care at all. Every day at the clinic in which I worked was like grand rounds at Harvard. Go there in your education and throughout your career, not just as a retirement.

All the best. If this is what you want, then go for it!

-dope-

hnbui said:
why did you include your iq score in there? :rolleyes:
peoples' iqs are how the rest of the world quantifies their intelligence. It's not that unreasonable if you haven't been in school for a while and haven't taken the MCAT. She was just trying to give us an idea of her intellect, which is entirely pertinent.

-dope-

dopaminophile said:
peoples' iqs are how the rest of the world quantifies their intelligence.

Coming from a career other than medicine, I dispute this. There is really no reason a non-developmentally challenged adult would take an IQ test unless they felt insecure about their intelligence, or for some reason needed bragging rights. No other profession or career path I am aware of requires such a test. (Maybe there is some broader use of IQs in australia that I am not aware, though...)

dopaminophile said:
I think the oldest medical school applicant was actually in his sixties.

UT Southwestern admitted a 71 or 72 yo in the last few years. He didn't make it, dropped out. I was told that he couldn't keep up with the frantic pace. This info came from someone associated with the teaching hospital for 30 years, but I did not confirm it. Apparently, it was headline news at the time.

OrthoFixation said:
UT Southwestern admitted a 71 or 72 yo in the last few years. He didn't make it, dropped out. I was told that he couldn't keep up with the frantic pace. This info came from someone associated with the teaching hospital for 30 years, but I did not confirm it. Apparently, it was headline news at the time.

:)

amyozigirl said:
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is contemplating or has already commenced med school and is over 40? I am a mother of 4 with one on the way who has started the ball rolling for just such an endeavour. I am presently 39, will turn 40 in June. It has been a lifelong dream of mine, and I have the aptitude (iq in mid 150's, "A" average) and the motivation, but am wondering what the attitude of med schools is both here in Canada and also Australia, where I am from? My aim is to work in rural medicine until they deem me "too old" to be useful, then to go and work in third world areas where my expertise will still be valuable. I would love to hear from anyone with anything to contribute. I am also writing an undergrad paper on the subject, so anyone who knows of links for further info, stats, etc would have my gratitude.

Cheers to all

Amy

In my opinion, if you have the ability and the motivation, there is no reason not to follow your heart. These are no longer the days when people retire in their mid-50's. Even if you begin working as a physician at age 50, you still have 30+ years of service ahead of you, be it pay or volunteer -- and as far as I'm concerned, we need more people like you who have a strong desire to help the underserved. These communities need all the helping hands they can get.

It is likely that you will have to really prove your love for medicine more than most "traditional" applicants -- more volunteer work, more exposure to medicine (plus, of course, doing really well on the mcat) -- but where there's a will, there's a way. It's also essential to research schools to find which ones seek out "non-traditional" applicants bc different schools have very different interests. Do your research, get the experience, and you'll make it!!

Best of luck, I'm pulling for you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm almost 37 and am a MSII. I believe I am the second oldest in my class. although there are a few others close to my age. I also have three children and can relate to the stress of trying to go through med school as a Mom. It is very important to have an excellent support system. I have a saint for a husband and parents who live very nearby and help out a great deal. We have a nanny who comes to our home and cares for the kids (ages 8,6, and 18 mos). I am very lucky to be able to afford in-home childcare. It is a challenge, but I have never been happier and my family is happy as well.

I would advise you to think hard if med school is really what you want. For me the answer was 'yes', but I considered other less time consuming options such as PA school. Other non-traditional students I knew in post-bacc decided to go the PA route instead of the MD and they are now close to finishing their degrees. I still have another 2 yrs of school and then at least 3 yrs of residency. I have another friend and fellow Mom who is getting her APRN. Both PAs and ARPNs have a great deal of autonomy, a wide variety of jobs to choose from and excellent salaries. The career of an MD is certainly different from them. Just weigh all the plusses and negatives before making the plunge into med school.

Good luck to you.

dopaminophile said:
peoples' iqs are how the rest of the world quantifies their intelligence. It's not that unreasonable if you haven't been in school for a while and haven't taken the MCAT. She was just trying to give us an idea of her intellect, which is entirely pertinent.

-dope-

a measure of her intelligence was succintly given by stating that she had an A average.

Also iq tests are relatively cultural and unreliable. ie. id she use the "official" iq test or was it one of those off the internet thing.

good point hnbui, iq test are really unreliable....

i can testify that the wechler adult intelligence test (proctored by a psychologist face to face) is MUCH harder than a test from the internet. also these test vary in score so much that 150 is meaningless unless we have the test name along with it

other than that....

to the OP
i know people might not like to hear this but...... i think 40 is too old to start.. if it was TRUELY a life long dream why not commit to it before? life passes by whether you like it or not... you can probably get into a med school and complete it but it will probably be harder at your age (with kids, less energy, and financial if any)
good luck

dopaminophile said:

-dope-
What are we ? An adcom? Why must she give us an idea of her intellect for us to be able to answer her question?

On a tangentially related note, I love how SDNers get stuck on the most minute detail of a thread so much so that the thread loses its original intent. Judging from the responses thus far, you'd think the OP asked: "Does my IQ of 150 mean I'll be a successful medical student? This is hardly what she asked.

Law2Doc said:
There is really no reason a non-developmentally challenged adult would take an IQ test unless they felt insecure about their intelligence, or for some reason needed bragging rights.

