Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was surprised at how much I liked this program. Great training, the city is pretty cool, the residents are very happy, the chairman is really nice and pretty powerful. They did very well for fellowships last year - med retina at joslin (harvard affiliated), cornea at meei...other good stuff. I think this is a great place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Summary: 3 residents per year. Current chair is glaucoma and an awesome retina guy from CPMC is being groomed for PD (Dr. Wilkes). The chairman is well-connected. They interviewed 40 of us for 3 spots. Main training sites are the Eye Institute (stand alone building), VA (10 minutes away), and Children's Hospital of Wisconsin (really nice). The main eye building is a bit old and beat up, but it's cool that the department has its own building. Call is q6 for the first two years. Good research opportunities especially in imaging. Cataract numbers 160-180. Tons of trauma (maybe too much, the residents seemed exhausted). Very good fellowship placement, especially in retina and plastics. MCW used to be more of a powerhouse than it is currently. My sense is that University of Wisconsin now has the better of the two programs. To be honest I was not very impressed with the place. There was no introduction to the interview day and we jumped straight into interviews. I got a weird vibe from some of the residents and I was not convinced that they were truly happy. Multiple faculty members were abrasive during interviews and did not strike me as the type of attendings I would like to learn from. Malignant might be too harsh of a word to describe the program, but I left Milwaukee with a bad taste in my mouth. This place has tons of positives, especially if you are interested in plastics or retina, but I ended up ranking it very low.

(posted from a private PM)

I apologize if the wording in my previous post was too strong, but I honestly did not have a good interview experience. No ulterior motives here. I did not even interview at Wisconsin so I do not have a dog in the game. Perhaps you interviewed in the afternoon? My interview was in the morning and there was no introduction to the day. Definitely an exam for stereo and a tour of the eye center, the adult ED and the peds ED.

The residents were very willing to answer questions, I agree, but here is another perspective: No resident is ever going to bad mouth their program on interview day. Ever. It is in their best interest to focus on the positives of the place they are training. Another perspective: Many of these program reviews on SDN are relative to the strength of the other programs at which an applicant interviewed. For example, a student who interviews at mostly lower tier schools + MCW will likely have a more favorable impression than a student who interviews at UCSF/Wills/Iowa +MCW. Of course there is a spectrum between those two extremes, but you get my point.

My goal in posting my summary of interview day was to provide an additional perspective alongside the previous “cheerleader” post (not trying to be derogatory, just couldn’t think of a better word). My post was a balanced and reasonable assessment of my interview day and I highlighted the good stuff about MCW in addition to the reasons I ranked it lower.

Ophthalmology is a small community, as you know, and anonymity for critical reviews is important for that reason. Based on a single post in this online forum there is no real way for you to know whether or not I have a bad personality. Or if I was happy with my match. Maybe just take my word for it: I’m not a jerk and I was very happy with my match. Sorry for ruffling any feathers, congrats on matching period (we both know that’s a HUGE accomplishment) and best wishes with your career.

(Posted from same member as above)

Just wanted to add a review since this thread is getting active. I got a good impression of MCW. It seems like a really solid place and I interviewed at a mix of top, middle, and lower tier places. I definitely think the interview day could have been better. It didn’t feel cohesive to me. It is lacking an introductory session with a program overview. They also do not print materials anymore so I didn’t leave the day with a folder like I did for all the other programs. However, I liked that it was a shorter interview day and still feel like I had plenty of time to ask questions, especially with all the residents around during downtime between interviews. I thought the faculty were very friendly and easy to talk to. I can think of maybe one who was less warm than the others, but certainly not abrasive. [As a side note, every program has at least one faculty member that is more difficult to work with than the others…whether this person is present on the interview day or how he/she acts on said day is a separate issue.]

Things I liked about this program: tends to the autonomous side, good clinical and surgical volume/numbers, free-standing eye institute (sure, it was not the most cosmetically beautiful eye institute that I saw on the trail, but it is still a highly functional free-standing dedicated eye facility), good research opportunities, good wetlab, well-connected faculty, good fellowship match, residents feel ready to do either comprehensive or fellowship, good VA (10 min away) which is essentially resident-run.

Minuses to this program: 3 residents/yr so a lot of primary call. Also call is busy - busy hospital system, with a lot of trauma. No elective or international time. No county. 3rd year is all VA.

Other features: Annual joint phaco course with U Wisconsin and Iowa. Orbital dissection course. Regular didactics on an 18-month schedule. High salary (57k for pgy1) for a city with a below average cost of living (eg, you can afford to live on Lake Michigan and also start paying loans and saving for a house/retirement/etc!). Milwaukee has some cool neighborhoods for young people (Third Ward, East Side, etc) and has an art and music scene, cute coffee shops, breweries, etc.

Re: earlier comments about U Wisconsin: I interviewed at both Wisconsin programs, and I think they are both solid programs that I would have been happy to match at. Advisors familiar with both that I spoke to placed these in the same tier. Both interview days could use some improvement. MCW’s day is mentioned above, and U Wisconsin’s day is just way too long (6:45 am -> 4 pm) with too many behavioral and otherwise odd questions. The main deciding factor for me in determining which to rank higher was location. Milwaukee is ~3x the size of Madison and just seems to have more going on. Again, location is a matter of personal preference (clearly, the cold does not bother me), and I think both are strong programs that can get you where you want to go.

Haven't been on SDN in ages! So many feels. We loved all the people we interviewed and hope you are looking forward to matching w/ us.

Rank lists are due soon and match lists always help with ranking decisions.

2017 Fellowship Match
  • Glaucoma- Indiana University (w/ Lou Cantor)
  • Comprehensive x 2

2018 Fellowship Match (this year)
  • Glaucoma- Stanford University (w/ Kuldev Singh & Robert Chang)
  • Oculoplastics- Harvard/Mass Eye and Ear (w/ Michael Yoon & Suzanne Freitag)
  • Comprehensive x 1

Last edited: