Medical College of Wiscosin, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misfit

Blinded Me With Science
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks:

In less than two weeks, I will be attending the Medical College of Wisconsin (I call it the MedCOW for short, but maybe it should be called ca$hCOW for its expensiveness).

I just wanted to give a shout out to all my new fellow M-1s who will be joining me for the class of 2005.

I'd love to hear from any of you guys. You can also e-mail me privately at: [email protected]

Take care,

misfit

Members don't see this ad.

Hey-

I'm a second year at MCW. Welcome...

You can check out the Orientation manual at:
http://mcwmd.com/

See you around!

Hi mcwmark!

Cool, I hope to meet you in school this year. Obviously, at least ONE person survived the "dreaded" M-1 year.

Tell me, which class did you find to be most difficult? Also, did you have quality time to work out, party, see friends/family?

Any tips on making the M-1 year work out smoothly?

misfit

Members don't see this ad :)
M-1 year isn't all that bad.

People generally agreed these classes were the hardest:
Biochemistry
Physiology
Anatomy

And these were easier:
Cell Tissue Biology/Histology
Human Development
Neuroscience

Don't worry about time. There is an unbelievable amount of time to enjoy yourself, especially if you don't go to class :). Once you get a "feel" for the professors, you'll see that some love to ramble on in lecture--but you can learn all of the stuff in 10 minutes. You'll get copies of last year's notes from your "big bro/sis", as well as old tests.

Hi folks!

I was just accepted a few weeks ago, but I decided to defer until August 2002...I'm not the type of person that can move from California to Milwaukee in a few weeks. Is there anyone out there who has deferred(sp?) until August 2002?

-Sauce

MCW baby!

Hey saucy: Just curious, do you know how many people they ended up letting in off the non-resident wait list?

Just thought I'd welcome you guys to MCW. I'm a fourth year here and can't wait to get my MD in just 9 months.

I agree with MCW Mark about time in the first two years. A lot of people, including me, didn't go to class often. Notes, coops (student written notes), and books were good enough to do well in my opinion.

Third year and some of fourth year is a different story. If you wanna do well, you gotta work your ass off! Lots of days (depending on the specialty) when I'd go in at 5:30 am and come home at 6pm. Some rotations you only get 4 days off per week. I must admit, some of these are dependent on your residents, but OB/GYN and Surgery were especially tough, as is your medicine subinternship (4th year requirement). All had overnight call (30-36 hr shifts).

All in all, its a great school and a great experience. Enjoy it. I did, but still can't wait to start making some money.

Good Luck.

Star,

I don't know how many non-resident waitlisted folk were given acceptances. I will tell you that when MCW first ranked the waitlist (I believe around mid-May), I was ranked 65 our of ~167 or something like that. Are(were) you waitlisted at MCW?

-Sauce

I believe that half of those out-of-state interviewees are eventually given acceptances (about 200 out of 400). I have no idea how deep they will go into the waitlist, but I believe every year they will get through at least the top 1/3, and even through the top 1/2.

Saucy,
Yes, I was on the wait list (in the 20's) but I had already been accepted at my first choice school when I found out about my wait list position so I withdrew from consideration before I was accepted.

Star,

Good stuff...Unfortunately, I didn't get accepted to my first choice...

...HOLLYWOOD UPSTARS MEDICAL COLLEGE!!!

Yes, my idol is Dr. Nick Riviera from the Simpsons.

-Sauce

p.s. - Is Hollywood Upstairs Medical College accredited by the LCME?