Medical Assistant or LPN or Paramedic or RN...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PsychadelicTech

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So trying to figure out the next step in my life in establishing a career for myself. I want to become an RN but the road to that has been filled with rejection.

I have 4 scenarios to consider and seeking feedback on what direction to choose.

Am thinking of going the Medical Assistant route or Paramedic route. Only downside with the CMA route is I don't believe there is a Bridge program where the Medic route has a Bridge program.

With that said seems more CMA jobs out there over a Medic. Medic does seem to open a variety of doors for different job's.

In my State t's cheaper by $15 Thousand dollars to go the Medic and CMA route than the LPN route. Also the programs are much more flexible and able to work full time. Think they meet 3 times a week during the day 9 to 1.

The LPN program I have to give up working Saturdays. There is another part time LPN program in the area; however, would have to give up working M-T because the program is 5 to 10 at night. I get home from work by 445PM if I work days. The other opition which is 50/50 could see if work can put me on a 16/8/16 schedule every F-Su which could happen. Also the LPN program cost about $30K to $35K total.

If I do become a CMA, Medic, or LPN I can apply to jobs in States with lower COL and lower tuition cost.

The final opition is a 2 yr RN program that cost about $45K in total. Only downside it's a 70 mile round trip drive to the program and home. It only meets 3 days a week. Guaranteed admission if you can get enough points where I am close to. I just have to take 4 filler classes at the school and I would be all set.

Appreciate any insight can offer up.