I fully agree. :D This college house I was living in a while back rented out a room to this guy our age. He didn't go to college, and he hadn't officially graduated from high school either. He seemed pretty insecure about it and kept mentioning that he had so-and-so IQ. The most annoying part was that this figure he kept mentioning was from an internet IQ test - which is complete bs.

To the OP: don't listen to people on this thread saying it's too late to start med school. It definetly not too late - in fact, it's just right. GOod luck!

MiguelAC said:
to the OP
i know people might not like to hear this but...... i think 40 is too old to start.. if it was TRUELY a life long dream why not commit to it before? life passes by whether you like it or not... you can probably get into a med school and complete it but it will probably be harder at your age (with kids, less energy, and financial if any)
good luck

Some of us had to wait and save up for 20 years to be able to afford to go to med school. A student from a low-income family who has been making $5/hour working their way through college has to be pretty brave to 'commit' to >$100,000 in student debt.

There are plenty of students in their 30s, and even many in their 40s, who are doing just fine in med school. Fortunately we have not realized how decrepit and lethargic we are, and somehow some of us even do very well.

P.S. to the OP: I found Canadian schools to be very difficult for older applicants, since many of them require you to have taken prereq courses while you were enrolled full-time in school (e.g. I think McGill has this requirement). U of Ottawa wouldn't even look at my application because my GPA was too low (with an A average from a Canadian school); I got rejected pre-interview at Mac; fortunately the US schools were kinder and I did well in interviews and acceptances (with dual citizenship).

MiguelAC said:
to the OP
good luck

40 is not too old if you are motivated, hard working and in good health -- a handful of people in your age bracket matriculate each year and most make it through.
You will likely find fewer negative comments like the above on the nontraditionalist board -- on this board the bulk of the crowd is still in college.

Miguel, I understand your concerns for the well being of older students, however, sometimes the calling comes later for people. I don't think it's right to assume people cannot do something based on age. Not all 40 year olds have kids, a lack of energy, or other complicating factors. In fact, having a spouse, especially one who is working, might make things a lot easier for a medical student. I think it depends on the individual.

RaistlinMajere said:
Miguel, while I understand your concerns for the well being of older students, . . .

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What a diplomat. Nicely said. You are either a politician or an intellectually mature individual.

Thanks so much for all your input! I figured Canadian schools may be more difficult, and I am already completing the pre-req's and a bachelors simultaneously to try and fulfill them. However, the situation in australia looks much more attractive (not to mention the lifestyle etc!) so I may go that route.

I realise I am biting off alot, but even the hugest meal is consumed one mouthful at a time! So, so long as I can keep getting up and keep chewing I'm okay with it! My children think it is awesome that this is what I want to do, my 12 year old son is talking about us having a mixed practice together - he wants to be a Vet. Could make for some interesting clientelle! My partner is younger than I, and is also behind me 100 percent. We will see what we see.

As for my iq, please forgive my ignorance. I certainly didn't mean to imply it was important, nor have I thought of it as a source of bragging rights. I had the tests administered professionally as part of a thorough career assessment, which I took to confirm I was headed in the right direction with this. I was assured the results were in keeping with proper testing protocols, but hey who knows? I know I have so far been able to handle whatever gets thrown my way, so I'm okay with whatever it may or may not be!

Thanks again to all of you who have had input. I have checked out old premeds and it is a great site.

Take care, and the fullest of success to each of you

Amy

Reactions: 1 user
MiguelAC said:
good point hnbui, iq test are really unreliable....

i can testify that the wechler adult intelligence test (proctored by a psychologist face to face) is MUCH harder than a test from the internet. also these test vary in score so much that 150 is meaningless unless we have the test name along with it

other than that....

to the OP
good luck

Thank God adcoms don't think like you do.....

TripleDegree said:
Thank God adcoms don't think like you do.....

Amen to that comment! I will be 42 when I begin med school this fall. I am tremendously grateful for this opportunity, made possible by adcoms who were willing to look beyond misconceptions and stereotypes to envision the capable, compassionate physician I will become. Was my age a factor in the admission process? Yes. Has it stopped me? Will it stop me? No way.
Adios, Miguel.

Reactions: 1 user
amyozigirl said:

Cheers to all

Amy

Well, I'm not 40, but I'll turn 36 when I start school at UW this fall. I switched careers from law to medicine. The schools loved my "different" background and experience. I had OK stats (3.4 undergrad; 3.95 grad, not including law school which was 2.7; and a 31R) but I got interviews just about everhwere I applied. I got my top choice at UW.

I don't know about the schools in Canada and Austraila, and I don't know the rules for foreign applicants to US schools. If possible, you would do well to apply to UW if you are truely interested in Rural Medicine and can prove that through your ec activities, life experience, and/or background. Although UW generally doesn't interview people from outside the the region (Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Alaska), it DOES interview those who have a demonstrated interest in Rural Medicine. Plus it's at least CLOSE to Canada.

Your age is only a problem at some schools. If you see that the average matriculant is 23, you can guess that life experience isn't important to the adcom there and I wouldn't bother applying. But increasingly, schools are favoring the non-traditional student who brings experience to the table. I'd go for it.

Also, if you are interested in family medicine, I would STRONGLY encourage you to look at the DO philosophy and DO schools. They get a really bad rap on the pre-allopathic website, but some are really very good. Check it out. Talk to some people from those schools. I liked Arizona (AZCOM) the best.

Good luck! :)